Alot of Non-Dolphins Fans think Ricky is "done" | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Alot of Non-Dolphins Fans think Ricky is "done"

Originally posted by Gaphinfan
In case you guys didn't know, Priest Holmes, Marshall Faulk, and Ricky Williams have been the top three backs with the most all purpose yards in the last 3 or four years. I think Ricky is a complete back but he is special becasue of his size and his breakaway speed.

Not true at all. Ricky was a top back for ONE season in 2002. Last year he was not top 3 and before he went to Miami he was not top 3. Oh and he only had recing yards in the 300s the past 2 years, hardly making him a great all-purpose back. I think he'll be much better than last year but not as great as he was in '02. Holmes has been a top back the last 3 years and Faulk hasn't been a top RN since '01(b/c of injuries).

I do not think Ricky is done but you do have to wonder if you'll see the drive you saw in him 2 years ago. Remember how motivated he was and what great shape he wa sheading into 2002. To me from game he did not look like the same player he was in '02. You can blame it on the OL but you didn't have a great OL in '02 either.

I think he'll be a 1,300-1,500 type of RB which is still very good but outside of the top backs like Holmes, LT and Portis.

By the way, our OL was pretty bad last year as well and old Curtis still got 1,300 yards and averaged 4 ypc(and this was after a horrible first month). Ricky is younger and better at this point but even w/ the bad OL play he should have rushed for a better avg and more yards.

Tomlinson is the best back I've ever seen.

No offense but Ricky isn't close. Tomlinson is almost as strong, he's faster and much quicker at cutting back. Plus he's a million times the reciever Ricky is.

As for Portis; good back, but a huge product. Holmes is another one: good, but not as good as his line.

Based on PURE talent

Tomlinson
Jamal Lewis
Fred Taylor
Ahman Green
Ricky

Watch out though, he's gonna be pushed by Kevan Barlow (if he can stay fit)

What is so special about Green ?? Taylor ...has been ??

Ricky had a poor YPC average last year because we had a porous OL and we had no vertical passing game...we could not loosen the box with passes to either RW or RK, because the QB didn't have time to even throw screens and flat passes...Our OL was the worst in the league last year, as RW numbers show...to take a back like Ricky and only get 3.5 proves that fact. What is the main way of measuring an offensive line ?? YPC and passing yards (what did JF have about 160 YPG average), need I say more...Also, I remember about 2/3s of the way thru the season, didn't even Ricky admit that he was a little tenative approaching the line and was going to change that. He had several good games after that to prove his point. The differences between Tomlinson, Ricky, James, Holmes, Portis, (I'm sure there are a few more in that group) is negligible. I would be happy with any of them as an OC. Year to year, one will be better than the others, but I'd hate to have to live off of the difference between them...

I think a good point was made earlier. I think a few changes occured last year that translated into Ricky's lower numbers. As I keep saying, small changes here and there can make a difference. And, last year, we saw a negative difference in one very crucial aspect of game planning. For some reason we decided to STOP rotating a 3rd down back. If you all recall, Ricky got MOST of his 1800 yards on 1st and 2nd down in 2002. Robert Edwards and Travis Minor took up the slack on 3rd. I thought that was an absolute BRILLIANT scheme. In 2002, our coaches kept preaching that the system would SAVE Ricky from unnecessary wear and tear. Everyone applauded the choice. It only made sense to protect your savior from unnecessary beatings.
Then, last year, someone had a brain fart and we dropped this line of thinking. Other factors played in as well, but eventually Ricky payed the price for this foolishness. Not too mention, I think having Ricky on 3rd down made the offense and the defense key in on him. With him out of the game on 3rd, D HAD to respect everyone else and realize we were going to pass, potentially. Thus, the backers peeled off the line into coverage. That system AT LEAST concealed our passing game's inability to effectively move the ball. And, in some situations, it allowed Fiedler MORE TIME to find an open receiver.
I love the reports of Henry so far. I've always been a Minor fan. I HOPE we return to the 2002 strategy, save Ricky from wear and tear, and force teams to respect the pass.
One last note: Ricky got 1800 yards in 2 down sets... many games he was so rested in the 4th, he looked bored on the sidelines. That's the Ricky we need... BORED with waiting and HUNGRY to knock the smile off a DBs face!

One other thing that I just realized...we'll have DBo blocking downfield for Ricky this year...can you imagine being a DB and having to worry about the choice of either Boston blocking you out or taking a hit by Ricky ??? (oohhh, I just got shivers).....LOL

Nathan...I think Turners thought process last year with Ricky on 3rd downs was that we could disguise our plays better if he stayed in...When you bring in Minor, you tip your hat to your play calling for that down. HIs thought, you want to have your best O player touch the ball as much as you can. Personally, I don't think it worked like Turner thought it would. However, I'd rather see Minor (Henry, from what I've heard, is not very versatile to catching passes) in on 3rd downs. This opens up another can of worms for defenses, because Minor can run the ball well and can catch the swing passes or line up as a split end...

