All In With Tannehill | Page 14 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

All In With Tannehill

Prescott had the luxury of playing behind the best offensive line in the league, and is much more of a game manager than Alex Smith ever was. It's conceivable that the bloom comes off that rose pretty soon if it hasn't already.

Tannehill has a pretty manageable cap hit for a veteran QB.

There have been quarterbacks who have played behind great offensive lines, and have never managed to produce a 23 TD to 4 INT season. As a rookie no less.

You are smoking water if you think Dallas would trade Prescot for Tannehill. All things considered (youth, contract, upside). Go to the Cowboys forum and ask that, you'll be laughed off suggesting such lol.

What if they think Rudolph will suck? What if they like Osweiler better? Osweiler went 5-2 in relief in 2015. Do I think Rudolph will be better than Osweiler? I have no idea.

What if they think that the combination of Osweiler and Baker will be better than just Rudolph?

I'm aware that backup QB sucked last season. I'm also aware that LB sucked too. With that one pick, they could only try to fix one.

I do have an idea. I've watched them both. We even have the benefit of hindsight with one of them. You using 5-2 as an example of Osweiler being a 'maybe' is exactly what I was talking about with getting lost in numbers. Osweiler is not a competent QB and if anyone can explain to me how he can run a timing based Adam Gase offense I would love to hear it ... based on the snaps he's taken in the NFL, of course. I mean, is there a chance he turns it around after some experience and whatnot? Sure. Would I bet on it even with crazy odds? Nope. I have watched him be way less than good enough in the NFL already.

Rudolph ... who knows. I had him #5 before Jackson, which would've landed him in the 1st. I would've taken him in the 2nd. The value in the 3rd was just astronomical based on the position he plays and need at the position. After living through a Jay Cutler season I don't see how you could pass up on the potential ... knowing this is just a backup gig and he'd most likely sit for a season or 2 (I think Thill will be fine based on how successful surgery has been and how that will only continue to increase with advances in medicine) to learn an NFL playbook.

This obviously comes back to how everyone views players and needs and the team moving forward. I saw a rare opportunity to significantly improve a marquee position that haunts this team and they chose the road always traveled. Baker was okay value and is an okay prospect but he'll be a backup (unless Kiko switches positions or the FO realizes how terrible he is) next year most likely. Backup weak side LB or backup QB ... that is not a difficult choice to make ... regardless of how you feel about Tannehill.

All my opinion, obviously.

Yet he still won a playoff game, and was one of the main reasons why he even won that playoff game. That's more than Tannehill has even shown in his career.

We can agree to disagree. I'm going with the 156 yards rushing being pretty important.

Based on Mariota's play, they didn't deserve to be in the playoffs. He had 9 games with a passer rating below 80.

Personally, I think they'd trade Tannehill for Carr or Mariota in an instant, but not for Winston or Cousins. But all I was saying is that people really overvalue Tannehill around here.

And others undervalue him.

Weren't you the one who said the Patriots flipping Garopolo for a 2nd was a fail? If the 49ers were given the option of trading a 2nd for Garopolo or Tannehill, who do you think they take?

I have no way of knowing.

Tannehill is a good QB, but that's ALL he is right now. He isn't viewed as having that much of a higher ceiling than what we've already seen, is already on the back half of his career and is coming off a significant knee injury... All of this doesn't exactly bode well for this future or his potential at this point.

Viewed by who? and higher than what?

Why isn't his potential the latest 8 game stretch? Why does it have to be the period where he played with crap OLs and crappy coaching? I can guess the Dolphins coaching staff sees that as the floor for Tannehill.

I do have an idea. I've watched them both. We even have the benefit of hindsight with one of them. You using 5-2 as an example of Osweiler being a 'maybe' is exactly what I was talking about with getting lost in numbers. Osweiler is not a competent QB and if anyone can explain to me how he can run a timing based Adam Gase offense I would love to hear it ... based on the snaps he's taken in the NFL, of course. I mean, is there a chance he turns it around after some experience and whatnot? Sure. Would I bet on it even with crazy odds? Nope. I have watched him be way less than good enough in the NFL already.

Rudolph ... who knows. I had him #5 before Jackson, which would've landed him in the 1st. I would've taken him in the 2nd. The value in the 3rd was just astronomical based on the position he plays and need at the position. After living through a Jay Cutler season I don't see how you could pass up on the potential ... knowing this is just a backup gig and he'd most likely sit for a season or 2 (I think Thill will be fine based on how successful surgery has been and how that will only continue to increase with advances in medicine) to learn an NFL playbook.

This obviously comes back to how everyone views players and needs and the team moving forward. I saw a rare opportunity to significantly improve a marquee position that haunts this team and they chose the road always traveled. Baker was okay value and is an okay prospect but he'll be a backup (unless Kiko switches positions or the FO realizes how terrible he is) next year most likely. Backup weak side LB or backup QB ... that is not a difficult choice to make ... regardless of how you feel about Tannehill.

All my opinion, obviously.

Who says Baker will be the backup? LB play has sucked on this team for years and (IMO) has cost us more games over the last 4 or 5 years than backup QB.

If Baker becomes a pro bowl starting WLB and Rudolph goes the way of Landry Jones (apparently) is it still a bad pick? Why don't we wait and see. Isn't that reasonable?

I liked this draft. It was an Adam Gase draft. They got him the pieces to operate his offense the way he wants it. And for that reason, its a scary draft for Gase. Not only did he get the pieces and the culture fit he was looking for, but he doubled down on Tannehill. That means Gase's fate, as well as the rest of the FO, is now tied to Tannehill.

I am kind of surprised that they didn't make a move for a developmental QB in the mid-rounds considering the lack of depth at the QB position and the fact that Tannehill will have not played for well over a year by the time he steps on the field in 2018. To expect him to pick up right where he left off is a lot to ask. I'd expect a few games of getting a feel for playing football again and gaining security in his knee.

While he was playing his best ball under Gase before injury, he is still very much a mystery going into his 7th year in the league, which is HIGHLY unusual. Yet, Gase must be convinced because he is staking his football life on it.

The fact they never picked up any QB in this draft also points to their pre-draft interest in a QB being very much a smokescreen. That ploy paid off by pushing a bluechip prospect to them.

I just can't get over how much is riding on Tannehill now though. He has the fate of the entire front office and coaching staff on his repaired knee right now. Let's see if it pays off.

Since when do coaches, who are not also the GM (ie Parcells) get to make draft picks?

Who says Baker will be the backup? LB play has sucked on this team for years and (IMO) has cost us more games over the last 4 or 5 years than backup QB.

If Baker becomes a pro bowl starting WLB and Rudolph goes the way of Landry Jones (apparently) is it still a bad pick? Why don't we wait and see. Isn't that reasonable?

Because that's how the Dolphins are constantly let off the hook for bad decisions.

For years and years I bitched about the offensive line being an anchor holding this team down ... and for years and years I was told to 'just wait and see how it goes next season before jumping to any conclusions' while the fins couldn't stop tripping over their feet getting that unit figured out. And even after watching their QB get completely manhandled every year, the coach didn't even take it seriously enough to the point where the oline coach got caught ... well you know. I'm talking since even before Tannehill was here. And what happened in all those years? All those wasted seasons? They humped that doorknob so hard you'd think the 'is he or isn't he?' debate with Tannehill is up there with the chicken or the egg. All because they couldn't even get a competent enough unit to tell what they really have in their franchise QB.

And it's still happening. It's like a really bad, really long episode of Twilight Zone.

As far as the 'wait and see' game goes, I'm out. Sat through that movie before. Hated it.

Because that's how the Dolphins are constantly let off the hook for bad decisions.

For years and years I bitched about the offensive line being an anchor holding this team down ... and for years and years I was told to 'just wait and see how it goes next season before jumping to any conclusions' while the fins couldn't stop tripping over their feet getting that unit figured out. And even after watching their QB get completely manhandled every year, the coach didn't even take it seriously enough to the point where the oline coach got caught ... well you know. I'm talking since even before Tannehill was here. And what happened in all those years? All those wasted seasons? They humped that doorknob so hard you'd think the 'is he or isn't he?' debate with Tannehill is up there with the chicken or the egg. All because they couldn't even get a competent enough unit to tell what they really have in their franchise QB.

And it's still happening. It's like a really bad, really long episode of Twilight Zone.

As far as the 'wait and see' game goes, I'm out. Sat through that movie before. Hated it.

C'mon Bob, Dallas Thomas was the truth, man.

Fair enough, but if they had taken Rudolph, why wouldn't we be having the same discussion about the Dolphins screwing it up by taking him?

As it should be, we finally making smart moves out there! Chris Grier is the man! Thrilled about this draft.

C'mon Bob, Dallas Thomas was the truth, man.

The craziest part is he shouldn't have been that bad. He was a good athlete who was decent in college. They over drafted the **** out of him but him regressing to the point where he had NO BASE was impressive. Only in Miami, baby.

Since when do coaches, who are not also the GM (ie Parcells) get to make draft picks?

When did I say he made the draft picks? I said it was an "Adam Gase draft" in the sense that the draft was designed to give Gase the offense he wants to run. Do you dispute that? His influence was big on the approach to drafting offensive players in this draft.

I want them to get Bridgewater when he's cut & have him back up Tannehill.

I'd take that... I have a feeling they will be taking in some of the Jets castoffs at that position for a look.

Back
Top Bottom