Am I Missing Something? (Brunell) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Am I Missing Something? (Brunell)

Canuck

Starter
Reaction score
With the recent rumours regarding Brunell possibly being traded to the Skins, I ask myself.....how?

How can a team (Was or other) trade for a guy who's 2004 cap hit is over 8 mil?

Few teams can devote that kinda cap space. Theoretically, I suppose the ones that have the cap space, could but then the Jags will have to eat the Mar 1st 2 mil roster bonus they'd owe Brunell. Then, they'd have to agree on draft pick/player compensation to the Jags. Now the Jags have plenty of time to work out the parameters with such a team but how many out there have the cap room? And who are they?

Now Brunell can make things easier by agreeing to restructure his deal to facilitate a trade but he wants to start. Few teams can offer that and Was has devoted a 1st rounder to a QB just 3 years ago. I cannot see Brunell wanting to go there. No way can I see that plus it's in DC, not Florida. It just doesn't add up. This whole things stinks of a Jax PR ploy to me.

As far as I'm concerned, Miami should stay the course and offer absolutely nothing. Allow Brunell to be cut prior to Mar 1st and sign him when free agency begins. The only teams we need to worry about are the ones who have the cap space and are willing to offer pick(s) for a 33 year old veteran QB.

Am I seeing this right?

They are not going to release him.

Do to the recent interest from several teams, they are paying the 2m bonus, thus keeping him a Jag. Only way he can be acquired now is via trade, and the competition between teams appears to be fierce.

Perhaps they will pay the bonus and try and trade him. However I have trouble believing anyone would give up a second rounder for him. If he was wotrh that why did the jags draft a qb? Moreover why would a team with a young starting qb give up a pick like that for him. I like Brunell but this is grandstanding. The Jags are hoping to get tentative offers that would validate paying 2 mil plus in a bonus. I dont know if a 3rd or 4th would be worth 2 mil (I doubt it) but that is all he would be worth in a trade IMHO.

good! now get on with getting rivers! let the redskins overpay his ars. I dont want him. he will only cost us in the future.

Here's my take on the Brunell thing......I like him, and I think he would be a Huge upgrade over Fiedler. If we could get Henson for a future pick, and get Brunell for a reasonable price, (excluding high draft picks)it would be the perfect QB situation for us and we could put that aside and worry about the other issues. I think Ogun for Brunell and a 3rd rounder would be a good trade. BUT.. there is no way I would give up our picks for a QB w/ maybe 3 years left in his tank, when we're already NOT a young team. If JAX decides they have to have a pick (Del Rio said he expects a 1st rounder rofl), then let's just keep ours and get Rivers because he'll be ready to play before Henson. Besides, I'm a 'Get Rivers and let him start now' supporter lol. Oh well, there are so many options at QB the dolphins could persue, (Ramsey if Was gets Brunell?) it could be considered no less than a Royal F*ck up by our front office if we don't come out with a good QB next year.

hey just for reference. the qb who brunell lost his job to (hiesman runner up byron leftwhich) won 5-13 games started. that is one less game won in in 1 less game started than brunell and he is a rookie. brunell has no talent around him? maybe so. but how can a rookie win 1 less game in one season than brunell has in 2 seasons? and leftrwhich is a mistake machine. 16ints in 15 games played. where brunell's numbers are much less. BUT he still pulls out the W. and from what i hear thats what gets you to the playoffs. (btw, one of those wins was against the co-mvp lead colts so he has had some quality of wins)

Originally posted by Lukin
Here's my take on the Brunell thing......I like him, and I think he would be a Huge upgrade over Fiedler. If we could get Henson for a future pick, and get Brunell for a reasonable price, (excluding high draft picks)it would be the perfect QB situation for us and we could put that aside and worry about the other issues. I think Ogun for Brunell and a 3rd rounder would be a good trade. BUT.. there is no way I would give up our picks for a QB w/ maybe 3 years left in his tank, when we're already NOT a young team. If JAX decides they have to have a pick (Del Rio said he expects a 1st rounder rofl), then let's just keep ours and get Rivers because he'll be ready to play before Henson. Besides, I'm a 'Get Rivers and let him start now' supporter lol. Oh well, there are so many options at QB the dolphins could persue, (Ramsey if Was gets Brunell?) it could be considered no less than a Royal F*ck up by our front office if we don't come out with a good QB next year.

Isn't the trade of Ogun(Not that they can trade him anyway) for Brunell and a third the same as giving them a first?