However. remember Crash Jensen

When Shula brought him in, virtually every team in the league knew that he was going to get the ball on third down, and he usually did. Giving your big back a break on third down will go a long way to increasing his longevity and productivity. I think Wanny rode Ricky hard because he knew he was not far from being unemployed - and I think he should be.

I would be happy if RW only got 1100 yards this year, if Minor/Konrad/Henry et. all, get another 900-1000 between them, and specially if the Chambers/Boston tandem get 180 rec. and 2000 yards.
That would not upset me one bit. It keeps RW from being beaten up, and balances the offense.

Hey LARRY!
You hit one of my points on the head...
made the offense .... key in on him

I understood his philosophy. However, with Ricky back there, I feel it was EASIER for the QB to dump off to Ricky or audible to the RUN. Having Travis back there MADE the QB have to be more decisive about his checkoffs and audibles.

And, the other benefit of having Travis back there was his little known ability to run the ball. Given a FAIR chance, the kid can quickly bust one on ya. With him back there, Ds dropped off into coverage and that opened holes for him to run in. Holes RICKY NEVER got.

And, even though I didn't mind the experiment.... I HATED Norv's unwillingness to CHANGE the plan when it wasn't working.

This is where I think Collier will rewrite our gameplanning and gametime decisiion making.

Personally, I think we are in for an offensive treat this year. I see us going back to our 2002 philosophies with Ricky AND now having DB as an added dimension.

Frankly, if the pieces come together like they should.... I don't see any D dictating to us. I would firmly support the theory that we might have our best offense in decades. Not even Dan had this many options and weapons.

If everything pans out.... I see us having a potential Top 5 or 3 Offense. When you think of the power we now have.... it honestly is scary.

I agree REV!

Here's numbers I'd like to see:

Boston - 1200 yards, 6 TDs
Chambers - 1000 yards, 10 TDs
McMichael - 400 yards, 6 TDs
Ricky - 1200 yards/300 yards, 10 TDs/2 TDs
QB - 3200 yards/200 yards, 26 TDs/2 TDs

I think I could sleep easier at night.... THAT's FOR SURE!

But, I'm only one man!

Originally posted by TheBostonBomber
williams is the better back in my opinion, he may not be better then portis though. Ricky will make a statement this year, he will let everybody know that hes still a BEAST.

I think it's the other way around.

I feel that Tomlinson is easily the best back in the league, while Ricky is still better than Portis (because the guy is smaller and just hasn't stayed healthy).

People forget that in '02, Robert Edwards spelled Ricky A LOT in the first half of the season. That was huge. Last year, nobody spelled Ricky. They ran him into the ground. The OL was worse (sorry, but the Jet OL wasn't as bad as our horrible OL), and the passing game further regressed. Combine that with defenses adjusting and it's not hard to see why things were the way they were.

Ricky wasn't the same back last year. The explosion just wasn't the same thru 16 games as it was in '02. Hopefully we'll get him a QB and an OL. And maybe he can run without getting hit in the backfield so much.

Originally posted by Dolphinizzle:

" With a better receiving corpse, Ricky will take a lot less abuse "

I may be wrong but I think you're calling our recievers stiffs .

:eek:

Well remember the quality of defenses we play twice a year vs San Diego.
New England
Buffalo (#3 defense but offense sucked)
Jets (OK)

VS
KC (We all know how good their D was)
Oakland (Doormat team)
Denver (Solid D at times but missing many starters by mid season)

LT is better than Ricky but remember he didn't do squat against our run defense either. I believe our O-line was worse than San Diego's but think our QB was better (except when Griese was in there).

Originally posted by NathanHunt
I agree REV!

Here's numbers I'd like to see:

Boston - 1200 yards, 6 TDs
Chambers - 1000 yards, 10 TDs
McMichael - 400 yards, 6 TDs
Ricky - 1200 yards/300 yards, 10 TDs/2 TDs
QB - 3200 yards/200 yards, 26 TDs/2 TDs

I think I could sleep easier at night.... THAT's FOR SURE!

But, I'm only one man!
wow, that's a lot to ask for. With those nos. the fins should win the sb.

nah, I wouldn't say SHOULD win.

Don't forget, stats aren't everything....

I recall having the Sack Leader and Rushing Champ in one year.... But they watched the playoffs with me @ home.

My list of stats was just a list, in response to Rev. I think DB is going to open up a lot for us... just being on the field. Not too mention I like the design "behind the scenes".

Collier has been the RB coach for a few years. He saw what Norv's system did to Ricky. I think he will take Ricky's health and durability more personal than Norv/Wanny did.

Sullivan will help get Boston's potential onto the field. I think there is a strong possibility the Boston has come to Miami to seriously rebuild his reputation. His reputation means a lot to him. I think he knows he can no longer say "look what I've done in my career". I think he now knows he has to prove he still is the player he thinks he is. His coming to Miami to rejoin Sullivan proves he is serious about rejoining a dedication to playing football. Not "strikin' a pose" and "voguing" every time the cameras flash.

It's a tough league. Sometimes the smallest advantages can translate into winning it all. I think we've finally collected enough BIG pieces to win. Now, it's time for the smaller pieces to come into place and make it all work.

JMO

Back
Top Bottom