Alot of Non-Dolphins Fans think Ricky is "done" | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Alot of Non-Dolphins Fans think Ricky is "done"

On the subject of Ricky's 40 time I distinctively remember him being on FOX and one of the commentators said that Ricky runs about a 4.4

I wouldn't worry about what they say, they obviously don't know anything, he was ranked tenth overall, and if you look there are some pretty dominating RB's that are ranked lower than him. However what does it say about his durability when him and Eddie George are the only ones that rushed for over a 1000 that had lower than 4.0 yards per carry. He also had the most carries. But I agree he won't last long if he keeps that up.

They obviously are talking out of their azzes. And they aren't Dolphin fans anyway. So their view is probably as biased as ours.

All I have to do is watch with my own eyes and see the greatness Ricky brings.

And to be fair, despite Tomlinson's elite skills and production, he has not yet taken the cumulative beating that Ricky has, as he's only entering his 3rd season. Ricky, on the other hand, is entering his 6th. And he spent a large portion of his career playing heavy in New Orleans (running thru people instead of around them). If LT takes the same beatings the next three years that he took the first two, it's hard to think he won't suffer a down year.

If Wanny keeps on runing him the way he did the first 2 years then he will not last a whole lot longer. We're not taking about a guy that runs outside. Ricky runs inside for the most part. I hope we use Minor and Henry a little more this year and keep Ricky fresher.

Ozzy rules!!

Yeah i hope we use Minor, Henry and Konrad a lot more this year. In 2002, Ricky had a good last stretch because early in the year we had Robert Edwards take some carries. IMO if we can use Minor and Konrad more often early, it'd make Ricky fresher for our playoff push at the end of the season.

guys, just watch the jags game again, some of you probably already know the run im talking about, i have the clip on my comp but dont know how to post it...he is the definately one of the top3 backs in the league...he has such explosive acceleration thats why hes so good but when there are 8 D in the box then its pretty tough to get the kind of yardage like 02. With a better passing game hopefully we wont use Ricky as much and D's wont concentrate 100% on ricky. Its amazing Ricky still had as many yards as he did with the pounding and amount of D he had to go against almost alone without a line to block.
by the way the clip im talking about is when he went up the left side, a back tackled him but ricky spun around and broke it, then totally juked another defender and hauled *** all the way around across the field on he right side and ran for the TD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by LIQUID24
1. Tomlinson is the best back in the league. Potential to be one of the best ever.
2. I don't think Ricky is losing it quite yet, but I think it's unlikely that he reaches 1800 yds again. With the pounding Ricky takes, I think he has maybe only 3 good years left.

I'd like to explore a bit more about point #2. I agree, that given the high carries and pounding Ricky has been taking, he could will probably be on the downside in THREE years.

This thought, of looking back at how we had Ricky in his prime yet never got anywhere, makes me :mad: and :cry: at the same time.

There is still time, but we need a capable QB VERY soon. This is a big reason drafting a QB THIS year is important. Rivers could be starting late this season (depending on how things go) or be ready for 2005. If we assume Feeley is the answer, and he flops, then next year we draft a QB, but it is 2006 before the guy is ready to start... and Ricky is having his last good season.

If Feeley works out, then I think that adds 1-2 more years to Ricky's career before the wear and tear shows.

This gamble with Feeley is also a gamble on the longevity of Ricky. I'd happily spend yet another first round pick on the QB spot, if it means keeping Ricky around for a couple more productive years.

Don't look now but we might just sign the chargers O line, then we could see for sure.

They are both great backs I bet GMs would have a pretty even split(a little edge to LT)

williams is the better back in my opinion, he may not be better then portis though. Ricky will make a statement this year, he will let everybody know that hes still a BEAST.

Originally posted by Thundercracker
Those guy's are morons who haven't seen the games. RW's is top 3, he just doesn't have a line.

The Dolphins O-Line didn't change a lot from the 2002-2003 season. Ricky was reported to have dropped some weight last season, in order to increase his speed. I think this was a poor decision. There were countless times when Ricky Tippy-Toed behind the Line of scrimmage waiting for a hole to open.

That was the major difference I saw from 02 to 03, not the O-line.
Ricky is a power back. The type of back that should have the mentality of, "If there's not a hole, make a hole." which he did in 02. Now I'm not blameing Ricky for anything. He has no help, he's our offensive work horse, and teams know that. Teams were ready for Ricky in 03, and instead of getting Ricky some help, DW decided to stack the defense some more... surprise... surprise...

Ricky will get 1600+ this season if the O-line situation is fixed. He will get 1800+ if he realizes what type of runner he is and works on that, and the O-line gets fixed. His YPC will increase by about 2 YPC more. Which would be about 5.5 ypc. With a better receiving corpse, Ricky will take a lot less abuse, and won't have the defense stack the line for him. I look for him to have a really good season.

But as of right now, I don't think Ricky is a top 3.

Priest Holmes
Ladanian Tomlinson
Jamal Lewis
Clinton Portis
Ahman Green

all currently better backs than Ricky IMO.

Ricky was the very best in 2002, and if the Line gets taken care of he may be a top 3 in 04, but that remains to be seen.

Back
Top Bottom