If you think we'll get a 1st for Ogunleye then yeah. But that's an optimistic outlook and I'm a pecimist (tends to lead to less dissapointments lol). I hope they do though....i don't see any team willing to invest tons of money and two draft picks in a DE that still has some ???'s. We could just resign him then trade him off.

Originally posted by finfan54
good! now get on with getting rivers! let the redskins overpay his ars. I dont want him. he will only cost us in the future.

Screw the future! I want someone who can win for us NOW! Put Brunnell in and we win a superbowl. Draft a rookie (leaving us with the ever-lame Fiedler until our rookie blossoms and we are screwed. By the time that rookie develops, out stellar defense in ancient, and we are talking about a whole new team.
The future is NOW my friend!

Jax is not going to give Brunell his $2mil EOD....
The Jaguars had planned to release Brunell before he is due a $2 million roster bonus on March 3, but they could restructure the deal and then trade him on that day.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...feb09,0,614434.story?coll=sfla-dolphins-front

he will restructure and be traded or be cut. 2mil is too much to eat for a backup

I am still surpised we are competing ag Wash and SD who both have young high picks and SD s/take Manning. Only Dallas makes sense IMO

Originally posted by A.J. Fin

Screw the future! I want someone who can win for us NOW!

That's crazy talk man! You seriously want to end up like Tampa or Oakland?

Originally posted by Lukin

That's crazy talk man! You seriously want to end up like Tampa or Oakland?
Tampa :yes: Oak :nono:

Brunell is 19-30 as a starter over the past four seasons, during which he was slowed by concussions and an elbow injury.

Let this be a lesson to the NFL on why not to frickin tip your hand about a guy before free agency. For the last few months we've been hearing all kinds of rumors about who will immediately jump in the race for Mark Brunell. We got names like Oakland, Miami, Dallas, San Diego, Tampa Bay, and others. The point being it was obvious that Brunell was all the sudden the newest hot commodity on the free agent market. Any team who immediately wanted to win and still had a young guy they weren't sure is ready to win yet, all the sudden seemed interested in Brunell.

Then other stuff started happening. Like the Warner situation in St Louis, with Mike Martz vehemently denying that he will either release or trade him. Tim Couch being retained in Cleveland (nobody really wants Kelly Holcombe more than any guy on their own roster). Now the Garcia/49ers situation looks cloudy too.

So then Jack Del Rio takes a look at the free agent market. Hmm. Unrestricted Free Agents are set to be as follows...

Doug Johnson
Chris Redman
Anthony Wright
Shane Matthews
Ty Detmer
Peyton Manning (fat chance in he|| that he even sees free agency)
Jesse Palmer
Todd Bouman
Rick Mirer

Not exactly the Dan Marinos of the NFL in this bunch are they? In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is king. So the Jags naturally took the interest in Brunell and calculated a demand curve in it. And as unbelievable a bluff it is that the Jags would actually KEEP Brunell's cap figure on their 2004 salary cap rather than trade him, the demand appears to be so high for the reasons I've stated, and by the evidence thats been given in months of speculation as to which team gets Brunell, that it puts the Jags in position to ask a very high amount for Brunell because these teams are that desperate for a guy they can use to win now.

So yeah, the Jags are gonna eat the $2 million bonus in order to strengthen their bargaining position and get a first round pick out of these people. Think of teams that have young QBs that aren't ready to win now yet are facing pressure to win now. I think Gibbs is convinced he's in exactly that position. Miami doesn't even HAVE that young QB yet but fans would probably bomb the Davie facilities if we went into another season with Fiedler at the helm. Oakland is letting go of Gannon, with Tuiasasopu not ready to win yet and prospects good for drafting either Manning or Roethlisberger but not much ability to win now between the two of them. San Diego says they won't go after a QB with the #1 pick but Brees still isn't the answer.

Basically there's enough teams out there stuck between a rock and a hard place that have little choice but to go after Brunell, that the Jags can get away with this. I don't know that they are going to get a 1st round pick, but a 2nd rounder certainly does not seem out of the question in this scenario.

Like I said all along. Miami should grab Ricky Ray, let he and Sage duke it out for the start, then do WHATEVER it takes to draft Phil Rivers...and if it means swapping 1st rounders with the Houston Texans by giving up Ogunleye, in order to bypass Pittsburgh and Buffalo, so be it.

Back
Top Bottom