Al MVP Thread | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Al MVP Thread

Ortiz - .298, 47 HR, 146 RBI, 177 Hits, 117 Runs Scored, .394 OBP, 1 SB, .976 FPCT (10 games played in the field)

A-Rod - .320, 47 HR, 129 RBI, 190 Hits, 121 Runs Scored, .421 OBP, 20 SB, .973 FPCT (159 games played in the field)

This thing is closer then you guys are making it out. Like I said, either can win this award this weekend!

FinsNYanksFan13 said:
Ortiz - .298, 47 HR, 146 RBI, 177 Hits, 117 Runs Scored, .394 OBP, 1 SB, .976 FPCT (10 games played in the field)

A-Rod - .320, 47 HR, 129 RBI, 190 Hits, 121 Runs Scored, .421 OBP, 20 SB, .973 FPCT (159 games played in the field)

This thing is closer then you guys are making it out. Like I said, either can win this award this weekend!

If you factor in batting average, home runs and RBIs after the 7th inning, batting average with runners in scoring position, and batting average with runners in scoring position with 2 outs it's not even close. Also the clutch hit factors.

Serious question for a Yankee fan: with the game on the line what Yankee batter would you want at the plate? (I'm guessing people will say either Jeter, Bernie, Sheffield and Matsui way before they say Arod)

This thread is moot simply because I've seen EXTREME hatred for the Yankees on this site time after time.

As for clutch hits, YES, Ortiz is AMAZING at clutch hits. But:

Of A-Rod's 45 jacks, 19 have either given the Yankees the lead or tied the game. Sounds like identical numbers to me.

And this was posted almost a week ago. Both have been clutch in key games. Ortiz is such a big part of the offense, and A-Rod is a huge part of the Yankees offense as well as on the field.

Ortiz can win games with his bate.

A-Rod can win games with his bat. He can also save games with his glove.

It's still up in the air, Ortiz slightly ahead.

Phinz4Life said:
A-Rod can win games with his bat. He can also save games with his glove.

You mean like tonight?? An 0fer and a terrible error where he didn't get his glove down. (Could have been a costly error if Damon doesn't have a brain cramp on 2nd base)

Face it, the guy is anti-clutch, he disappears in big games. Ortiz is the MVP, it has nothing to do with hating the Yankees.

FaninPatsyLand said:
You mean like tonight?? An 0fer and a terrible error where he didn't get his glove down. (Could have been a costly error if Damon doesn't have a brain cramp on 2nd base)

Face it, the guy is anti-clutch, he disappears in big games. Ortiz is the MVP, it has nothing to do with hating the Yankees.

After Ortiz's 2nd at bat the Yankees stopped pitching to him where the Sox went right after Arod, surely that wouldn't have been the case if let's say Arod could get a hit here or there in a pressure situation or big game.

FaninPatsyLand said:

Oh wow, small mental error. The big game crap didn't get to him, he just flubbed that play.

I could say "Well, atleast he PLAYS the field," but I have more respect for Ortiz than to say it.

Phinz4Life said:
Oh wow, small mental error. The big game crap didn't get to him, he just flubbed that play.

I could say "Well, atleast he PLAYS the field," but I have more respect for Ortiz than to say it.

No of course the big game didn't get to him. He just sucks all the time.. :rolleyes:

Two more performances like that, and he's going to make the writers decision a hell of alot easier.

Ortiz. I am not Yankee hating (right now) but Ortiz is clutch. Last year in the playoffs it seemed to me that every time he came to the plate he hit a HR or drove in at least 2 RBIs. He is a beast.

Respected baseball writer Tom Verduicci of SI said it isn't close at all and people are making something out of nothnig. It's A-Rod.

As he said, you must ask yourself this question. Up by a run, bottom of the ninth, who do you want on the field behind your pitcher. Answer A-Rod. Bottom of ninth, team down by a run, who would you take at the plate. Ortiz or A-Rod as both are big hitters.

