Am I Missing Something? (Brunell) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Am I Missing Something? (Brunell)

Originally posted by ckparrothead
Let this be a lesson to the NFL on why not to frickin tip your hand about a guy before free agency. For the last few months we've been hearing all kinds of rumors about who will immediately jump in the race for Mark Brunell. We got names like Oakland, Miami, Dallas, San Diego, Tampa Bay, and others. The point being it was obvious that Brunell was all the sudden the newest hot commodity on the free agent market. Any team who immediately wanted to win and still had a young guy they weren't sure is ready to win yet, all the sudden seemed interested in Brunell.

Then other stuff started happening. Like the Warner situation in St Louis, with Mike Martz vehemently denying that he will either release or trade him. Tim Couch being retained in Cleveland (nobody really wants Kelly Holcombe more than any guy on their own roster). Now the Garcia/49ers situation looks cloudy too.

So then Jack Del Rio takes a look at the free agent market. Hmm. Unrestricted Free Agents are set to be as follows...

Doug Johnson
Chris Redman
Anthony Wright
Shane Matthews
Ty Detmer
Peyton Manning (fat chance in he|| that he even sees free agency)
Jesse Palmer
Todd Bouman
Rick Mirer

Not exactly the Dan Marinos of the NFL in this bunch are they? In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is king. So the Jags naturally took the interest in Brunell and calculated a demand curve in it. And as unbelievable a bluff it is that the Jags would actually KEEP Brunell's cap figure on their 2004 salary cap rather than trade him, the demand appears to be so high for the reasons I've stated, and by the evidence thats been given in months of speculation as to which team gets Brunell, that it puts the Jags in position to ask a very high amount for Brunell because these teams are that desperate for a guy they can use to win now.

So yeah, the Jags are gonna eat the $2 million bonus in order to strengthen their bargaining position and get a first round pick out of these people. Think of teams that have young QBs that aren't ready to win now yet are facing pressure to win now. I think Gibbs is convinced he's in exactly that position. Miami doesn't even HAVE that young QB yet but fans would probably bomb the Davie facilities if we went into another season with Fiedler at the helm. Oakland is letting go of Gannon, with Tuiasasopu not ready to win yet and prospects good for drafting either Manning or Roethlisberger but not much ability to win now between the two of them. San Diego says they won't go after a QB with the #1 pick but Brees still isn't the answer.

Basically there's enough teams out there stuck between a rock and a hard place that have little choice but to go after Brunell, that the Jags can get away with this. I don't know that they are going to get a 1st round pick, but a 2nd rounder certainly does not seem out of the question in this scenario.

Like I said all along. Miami should grab Ricky Ray, let he and Sage duke it out for the start, then do WHATEVER it takes to draft Phil Rivers...and if it means swapping 1st rounders with the Houston Texans by giving up Ogunleye, in order to bypass Pittsburgh and Buffalo, so be it.

Everything you said made sense execept for the last part about Ricky Ray and Sage.This team is about winning now and we don't need a first year QB at the helm who make plenty of mistakes.I would much rather see Fiedler back than your scenerio.

Oh and I just wanted to say I'm very happy for Brunell the way this is all turning out. This newfound bevy of demand for his services couldn't have happened to a better guy. What happened to him in Jacksonville, though understandable considering Leftwich's talents, definitely sucked for him because he was Mr. Jacksonville and did so much for that community. He plans to retire there. He built a fricking CHURCH there for cryin out loud and if you wanna do somethin to endear yourself to the Jacksonville community, its building a church. I don't like how he's been hinting that he doesn't want to go to a team with a first round QB, but I can see why the Leftwich thing gave him the taste in his mouth that allowed him to say that, and I can also see that with all the perceived demand out there...he MAY actually have enough bollocks in his basket to be able to demand something like that and get away with it.

I don't necessarily want him to be a Dolphin because I don't believe its the best course this franchise could take, but I do wish him well wherever he goes. It would have been nice to get him AND draft Rivers I suppose but that doesn't seem very likely and probably never was very likely. As they say on PTI...Happy Trails, Mark Brunell.

