Alex Smith: Good value at #2 ? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Alex Smith: Good value at #2 ?

TXFinFan said:
Really? What qualities does he share with them?

Hes tough and smart. He also has a tendency to run with the ball win nothing is available. I believe that he ran for 10 TDs last year. The only thing that seperates him from Elway at this point is his arm stregth. Elway had a cannon.

Smith has not really had the ability to really showcase his arm stregth yet, so any questions about his arm strength will be answered on his pro day in Utah.

Draft Smith...Start AJ...Keep Sage as 3rd stringer. Next year Feeley doesn't end up working out like we thought he might--Enter the Alex Smith.

BringBackShula said:
Draft Smith...Start AJ...Keep Sage as 3rd stringer. Next year Feeley doesn't end up working out like we thought he might--Enter the Alex Smith.

I think Sage will be gone next year. If the Fins sign Frerotte and draft Smith or Rodgers, there wont be another spot for him.

Jnaledu3 said:
Hes tough and smart. He also has a tendency to run with the ball win nothing is available. I believe that he ran for 10 TDs last year. The only thing that seperates him from Elway at this point is his arm stregth. Elway had a cannon.

Smith has not really had the ability to really showcase his arm stregth yet, so any questions about his arm strength will be answered on his pro day in Utah.

Cool. Thanks! I'll be looking forward to his pro day workout.

Jnaledu3 said:

Do you think he will have problems adjusting to not operating from the shotgun so much?

If we draft Smith or Rodgers there will be no QB debate. Both will be 21 when the season starts and in no way ready to play in the NFL. Being they are both juniors, you must sit them for what would have been their senior year. You can reassess after that but don't be surprised if they sit for a second year.

If you start them too early with a bad team, it might be Ryan Leaf all over again.

I think the comparison to Chad Pennington is a very good one. I would throw in some Steve Young-esque mobility as well.

I's love to see a QB depth chart next year of Feeley-Frerotte-Smith.

I just think that Miami is blowing an opportunity to draft a real solid game breaker that they can put in the lineup day one if they draft Smith. If this league has shown us anything, it's that a team can win a championship with a servicable QB. It's the other peices that need to be tip-top.

Haven't seen enough of Smith to know, but I like what I've heard about his intelligence. I like that he played under an Urban Meyer coached system which means he's disciplined and probably of good character. The argument that he hasn't played anybody good is a valid point, but he and his team simply beat everyone they played, and there are plenty of top QB's (for example Daunte Culpepper) from small schools that didn't play against top teams in college. Not a good enough reason not to take him IMO. We have the need, he's graded out consistently as at least the 2nd best qb in the draft, and he looks like the kind of prospect that could be your franchise qb for the next decade. I say pull the trigger.

TXFinFan said:
Do you think he will have problems adjusting to not operating from the shotgun so much?

No, for two reasons:

1) He is extremely intelligent and indications are he's a fast learner.

2) I think Linehan's offense might run from the shotgun more than your average pro set. Think about the Vikes with Culpepper in the gun.

TXFinFan said:

Thats another question about him. But he shouldnt have a problem since he is such a good athlete.

His playing in the shot gun could also be looked at as an advantage for him.
He threw for 30+ TDs and ran for 10+ TDs even when the defense knew he was going to throw the ball since he was in the shotgun.

He'll probably do some snaps under center during his workout.

Dredd1050 said:
I just think that Miami is blowing an opportunity to draft a real solid game breaker that they can put in the lineup day one if they draft Smith. If this league has shown us anything, it's that a team can win a championship with a servicable QB. It's the other peices that need to be tip-top.

This is the heart of the debate. My opinion is that a #2 pick demands the highest total value possible over a career -- not necessarily the player that can contribute first. Draft history has usually borne this out.

I like Smith alot and would be more than happy if he was our pick at two. I think Rogers or Brown is the safer pick, but Smith could turn out to be a very good QB. For whatever reason Mel Kiper has been all over him since he announced he was coming out. There has to be a reason for that. He does have some question marks, but overall I think he'll be good. I don't think you could go wrong with any of the following players: Brown, Williams, Rogers, or Smith.

Dredd1050 said:

Name a "serviceable QB" that has won more than one Super Bowl?

The Dynasties all had Great QB's

SF
Both Dallas Teams
Pitts
NE

I for one do not want a one hit wonder. I want a long run at sucess like the Pats.

Balance = Dynasty

DrAstroZoom said:
This is the heart of the debate. My opinion is that a #2 pick demands the highest total value possible over a career -- not necessarily the player that can contribute first. Draft history has usually borne this out.

Agreed, but look at what the needs are. I can't shake the image of Trent Dilfer holding up that trophy. If Miami can land a solid RB and then draft Edwards or Williams, think of the offense. With Feeley. I know he's not worth the 2 they used for him but I do believe he can be better than Dilfer and the like.

Back
Top Bottom