Ortiz would win Most Valuable Hitter. But this is the MVP and it counts for everything. Base running, stolen bases, defense, hitting, the daily grind. Their is no daily grind when you sit on your *** and only get up 3 or 4 times a night to hit then go sit down again. THAT ISN'T A KNOCK ON ORTIZ! The guy is a stud, but to win an MVP as a DH your numbers have to "CLEARLY" be better than the next guys. And Ortiz's aren't. Once again, NOT a knock on Ortiz.

MikeO said:
Respected baseball writer Tom Verduicci of SI said it isn't close at all and people are making something out of nothnig. It's A-Rod.

As he said, you must ask yourself this question. Up by a run, bottom of the ninth, who do you want on the field behind your pitcher. Answer A-Rod. Bottom of ninth, team down by a run, who would you take at the plate. Ortiz or A-Rod as both are big hitters.

Ortiz would win Most Valuable Hitter. But this is the MVP and it counts for everything. Base running, stolen bases, defense, hitting, the daily grind. Their is no daily grind when you sit on your *** and only get up 3 or 4 times a night to hit then go sit down again. THAT ISN'T A KNOCK ON ORTIZ! The guy is a stud, but to win an MVP as a DH your numbers have to "CLEARLY" be better than the next guys. And Ortiz's aren't. Once again, NOT a knock on Ortiz.

Then a pitcher should never win!

The award is for MVP, the Red Sox's would be nowhere without Ortiz, the Yankees would still be where they are without AROD. You can't give it to Arod if he's not even the MVP on his team.

And who do I want with the game on the line? Ortiz hands down. He is clutch.

And Phinz4life, this quote is very misleading,
(Of A-Rod's 45 jacks, 19 have either given the Yankees the lead or tied the game. Sounds like identical numbers to me. )

A lot of those were in early innings (example he hit one in the 1st for a 1-0 lead), Ortiz has hit 20 after the 7th with the score tied or down by a run. That is clutch.

I'm not a Yankee or a Red Sox fan, but Ortiz should be the choice.

FinsNYanksFan13 said:

:lol: All that talk about Papi not playing the field and he has a better fielding percentage than A-Rod.

I know it doesn't compare being only 10 games but, it's still funny.

MikeO said:

Mike, again I ask the question how can Arod win the MVP award when he's not even the MVP of his own team? Rivera is clearly the Yankee MVP, without him Randy Johnson would be facing Jeremi Gonzalez or Abe Alvarez today.

Also the MVP is mainly about hitting, they have awards for good fielding and stolen bases.

I understand your point about how Arod fields and plays more of the game I really do however you can't take away the fact that although the numbers are similar Ortiz has been almost ungodly at times this year even compared to Babe Ruth with his numbers and approach to hitting. Also clearly last nights game was a good showing of who's the real MVP whether Ortiz wins it or not: Ortiz in his 1st at bat got an RBI base hit, 2nd at bat hit a hard ball right up the middle but robbed by Wang and after that didn't see another strike, while the Red Sox pitchers went after Arod the whole night. Arod is a great hitter and a Hall of Famer no doubt but he doesn't put fear into another team or pitcher like Ortiz does this year.

Ray Finkle said:
Mike, again I ask the question how can Arod win the MVP award when he's not even the MVP of his own team? Rivera is clearly the Yankee MVP, without him Randy Johnson would be facing Jeremi Gonzalez or Abe Alvarez today.

Also the MVP is mainly about hitting, they have awards for good fielding and stolen bases.

I understand your point about how Arod fields and plays more of the game I really do however you can't take away the fact that although the numbers are similar Ortiz has been almost ungodly at times this year even compared to Babe Ruth with his numbers and approach to hitting. Also clearly last nights game was a good showing of who's the real MVP whether Ortiz wins it or not: Ortiz in his 1st at bat got an RBI base hit, 2nd at bat hit a hard ball right up the middle but robbed by Wang and after that didn't see another strike, while the Red Sox pitchers went after Arod the whole night. Arod is a great hitter and a Hall of Famer no doubt but he doesn't put fear into another team or pitcher like Ortiz does this year.

I guess that MikeO believes that it was A-ROD that carried his team all year long, came up with every big hit, and is the most liked guy in the clubhouse. Oh thats Ortiz..

Back
Top Bottom