Al MVP Thread | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Al MVP Thread

NJFINSFAN1

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
ARod Or Ortiz?
And why?

My vote would go to Ortiz, I know he just DH's, but man that guy gets clutch hit after clutch hit. 20 HR's after the 7th inning with the team down by a run or tied, that is just amazing.

ARod while having a great year, is not even the Yankees MVP, Mo is.

All bias aside, this should be no contest. Ortiz doesn't even play the field.

SpeedRush99 said:
All bias aside, this should be no contest. Ortiz doesn't even play the field.

I understand everyones arguement about Ortiz not playing the field however 2 things come to mind:

1.) Where's the rule saying a DH isn't allowed to win the MVP award?

2.) When a pitcher has won the award in the past in the AL, he never batted therefore he only played half the game like a DH. Plus a starting pitcher pitches in maybe 30 to 35 games and a RP pitches in 80 games?

Also again how can Arod win the MVP award when he's not even the MVP of his team? Take Arod out of the Yankee line up for the whole year and the Yankees would probably be in the same position they're in right now. Take Ortiz out of the Sox line up for the whole year and the Sox would be playing with 3rd place.

Ray Finkle said:
I understand everyones arguement about Ortiz not playing the field however 2 things come to mind:

2.) When a pitcher has won the award in the past in the AL, he never batted therefore he only played half the game like a DH. Plus a starting pitcher pitches in maybe 30 to 35 games and a RP pitches in 80 games?

Also again how can Arod win the MVP award when he's not even the MVP of his team? Take Arod out of the Yankee line up for the whole year and the Yankees would probably be in the same position they're in right now. Take Ortiz out of the Sox line up for the whole year and the Sox would be playing with 3rd place.

I agree, you can argue that Mo, Giambia and Sheff are just as much if not more MVP's for the yankees!

Ortiz has carried that Red Sox team, without him, they are in 3rd maybe 4th place!

Ray Finkle said:

1. No one said it was "against the rules"

2. Theres no comparison between a DH and a pitcher. No position has such a direct impact on the game as a pitcher. You answered your own statement, 30 games is the difference between 1st place and last place by far. If a pitcher plays lights out every start, he's a MVP.

SpeedRush99 said:
2. Theres no comparison between a DH and a pitcher. No position has such a direct impact on the game as a pitcher. You answered your own statement, 30 games is the difference between 1st place and last place by far. If a pitcher plays lights out every start, he's a MVP.

Tell that to Pedro Martinez in 2000 who got robbed of the MVP for Pudge.

i was torn with them. ARod is having such a monster year, but Papi has had so many damn clutch hits. after last night, i would put Papi in the lead. simply because if it wasnt for him in last nights game, they wouldnt even have shot in the playoffs really. not mention the whole year.

but i think it will come down to this series.

Ray Finkle said:
Tell that to Pedro Martinez in 2000 who got robbed of the MVP for Pudge.

Theres alot of things I'd like to tell Pedro :fire: :lol:

Nappy Roots said:
i was torn with them. ARod is having such a monster year, but Papi has had so many damn clutch hits. after last night, i would put Papi in the lead. simply because if it wasnt for him in last nights game, they wouldnt even have shot in the playoffs really. not mention the whole year.

but i think it will come down to this series.

Ortiz - .298, 47 HR, 146 RBI

A-Rod - .320, 47 HR, 129 RBI

Both hitters are having huge years but the clutch hits are what set Ortiz apart. Ask yourself this who would you rather have up with your season on the line, and you need a big hit. That player is the MVP of the league..

I love the Yankees...but I'm also a realist. Without A-Rod the Yankees would still find a way to win.

This year, without Ortiz the Sox wouldn't even be in the pennant race.

The title of MVP should be taken literally. Who is more valuable to their team? Like I said before, there are enough big guns on the Yankees this year that they'd get by with a 3rd baseman of lesser ability.

Without Ortiz's clutch this year, I don't know if the Sox could say the same.

Ortiz gets my vote.

NJFINSFAN1 said:
ARod Or Ortiz?
And why?

My vote would go to Ortiz, I know he just DH's, but man that guy gets clutch hit after clutch hit. 20 HR's after the 7th inning with the team down by a run or tied, that is just amazing.

ARod while having a great year, is not even the Yankees MVP, Mo is.

I thought this was the AI (Sixers guard Allen Iverson) for MVP thread).

GO SIXERS!!!

But seriously, Big Papi deserves it.

Back
Top Bottom