and the miami dolphins select... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

and the miami dolphins select...

They appeased the owner and the masses by bringing in Brandon Marshall last year. I would think they'd want to appease them by bringing in a QB this year.

We're in sort of a unique situation though where Dol-Fans are sort of settling in on Ryan Mallett as that guy at #15. If you look at Ben Volin's latest blog which is about Ryan Mallett, he posts a poll question. Over 80% of the people have one way or another said "YES" to Mallett. Half think just take him at #15, and half want a trade down. The half that want a trade down...let's just say...if we took him at #15 they wouldn't be booing like the crowd at Cam Cameron.

So more and more I think this Miami fanbase are going to settle in with Mallett at #15, just like they did with Brady Quinn at #9. That makes me wonder what's going to happen. If they take Mallett, then it will be a GOOD thing...because the fanbase will have already been on board and they'll give him breaks. I felt bad for Daunte Culpepper when he came on because I swear before he even started a game, half the fanbase already hated him. He was literally booed in the first half of his first home game. I'll never forget that.

But if we've got 80+ percent approval ratings for Ryan Mallett, we have a chance of having him get on well with the fans and media for a while. That would be ideal. He might not look awesome right away. He didn't at Michigan. And in my horrific worrywart dreams I could sort of see Sparano not liking him to where everyone's always wondering why Sparano isn't putting him in and it being some ridiculous sh-t like Mallett not always getting rid of the ball by the 3 second buzzer in practice.

so could i...god i wish we had fired that clown

I really think its unlikely, but definitely not to be discounted. At 15, they are essentially in a tough spot in "this" draft. But lets say they can't trade down, and they have concerns with Ingram (injury) and Mallet (off the field), and aren't really as high on Ponder as they are letting on . . . atleast not #15 high. I dunno, I believe they met with JJ Watt and I know he fits what they want to do . . . it just wouldn't shock me. Maybe they resign Brown and go OL, RB, TE in rounds 3, 4 and 5? Sign a speedy WR in Free Agency for cheap or maybe they want to put their eggs in a 2012 QB and go the FA route . . . I dunno . . . I just think in this type of draft JJ could be the best player at 15 and considering he is a BIG 10 lineman . . . who this regime LOVES . . . it just wouldn't shock me like it would many others.

That being said, they have to know the feedback they would get with that kind of pick at 15. It would be a feeding frenzy all over . . . from newspapers, to beat writers to the fans.

there's no question in my mind ponder at #15 is too high...but if its between him and a 3-4 de with the pick my god please go with the qb...and i love cameron jordan as everyone knows...he's absolutely worth the pick but we just got enough 3-4 ends if odrick can come back to where we need to use that top pick elsewhere

honestly though if its christian ponder these guys covet they should trade back...into the mid 20's i'd take the chance on him being there...mallet i would not...seattle is waiting for him to fall in their laps

i'm all about some either mallet ingram or pouncey cause i think he's gonna make a heck of a left guard...and with pouncey i would try and trade back to 20 and still get him...the only guys at #15 i'm on board with taking outright would be mallet and ingram and since i like the rb class a lot better than i do the qb class i have come around to mallet the preferred choice...why not take a chance on greatness at qb

i did hear something i wasn't aware of today...one of the guys on espn quoted that in the nfl in 2010 something like 55 percent of passes thrown were thrown under some form of pressure...to me pressure and inability to reset his feet is ryan malletts krytponite so that's something that has to be a cause for some concern...

After the BCS game, I wasn't too big on Mallett. He's prone to make a dumb play when the pressure is on. However, if we're staying at #15, I think he's our best option. Unless we trade down, I can't see another player worth grabbing at #15 unless a top-10 guy somehow falls.

Eh, hard to be too tough on a kid based on ONE game. Especially a game in which he played damn near terrific.

Hell, the two performances in Rose Bowls I watched Vince Young put on was better than anything I've seen since Charlie Ward. It didn't bode very well for Vince Young's ever materializing into a "franchise" quarterback..

Eh, hard to be too tough on a kid based on ONE game. Especially a game in which he played damn near terrific.

Hell, the two performances in Rose Bowls I watched Vince Young put on was better than anything I've seen since Charlie Ward. It didn't bode very well for Vince Young's ever materializing into a "franchise" quarterback..

Not just one game. I believe he also threw an ill-advised INT against Alabama. Both of those were high pressure games where he made a bad decision. I'm not saying to pass on him, but I am saying that in two high-pressured situations, he made bad decisions. No deep hidden meaning there. Just making an observation.

If they don't go QB or Ingram . . . they really need to trade down and maybe pick up Carimi and a 2nd rounder. Fits the Big 10 theme, he is going to be a great RT in the NFL . . . but he might win the LG spot on this team as well, dude is going to start on this line somewhere. In the 2nd, you leave yourself options to go anywhere that fills a need. Maybe a QB they thought about in round 1 slips . . . maybe the RB they love is there in round 2 . . . maybe the outside speedster is there . . . just leaves them options.

Are we really discounting them taking JJ Watt or Cam Jordan at 15? I mean on paper obviously that is a hell no . . . but for some reason I feel they are in the mix if they fall to 15. They have Langford and Merling as FA's after the year, McDaniel more than likely won't be back. They have Starks for 2 more years, Soliai on a 1 year deal and Odrick from last season. I dunno, wouldn't suprise me at all to be honest with you.

If we can trade down and snag Carimi I will be happy camper. Move Carey to G where I think he will finish career and stop ****ing about with interior O'line.

Not just one game. I believe he also threw an ill-advised INT against Alabama. Both of those were high pressure games where he made a bad decision. I'm not saying to pass on him, but I am saying that in two high-pressured situations, he made bad decisions. No deep hidden meaning there. Just making an observation.

Well, there's not a quarterback that's faced Alabama's defense the past 2 years or so that hasn't thrown an ill advised interception.

Guy's like Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder, Cam Newton, etc. have all been throwing the same ill advised interceptions with the game on the line, except they were doing it against defenses that don't equal Bama's...

Well, there's not a quarterback that's faced Alabama's defense the past 2 years or so that hasn't thrown an ill advised interception.

Guy's like Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder, Cam Newton, etc. have all been throwing the same ill advised interceptions with the game on the line, except they were doing it against defenses that don't equal Bama's...

Again, just making an observation. No need to argue semantics.

I'm just having a hard time believing Mallet falls to 15. I'm no draft guru, but when I watch the youtube videos of the all the QB's, Mallet looks like a Pro QB. I have a gut feeling that the QB that falls in this draft is gonna be Gabbert. Just a feelin'.

After watching Sparano condone inside running plays and dinky 5-yard passes (while we were down 14+ points in Q4 last season)......

I would not put it past him to use our #15 pick on a LT

cant_fix_stupid12939-1.jpg

Do we really need your political commentary about American presidents when your user name is TrinidadDolfan and you have the Trinidad flag as your avatar?

Again, just making an observation. No need to argue semantics.

Right. I suppose my point is that Ryan Mallett seems to get hammered for throwing an interception against the 2 best defenses in the country, when the other quarterbacks get a free pass for throwing even worse interceptions, at even worse times, against much worse defenses. Nobody will even talk about it.

Again, Mallett has had only three games in the past 2 years where he's had multiple interceptions... Blaine Gabbert has had SEVEN 2+ interception games over that same span...while facing defenses nowhere near the caliber of SEC defenses.

If Mallett's receivers simply catch the football against Ohio St., Mallett has 4 TD passes and 0 INT's, and is probably standing on the sideline in the 4th quarter watching his backup Tyler Wilson run out the clock.

I'd be afraid to see the type of performance a quarterback like Blaine Gabbert would have against Bama's defense... or Ohio St.

The difference is Mallett's production and ability to move the ball down the field and score points more than makes up for the occassional interception. That's not necessarily the case with quite a few of the other quarterbacks in this draft.

I'd be very happy if we drafted Ryan Mallet.

I know he is a shot in the dark, but you have to at some point take a risk to try and find this team a good QB.

Drafting Mallet would be the smartest thing for Sporano/Ireland. It's the only way they realistically get to see another year of employment from the Dolphins. If they don't then the fans will deliver an ultimatum to Ross by canceling season tickets and not purchasing merchandise.

Right. I suppose my point is that Ryan Mallett seems to get hammered for throwing an interception against the 2 best defenses in the country, when the other quarterbacks get a free pass for throwing even worse interceptions, at even worse times, against much worse defenses. Nobody will even talk about it.

Again, Mallett has had only three games in the past 2 years where he's had multiple interceptions... Blaine Gabbert has had SEVEN 2+ interception games over that same span...while facing defenses nowhere near the caliber of SEC defenses.

If Mallett's receivers simply catch the football against Ohio St., Mallett has 4 TD passes and 0 INT's, and is probably standing on the sideline in the 4th quarter watching his backup Tyler Wilson run out the clock.

I'd be afraid to see the type of performance a quarterback like Blaine Gabbert would have against Bama's defense... or Ohio St.

The difference is Mallett's production and ability to move the ball down the field and score points more than makes up for the occassional interception. That's not necessarily the case with quite a few of the other quarterbacks in this draft.

To be clear, I wasn't hammering on Mallett. I was just pointing out the way that game ended left a Henne-esque feeling in me. I've watched a lot of Mallett and have been just as impressed with him as most. His character issues do concern me, but at #15, I'd take a chance. Furthermore, I hope we at least give him a line if we draft him, because he has no mobility. :)

Back
Top Bottom