Alex Smith: Good value at #2 ? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Alex Smith: Good value at #2 ?

NJFINSFAN1 said:
The draft is like playing poker, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes you hit big, sometimes you lose big!

exactly with smith you would loose big. REAL BIG!

DrAstroZoom said:
I am perhaps the biggest Alex Smith fan on the board, and I would love to see him picked at #2.

As for Sage, as I understand it, he's a free agent, so it's not a matter of cutting him as much as not re-signing him. I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong.

Personal bias aside, is Alex a good enough value at the #2 pick?

NJL52 said:
I would die a little inside if we picked Alex Smith. I watched him play and I don't think he was good enough against the ****ty teams that he played to warrant him as the number 2 pick.

Was it the 8:1 touchdown-to-interception ratio or the 67% completion rate that underwhelmed you most.

TXFinFan said:

Yes he is. Not only is he an excellent QB and athlete, but he is only 20 years old. You can get 13 good seasons out of this guy. Not only that, but hes the smartest player in the draft.

Static387 said:
I would rather have Orton, Cambell, or Lefors to groom. AJ will get next season to proove himself....
I would much rather have Lefors to groom he's very accurate and he can scramble if he needs to (which seems like would be a great advantage behind this O'line) and he's a great decision maker

TXFinFan said:

I think so, because of his mobility and superior decision-making skills.

DrAstroZoom said:
I think so, because of his mobility and superior decision-making skills.

Thanks. So who would you compare him to in the NFL?

I think Alex Smith is good enough to be taken with the 2nd pick. He's the 2nd best QB in the draft right now, but if he has a good workout he'll probably leap ahead of Rodgers. I think Aaron Rodgers playing in a pro-style offense is the reason he's ahead of Smith right now.

TXFinFan said:

I see him as a mobile Tom Brady - but I'm not saying he'll be as good as Tom Brady. Anyone who saw him play for any length of time would be impressed with his ability. Anyone who says he has a weak arm obviously didn't watch the Fiesta Bowl. He doesn't have a David Carr-esque arm but who does. To me...Smith and Rodgers are a toss-up. I might lean towards Smith because of the intelligence factor but Rodgers is coming across at the combine as a "****y" gunslinger. Apparently this is being viewed as a positive and I couldn't agree more.

TXFinFan said:
Hard to compare him to anyone. He runs very well and had almost 700 hundred yards running. His Build is that of Tom Brady. 6'4" and lanky at 212 pounds. As far as throwing he's like a Chad Pennington. He has better arm strength then CP without question, but they're both very accurate QB. He's very smart and made a career of (as Dr. Z said) decision making and studies hard. Like Peyton Manning in that aspect.

I'm still not sure how his offense is connected to Linehan and I think he will need time to sit on the bench to fully grasp an offense.

I would be very comfortable with taking Smith with our second pick. If his accuracy translates to the NFL, he'll be our next franchise QB. I don't believe that if we draft a QB in the first, he'll see much playing time this year and that AJ will get a shot at starter. If AJ lights up defenses this year and we draft Smith, we'll be in a better position than SD was last year with Brees and Rivers. AJ will still be under contract and if there is a QB controversy, we can always trade Feeley for a 1st or 2nd or Smith for a first.

I can think of worse positions to be in.

Back
Top Bottom