If the Chargers are pursuing Brunell like many reports have stated, and they are not interested in drafting a QB #1 (ala Ryan Leaf), watch for the Chargers to offer their #1 to Jax for Brunell and the Jax #1.

Just a little speculation...

There's a difference between Fiedler and Sage Rosenfels.

Rosenfels, we don't know if he can lead us to a Super Bowl.

Fiedler, we KNOW he can't.

Like I said all along. Miami should grab Ricky Ray, let he and Sage duke it out for the start, then do WHATEVER it takes to draft Phil Rivers...and if it means swapping 1st rounders with the Houston Texans by giving up Ogunleye, in order to bypass Pittsburgh and Buffalo, so be it.

If Ricky has a good work out and the fins think he's worthy AND we lose out on Brunell I like your idea. I still believe Sage should have a chance to prove his worth or lack thereof. I've read some nice things about Rivers but he seems like 1-2 years off.

There's a difference between Fiedler and Sage Rosenfels.

Rosenfels, we don't know if he can lead us to a Super Bowl.

Fiedler, we KNOW he can't.

I disagree.....

Give Fiedler better Oline and Fiedler can get the job done.First years QB are just headaches.Only QB to ever do anything special as first year starter was Kurt Warner and Sage is no Kurt Warner.

If we can't land Brunell then I would like to see:

Fiedler back for another year and hopefully Rivers being drafted #20.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by minus

I disagree.....

Give Fiedler better Oline and Fiedler can get the job done.First years QB are just headaches.Only QB to ever do anything special as first year starter was Kurt Warner and Sage is no Kurt Warner.

Dude, you are way behind the times. Fiedler is history as a Fins starter....no one's even debating that anymore. Four years is plenty long enough to prove if you're capable or not. He proved he's not. Give him the best o-line in the world, he still has the accuracy of a bat.
Join us in the present and future. Fiedler is part of the forgettable past.

Seems like the more I read about Rivers, the more I like about him. The more I compare him to other draft picks that have come out and succeeded or not succeeded, the more I like about him.

There's one thing that reading through old draft profiles you see in common between guys like Pennington, Brady, Rivers, and even Bulger. And thats their ability to win the big game or perform well in the big game. Pennington, Ramsey, and Rivers were all the best QBs in their Senior Bowl, and thats pretty good company for Rivers to be in cuz he did better at the Senior Bowl than either Pennington or Ramsey. Sage Rosenfels also looked the best outta his bunch but it was a poor year for the Senior Bowl and for QBs in general. Oh well I don't wanna get on another Rivers rant. I tell ya this, those who think Rivers' production was just a product of him being in a QB-oriented short passing offense, you have one thing to look at. Yards per Attempt. That stat usually does not lie. And Rivers' 9.3 yards per attempt is the 2nd highest in NCAA Division 1-A...second to BC's Ryan Dinwiddie who had 9.8 (which is pretty darn good...good job Dinwiddie). Just to put it in perspective, Drew Brees coming out of his own pass-oriented system floated at a mere 7.0 yard per attempt his whole career as a boilermaker.

Originally posted by A.J. Fin

Dude, you are way behind the times. Fiedler is history as a Fins starter....no one's even debating that anymore. Four years is plenty long enough to prove if you're capable or not. He proved he's not. Give him the best o-line in the world, he still has the accuracy of a bat.
Join us in the present and future. Fiedler is part of the forgettable past.

First two years,what offensive weapons did Fiedler have?How about the Dolphins put together a decent oline to go along another compliment receiver on other side of Chambers.Just settling for any QB is not going to anything but make things worst.We can sure use an upgrade at QB but only clear upgrade might be headed to another team.If Fiedler is our best option for next year than might as well keep him not dump for unproven first year player on a team is not looking to rebuild.I'm glad some of you are not GM of this team.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Lukin

That's crazy talk man! You seriously want to end up like Tampa or Oakland?

Yes I'd be happy to follow either of their paths....right to the superbowl.
Oakland (not this years Oakland, but the Oakland of the three years prior) was a great example of a strong team who just need a QB to step in. That's what WE are too.
If we draft a rookie, we have to wait for him to develop...(Brady leading his team to a superbowl as a rookie is by far the exception) and by the time he is ready, we've got a team of old geezers who've seen better days.
The future is now baby!

