Alex Smith: Good value at #2 ? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Alex Smith: Good value at #2 ?

DrAstroZoom said:
This is the heart of the debate. My opinion is that a #2 pick demands the highest total value possible over a career -- not necessarily the player that can contribute first. Draft history has usually borne this out.

:up:

Dredd1050 said:
Agreed, but look at what the needs are. I can't shake the image of Trent Dilfer holding up that trophy. If Miami can land a solid RB and then draft Edwards or Williams, think of the offense. With Feeley. I know he's not worth the 2 they used for him but I do believe he can be better than Dilfer and the like.

Let me clairfy, my draft desire has very little to do with AJ Feeley and everything to do with maximizing the value of a #2 pick.

DrAstroZoom said:
I's love to see a QB depth chart next year of Feeley-Frerotte-Smith.
I'm with you bud. I think we don't know nearly enough about Feeley to start a rebuilding process with him as our only option at QB, and I think Smith is a "Saban" kind of guy. He's had an entire team put on his shoulders for the past two years (before the age of 20 I might add), and he's come through in great fashion. The kid is an intelligent winner.

I think if Saban has a trade-down option that he simply can't pass up, he'll do that, but if not, I think we're looking at Smith at #2 overall. Other than Rodgers, there isn't anybody else out there who would match the value of that pick.

Is it just me, or is Alex Smith about the person people talk about the LEAST when it comes to who we will draft??? Like I dont think people realize (including me) that we will probably draft (from what rumours are saying)

DrAstroZoom said:
Let me clairfy, my draft desire has very little to do with AJ Feeley and everything to do with maximizing the value of a #2 pick.
Great point -- and you can always trade one or the other later on. Matt Hasselbeck was traded for a #1 pick before he'd done ANYthing in the league. That's why the BPA theory makes so much sense for a rebuilding team -- you can always trade the guy later on.

DrAstroZoom said:
This is the heart of the debate. My opinion is that a #2 pick demands the highest total value possible over a career -- not necessarily the player that can contribute first. Draft history has usually borne this out.
Right -- and this kid is 20 years old, which means we could easily have him for 15 years if he stays healthy.

Dredd1050 said:
Agreed, but look at what the needs are. I can't shake the image of Trent Dilfer holding up that trophy. If Miami can land a solid RB and then draft Edwards or Williams, think of the offense. With Feeley. I know he's not worth the 2 they used for him but I do believe he can be better than Dilfer and the like.

Guys like Dilfer and Brady are the exception, not the rule. Just look at the other QBs that made the playoffs this year:

McNabb, Manning, Rothlisberger, Vick, Brees (2nd rnd.), Pennington, Culpepper, Boller, etc. The only other one that wasnt a high round pick was Hasselbeck.

The majority of top teams have top QBs.

Jnaledu3 said:
Guys like Dilfer and Brady are the exception, not the rule. Just look at the other QBs that made the playoffs this year:

McNabb, Manning, Rothlisberger, Vick, Brees, Pennington, Culpepper, Boller, etc. The only other one that wasnt a high round pick was Hasselbeck.

And Hasselbeck was traded to Seattle for a first-round pick.

Jnaledu3 said:

McNabb, Manning, Rothlisberger, Vick, Brees (2nd rnd.), Pennington, Culpepper, Boller, etc. The only other one that wasnt a high round pick was Hasselbeck.

Dilfer was the sixth overall pick in 1994 I believe.

TXFinFan said:
I've noticed that quite a few mock drafts have changed Miami's pick to Alex Smith. Probably because of the connection to Scott Linehan. They also seem to think that Saban announcing that he was sticking with AJ Feeley as the starter next year, was just a smokescreen to throw people off.

My question is: Is Alex Smith a good value pick at #2?

Also, wouldn't we need to cut Sage Rosenfels before the draft to make room for Smith?

Sage is an UFA, so he is gone. Smith will require some time to adjust and grow into the pro game, where Rodgers might not need as much time. I would be a little surprised to see Saban take a QB but not shocked. I don't think that he thinks it's time to abandon AJ just yet...

LarryFinFan said:
Sage is an UFA, so he is gone. Smith will require some time to adjust and grow into the pro game, where Rodgers might not need as much time. I would be a little surprised to see Saban take a QB but not shocked. I don't think that he thinks it's time to abandon AJ just yet...

It's not time to abandon AJ but a 27 year old QB putting up a 61 QB rating and throwing 5 ints returned for TDs in limited action does not generate a lot of confidence. You need a plan B and a good one at that.

thepoolboy said:
It's not time to abandon AJ but a 27 year old QB putting up a 61 QB rating and throwing 5 ints returned for TDs in limited action does not generate a lot of confidence. You need a plan B and a good one at that.
having no backup plan with AJ kinda reminds me of when the panthers drafted Chris Weinke a 28 year old, AJ's kinda in the same position

jnewmant said:
having no backup plan with AJ kinda reminds me of when the panthers drafted Chris Weinke a 28 year old, AJ's kinda in the same position

If we don't pick up another quality QB and AJ bombs...then what? Do we suffer through another 4-12 season and pick at the top of the draft again?

All these RB at number 2 disciples are forgetting one thing...in 2002 we had an 1800 rusher and still missed the playoffs. The talent at the other positions on this team are nowhere near what it was in 2002.

Back
Top Bottom