and the miami dolphins select... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

and the miami dolphins select...

To be clear, I wasn't hammering on Mallett. I was just pointing out the way that game ended left a Henne-esque feeling in me. I've watched a lot of Mallett and have been just as impressed with him as most. His character issues do concern me, but at #15, I'd take a chance. Furthermore, I hope we at least give him a line if we draft him, because he has no mobility. :)

Limited mobility, but he does have pocket presence . . . we watched a QB sling the rock for 17 years with "limited" mobility but elite pocket presence, and he did pretty well.

The thing that bothers me the most with Mallet is how can a QB who is clearly the best QB on film be rated by so many people as a 2nd round prospect. What the hell is going on off the field with this kid . . . honestly? I mean we can nitpick at the occassional bonehead INT or the limited mobility . . . but his arm, the throws he has made, and the competition he has face more than make up for that. I dunno . . . something isn't right and I hope this front office has relied on their "own" homework rather than the stuff that others have been spewing out.

I'd take him at 15 . . . I just don't think he makes it there. Miami is going to have to be "proactive" if they want to secure their QB. I mean whats stopping Gabbert and Newton going top 5 . . . Locker going top 10 to San Fran, Tennessee or Washington, Mallet to the Vikings and Jville trading up with the Lions or Rams and going Ponder? Unlikely? hell yea it is . . . but it could happen . . . teams need QB's this year.

Do we really need your political commentary about American presidents when your user name is TrinidadDolfan and you have the Trinidad flag as your avatar?

Rickd13, shame on you.

I am really disappointed that you had to get personal with this. Are you always this sensitive about each wisecrack made about Bush? If I had a funny avatar with "Oprah" in it, would you accuse me of hating women? If I posted a picture of a cheerleader would you accuse me of being "sexist"? Wow..

As for "Dolphin39" and "lil tom gigby" who posted a "thanks" to Rickd13's comments, shame on you too. You both should have known better.

Since when is Finheaven a place where we start pointing fingers at each other based on what we "perceive" as nationality, race, gender, where we live, where we don't live etc...

I am glad to know that the majority of Finheaven does not support your "finger-pointing", "over-sensitive" rudeness.

So....... keep the political/racial thoughts inside your head, do not get personal again, and lets get back to talking Fins football o.k?

p.s For the record, I voted for Bush junior AND senior.

So quit crying about "political commentary" (which is wasn't) and, for heaven's sake....

clear.gif

Right. I suppose my point is that Ryan Mallett seems to get hammered for throwing an interception against the 2 best defenses in the country, when the other quarterbacks get a free pass for throwing even worse interceptions, at even worse times, against much worse defenses. Nobody will even talk about it.

Again, Mallett has had only three games in the past 2 years where he's had multiple interceptions... Blaine Gabbert has had SEVEN 2+ interception games over that same span...while facing defenses nowhere near the caliber of SEC defenses.

If Mallett's receivers simply catch the football against Ohio St., Mallett has 4 TD passes and 0 INT's, and is probably standing on the sideline in the 4th quarter watching his backup Tyler Wilson run out the clock.

I'd be afraid to see the type of performance a quarterback like Blaine Gabbert would have against Bama's defense... or Ohio St.

The difference is Mallett's production and ability to move the ball down the field and score points more than makes up for the occassional interception. That's not necessarily the case with quite a few of the other quarterbacks in this draft.

Generally speaking, Mallett's been getting a ton a unfair criticism. In my eyes, the only thing keeping him from being worthy of #1 consideration is his lack of mobility. And, I'm not talking about M. Vick mobility. I'm talking about T. Brady mobility. He's passable in the pocket, but if he tightened up and maximized his athleticism (doubt he'd ever be C. Newton in that regard), I think he'd have to be one of the favorites to go #1 overall. As it stands, I'd be happy with him at #15.

Do we really need your political commentary about American presidents when your user name is TrinidadDolfan and you have the Trinidad flag as your avatar?

Ease up there, bro.

My take on this is that he's making a joke questioning the intelligence of our head coach using a comparison to a public figure that isn't known for his intelligence.

This is not political commentary.

Ease up there, bro.

My take on this is that he's making a joke questioning the intelligence of our head coach using a comparison to a public figure that isn't known for his intelligence.

This is not political commentary.

Thanks Bumpus,

Half of me was hoping that rickd13 thought "ooops!" after writing what he did. And then all would be fine in the world again.
But....... he has not edited his comment, so, I guess not

i did hear something i wasn't aware of today...one of the guys on espn quoted that in the nfl in 2010 something like 55 percent of passes thrown were thrown under some form of pressure...to me pressure and inability to reset his feet is ryan malletts krytponite so that's something that has to be a cause for some concern...

That seems to me like a bogus stat. Sometimes people use that word to describe blitzes. You hear coaches use them interchangeably. To me pressure means you successfully affected the quarterback and got him to rush the throw as he's about to be hit, or change his stance, move out of the way, etc. Just blitzing a guy isn't pressure. But coaches talk about defenses that "pressure" and when they do that what they mean is defenses that blitz, bring extra men to the quarterback. That's how Nick Saban used to use the word.

But anyway, if this person was tallying up all the times that QBs were BLITZED and/or pressured...then 55 percent is believable. If they're talking about just the number of times a QB was actually put under pressure, it's more like 25-30 percent on the low end (Matt Hasselbeck, Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Matt Schaub, Tom Brady, Eli Manning, Carson Palmer, Mark Sanchez) and then on the high end 35-40 percent (Ben Roethlisberger, Michael Vick, David Garrard, Matt Cassel, Phil Rivers, Josh Freeman, Jay Cutler, Donovan McNabb). Since these numbers first started to come out from PFF and I've been tracking them, it's always seemed to me that this is very QB-driven. Some QBs get the ball out and they'll only be pressured about 25-30 percent. Others seem to like hanging onto the ball, pushing it up the field, and/or dealing with the increased pressure creatively.

If we're talking about BLITZING as interchangeable with "pressure" then I disagree with the notion that this is a problem for Ryan Mallett. He's a proven blitz beater, more so than probably any other QB in this Draft.

Right. I suppose my point is that Ryan Mallett seems to get hammered for throwing an interception against the 2 best defenses in the country, when the other quarterbacks get a free pass for throwing even worse interceptions, at even worse times, against much worse defenses. Nobody will even talk about it.

Again, Mallett has had only three games in the past 2 years where he's had multiple interceptions... Blaine Gabbert has had SEVEN 2+ interception games over that same span...while facing defenses nowhere near the caliber of SEC defenses.

If Mallett's receivers simply catch the football against Ohio St., Mallett has 4 TD passes and 0 INT's, and is probably standing on the sideline in the 4th quarter watching his backup Tyler Wilson run out the clock.

I'd be afraid to see the type of performance a quarterback like Blaine Gabbert would have against Bama's defense... or Ohio St.

The difference is Mallett's production and ability to move the ball down the field and score points more than makes up for the occassional interception. That's not necessarily the case with quite a few of the other quarterbacks in this draft.

I agree that Alabama and Ohio State were two of the best defenses in the country. Although I personally believe you can see a lot from how a guy faces Nebraska, Boston College, and Oklahoma as well. And Iowa. Not ready to toss those out and pretend they don't compare with Alabama and Ohio State. They do. But there's no doubt that some guys particularly Gabbert seem to be given a free pass versus Mallett...probably because of the character thing.

Too much is made of Mallett's performance against Bama. Three bad interceptions, no doubt about it. But otherwise he had two or three times more good plays than bad, and that was being very nitpicky with the bad plays. He needs to learn when to give up on a bad play. That's one of his most consistent problems, when he does screw up.

And I felt Mallett's Ohio State performance was about equal to Gabbert's Iowa performance, both good overall against good pass defenses. Both threw the critical interception at a bad time. Both were generally throwing the ball all over the field and throwing well for most of the game. Mallett's got a better history against better defenses. Also a better cast though.

I agree that Alabama and Ohio State were two of the best defenses in the country. Although I personally believe you can see a lot from how a guy faces Nebraska, Boston College, and Oklahoma as well. And Iowa. Not ready to toss those out and pretend they don't compare with Alabama and Ohio State. They do. But there's no doubt that some guys particularly Gabbert seem to be given a free pass versus Mallett...probably because of the character thing.

Too much is made of Mallett's performance against Bama. Three bad interceptions, no doubt about it. But otherwise he had two or three times more good plays than bad, and that was being very nitpicky with the bad plays. He needs to learn when to give up on a bad play. That's one of his most consistent problems, when he does screw up.

And I felt Mallett's Ohio State performance was about equal to Gabbert's Iowa performance, both good overall against good pass defenses. Both threw the critical interception at a bad time. Both were generally throwing the ball all over the field and throwing well for most of the game. Mallett's got a better history against better defenses. Also a better cast though.

I get the feeling that if there were no "rumours" r/e Mallett's off-the-field issues, then we would not even have the chance to "sniff" him at #15.

Every day when I see an article that questions his leadership or character, I get that warm fuzzy feeling inside

i think we are going arkansas back to back...mallett at #15 and dj williams at #79

I get the feeling that if there were no "rumours" r/e Mallett's off-the-field issues, then we would not even have the chance to "sniff" him at #15.

Every day when I see an article that questions his leadership or character, I get that warm fuzzy feeling inside

You're absolutely right. If he had a sterling character history then the Panthers would be choosing right now between Cam Newton and Ryan Mallett and I wouldn't be surprised if they chose Mallett. In fact, that would be my best guess as to where he goes. As things stand, they're INSISTING that Ryan Mallett is among the 8 players they're considering at #1 overall, and Mallett was just in Charlotte for a visit with them like 3-4 days ago.

Now on the other hand, if you're playing the hypothetical game and you supposed that both Mallett and Newton had their character histories wiped clean...that becomes a nice question, one guy or the other. Obviously I know where Slimm falls in that. I think I would go with Newton, but it would be a tough one.

i think we are going arkansas back to back...mallett at #15 and dj williams at #79

Yeah well according to all those people in the press that have never been in a huddle with Ryan Mallett, it's extremely rare to find a player that has played with Mallett and believes in him...so bring D.J. Williams on board and you've got a built in believer. :)

Yes, you can see enough from watching quarterbacks play against Nebraska (especially), Oklahoma, Boston College, and Iowa to get an evaluation, but they're not the same thing as facing Alabama's defense.

Every quarterback that has faced Bama's defense over the past 2 years usually either has their most dreadful outing of the season (or career), gets knocked out of the game... or both. You just can't say that about these other teams, it's a different test going up against Saban's Alabama defense. The physical and psychological strain on a quarterback is different.

Gabbert has NO history against good defenses other than a bad one on the rare occassion he was able to face one. Defenses that are considered "good" from the Big-12 aren't on par with the defenses from the SEC. Defenses from the B1G that are considered "good" are a little closer to what the SEC can throw at you every week... mainly only Ohio St. and Iowa. (not counting new B1G member Nebraska).

I think we've attempted to make the best case we can possibly make in order to help people realize that Ryan Mallett is not this gimme sack that people think he is. In fact, he's sacked about 1 in every 16 drop backs, whereas that beast of an athlete Cam Newton is sacked about 1 in every 12 drop backs facing the same defenses.

Blaine Gabbert is sacked less than BOTH of them, but you damn sure can't tell it by watching him play. Jake Locker is sacked more than any of them, at least he has a reason for his lack of accuracy and ability to function like an elite QB prospect from inside the pocket, without even mentioning the fact that he didn't have a checkdown option these other QB's had. His running back always had to stay in and block due to the offensive line being so poor. Locker either had to complete the pass to scrubs down the field, take off and run with it, or eat it. The checkdown option to help pad his completion percentage or take the pressure off his pathetic offensive line trying to sustain blocks wasn't there. The fact that he didn't turn the ball over more than he did considering the circumstances, and his TD/INT ratio is better than Gabbert's despite playing with an even more inferior supporting cast is a credit to him.

Gabbert's supporting cast is a lot better than Locker's, and still couldn't perform better than Locker despite both playing the same Nebraska defense twice over the past 2 years. However, Locker does have a "W" against the Huskers despite his receivers getting run out of bounds 10 yards into their route, Gabbert doesn't.

You're absolutely right. If he had a sterling character history then the Panthers would be choosing right now between Cam Newton and Ryan Mallett and I wouldn't be surprised if they chose Mallett. In fact, that would be my best guess as to where he goes. As things stand, they're INSISTING that Ryan Mallett is among the 8 players they're considering at #1 overall, and Mallett was just in Charlotte for a visit with them like 3-4 days ago.

Now on the other hand, if you're playing the hypothetical game and you supposed that both Mallett and Newton had their character histories wiped clean...that becomes a nice question, one guy or the other. Obviously I know where Slimm falls in that. I think I would go with Newton, but it would be a tough one.

CK, I have to also state my official position before we get to draft day.

I think that Mallet is the right pick for us, everything considered.

However........if he does not end up in a Fins uniform this year, I hope that he ends up a dismal failure in everything NFL-QB-related.

How is that for an "unbiased" position?

Kinda like hoping that your ex-girlfriend gets fat.

lol

I really like Mallet. One of my favorite prospects. But when I read this line I almost of reservations with the whole Henne thing. I can say the same thing about Henne that you just said about Mallet in the Alabama game. It makes me hesitate a little bit......just saying.

Back
Top Bottom