Originally posted by Canuck
With the recent rumours regarding Brunell possibly being traded to the Skins, I ask myself.....how?

How can a team (Was or other) trade for a guy who's 2004 cap hit is over 8 mil?

Few teams can devote that kinda cap space. Theoretically, I suppose the ones that have the cap space, could but then the Jags will have to eat the Mar 1st 2 mil roster bonus they'd owe Brunell. Then, they'd have to agree on draft pick/player compensation to the Jags. Now the Jags have plenty of time to work out the parameters with such a team but how many out there have the cap room? And who are they?

Now Brunell can make things easier by agreeing to restructure his deal to facilitate a trade but he wants to start. Few teams can offer that and Was has devoted a 1st rounder to a QB just 3 years ago. I cannot see Brunell wanting to go there. No way can I see that plus it's in DC, not Florida. It just doesn't add up. This whole things stinks of a Jax PR ploy to me.

As far as I'm concerned, Miami should stay the course and offer absolutely nothing. Allow Brunell to be cut prior to Mar 1st and sign him when free agency begins. The only teams we need to worry about are the ones who have the cap space and are willing to offer pick(s) for a 33 year old veteran QB.

Am I seeing this right?

While I disagree with you as to the reality of this thing (this trade has a very strong likelihood of ocurring) I agree that Miami should offer nothing for pile QB Brunell; there are better solutions at QB that have much greater long term prospects.

The fact of the matter in this case is: under the present set of circumstances Miami will not get Brunell without giving up their 1st round pick at #20 which is about 200 spots higher than what Brunell is currently worth. Also, given the interest being shown by several other teams in trading for him at this juncture, there's also very little chance that-- unless Brunell decides to take less money-- that he'll be a Dolphin next year if he's cut and becomes an UFA. This is due to the fact that other teams have more money and would easily be able to outbid Miami if it came down to a bidding war.

To all of you who thought this was a slam dunk case, it may be time to start thinking about what the Dolphins' prospects are without the services of Brunell.

Ehem...(Brady)...ehem (Delhomme)...ehech (Wright)...ahhem (Maddox)...AHEM (Pennington)...aaghchfllfhch (Culpepper)...blech (Kitna)...cough cough (Bulger)...

Boy I just seem to be coughing up first year QBs who led their respective teams to the playoffs.

Originally posted by minus

First two years,what offensive weapons did Fiedler have?How about the Dolphins put together a decent oline to go along another compliment receiver on other side of Chambers.Just settling for any QB is not going to anything but make things worst.We can sure use an upgrade at QB but only clear upgrade might be headed to another team.If Fiedler is our best option for next year than might as well keep him not dump for unproven first year player on a team is not looking to rebuild.I'm glad some of you are not GM of this team.

Fiedler our best option? Jeeeshh, it's only February and already we are all out of options? Wow. Here I thought all these rookies in the draft, all these QB's mentioned (Brunnell, Volek, Warner, Kitna, Garcia, etc) were all options.
Sorry, my mistake...I didn't realize it was just down to Jay again.
Of course, if it's not mistake, then I guess I'm glad YOU are not GM...we'd be down to one QB option!
:goof:

Ehem...(Brady)...ehem (Delhomme)...ehech (Wright)...ahhem (Maddox)...AHEM (Pennington)...aaghchfllfhch (Culpepper)...blech (Kitna)...cough cough (Bulger)...

Boy I just seem to be coughing up first year QBs who led their respective teams to the playoffs.

Who said anything about playoffs? I can list you a thousand playoff QB's. I said the superbowl, and I said "Rookie". That leaves...let's see.....ahh yes, AHEM (BRADY)!

I don't give a damn about the Superbowl. I'd just like to be consistent and not be horrible one week and great the next... Maybe I'm the only one,, but the way I see it, it's foolish to base your team's success SOLEY on whether or not they win the SB, I just look at that as a big bonus. I'd be happy to just be a serious contender in the near future..:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom