All In With Tannehill | Page 13 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

All In With Tannehill

Again, the only reason you don't have four other teams on that list immediately is because they all just drafted a QB in the top ten. We really don't know how any of them will turn out. None of them are Andrew Luck.

Here's a hot take though. Assuming Tannehill is fully recovered from his injury, I bet you the Cowboys would take Tannehill over Prescott.

But I'm talking about draft compensation RIGHT NOW. I said that I doubt Tannehill would even go for a 2nd right now, and another poster basically said I was a moron to believe this. If there are only about 3-5 teams that would invest in Tannehill to be their starting QB RIGHT NOW, how would he go for anything more than a 3rd and an extra pick?

This is incredible. You really believe you could get more for a 30 year old QB with ZERO playoff appearances, middle of the pack stats, coming off back to back years where a knee injury ended his season?

I'm talking Ryan Tannehill. And there's not a team out there that would think more than 12 seconds before giving a 3rd and 7th pick for RT. course that would never happen because Miami doesnt live in la la land.

Last edited:
Again, the only reason you don't have four other teams on that list immediately is because they all just drafted a QB in the top ten. We really don't know how any of them will turn out. None of them are Andrew Luck.

Here's a hot take though. Assuming Tannehill is fully recovered from his injury, I bet you the Cowboys would take Tannehill over Prescott.

Considering Dak Prescott is slotted to have cap hits less than a 1 million the next two seasons, and that he peaked higher than Tannehill ever did in his rookie season, that's a bad take.

But I'm talking about draft compensation RIGHT NOW. I said that I doubt Tannehill would even go for a 2nd right now, and another poster basically said I was a moron to believe this. If there are only about 3-5 teams that would invest in Tannehill to be their starting QB RIGHT NOW, how would he go for anything more than a 3rd and an extra pick?

Well if you're talking draft compensation, you're absolutely correct, especially with him coming off of his injury. I would say though that if he shows that he's fully recovered and gets back to form, a 90ish QB rating with a good TD to interception ratio, he could get you a low first round pick from a team that's ready to move on from their QB. For example, say the Giants become a playoff team again this year, but in spite of and not because of Eli, a trade of the Giants first and third for Tannehill and a Dolphins second is something that could happen, assuming no cap issues.

Considering Dak Prescott is slotted to have cap hits less than a 1 million the next two seasons, and that he peaked higher than Tannehill ever did in his rookie season, that's a bad take.

Prescott had the luxury of playing behind the best offensive line in the league, and is much more of a game manager than Alex Smith ever was. It's conceivable that the bloom comes off that rose pretty soon if it hasn't already.

Tannehill has a pretty managable cap hit for a veteran QB.

I am looking at the QB for every team right now and the only teams I believe would view Tannehill as an absolute upgrade over their current starter are:
  • Jaguars
  • Broncos
  • Redskins
And even some of these are debatable. So if there are only a handful in the entire league that would view Tannehill as an upgrade right now, how on Earth would he go for more than a 2nd round pick in a trade?

BTW, I'm not saying Tannehill is one of the worst starting QBs in the league because some of these teams have young unproven QBs they invested heavily in and wouldn't trade for a starter right now regardless... But what we have might be even worse than an unproven young QB... We have an unproven VET.

Why do you think Cousins is better than Tannehill? Cousins is 26-30 as a starter. He went 7-9 in his last season playing and all of his stats are trending down. Why is he a proven starter?

Why Derek Carr? He is 28-34.

James Winston is 18-27

Marcus Mariota is 20-22

I'm hoping like the rest that Tannehill lives up to his potential and becomes and unquestioned top shelf QB this year, and I also was encouraged by his performance in 2016, but odds are it WON'T pan out like we want it to...

The same thing applies to many of the QBs that you claim teams wouldn't trade for Tannehill. Most will not work out.

And, honestly, to me, it's not so much Tannehill, but the fact we have absolutely no plan B. I thought Gase would've learned from last year's mistake, but it seems like he is deadset on trusting Tannehill and his knee again.

I have a feeling if we ever see Osweiller/Fales take significant snaps in 2018 we'd be wishing for the good ol' Cutler/Moore days.

I don't have a good read on Osweiler but I'd be willing to bet that Gase thinks more of him than you do. I know that doesn't guarantee anything but saying there is no plan B is a bit far fetched.

Maybe Gase can get something out of him that other teams couldn't, but it's hard to think of there being a worse QB than someone you give up a second round pick just to get rid of, even with that salary.
not easy to give the Browns the benefit of doubt on much of anything

Why do you think Cousins is better than Tannehill? Cousins is 26-30 as a starter. He went 7-9 in his last season playing and all of his stats are trending down. Why is he a proven starter?

Why Derek Carr? He is 28-34.

James Winston is 18-27

Marcus Mariota is 20-22

The same thing applies to many of the QBs that you claim teams wouldn't trade for Tannehill. Most will not work out.

I don't have a good read on Osweiler but I'd be willing to bet that Gase thinks more of him than you do. I know that doesn't guarantee anything but saying there is no plan B is a bit far fetched.

Why on Earth would Minnesota trade for Tannehill after giving that kind of contract to Cousins? I'm not saying Tannehill is better or worse, I'm saying the situation for each team would dictate that they would never trade that kind of compensation for Tannehill right now. Maybe the Vikings would have given up a 2 for Tannehill before signing Cousins, but maybe not. No one can say whether Tannehill or Cousins is better right now, if anything they are even. Cousins actually did play in a playoff game though. (That's not really Tannehill's fault considering he got injured, but it is what it is)

As for the others, Carr was in the MVP conversation before he went down in 2016. Winston and Mariota are both young and highly drafted QBs. No chance they would give up on them right now to trade a 2nd or higher for Tannehill. Tannehill hasn't proven to be THAT much of an upgrade over them. If the Dolphins haven't given up on their 6 year vet 1st round QB, why would the Buccs and Titans for younger investments?

I'd gladly flip Tannehill for Marcus Mariota. 6 years younger, and a cheaper contract, with all the potential in the world? Who wouldn't?

Just sayin'.

Why on Earth would Minnesota trade for Tannehill after giving that kind of contract to Cousins? I'm not saying Tannehill is better or worse, I'm saying the situation for each team would dictate that they would never trade that kind of compensation for Tannehill right now. Maybe the Vikings would have given up a 2 for Tannehill before signing Cousins, but maybe not. No one can say whether Tannehill or Cousins is better right now, if anything they are even. Cousins actually did play in a playoff game though. (That's not really Tannehill's fault considering he got injured, but it is what it is)

As for the others, Carr was in the MVP conversation before he went down in 2016. Winston and Mariota are both young and highly drafted QBs. No chance they would give up on them right now to trade a 2nd or higher for Tannehill. Tannehill hasn't proven to be THAT much of an upgrade over them. If the Dolphins haven't given up on their 6 year vet 1st round QB, why would the Buccs and Titans for younger investments?

The "who would trade for Tannehill" argument is a bit odd. You could turn it around and ask if Miami would trade Tannehill for Carr, or Winston, or Cousins and speculate the same answer of "no".

The "who would trade for Tannehill" argument is a bit odd. You could turn it around and ask if Miami would trade Tannehill for Carr, or Winston, or Cousins and speculate the same answer of "no".

Personally, I think they'd trade Tannehill for Carr or Mariota in an instant, but not for Winston or Cousins. But all I was saying is that people really overvalue Tannehill around here. Weren't you the one who said the Patriots flipping Garopolo for a 2nd was a fail? If the 49ers were given the option of trading a 2nd for Garopolo or Tannehill, who do you think they take?

Tannehill is a good QB, but that's ALL he is right now. He isn't viewed as having that much of a higher ceiling than what we've already seen, is already on the back half of his career and is coming off a significant knee injury... All of this doesn't exactly bode well for this future or his potential at this point.

Been sayin' it for quite a while -- Thill & Gase are packaged together -- both have a LOT to prove this year.

Personally -- I think Gase made a lot of potentially great moves this draft. For example -- just consider Mike Gesicki a slot receiver NOT a TE.

Add miss Parker (hopefully fully established an an alpha female) and Stills etc. = some very interesting issues for a D to deal with + (we hope and pray) a significantly improved OL with multiple threats @RB + soooooooooooooooooo much more game to game creativity --- if ????????? indeed Gase proves to be the real deal...
And Albert Wilson.....yas

Back
Top Bottom