Andy Dalton | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Andy Dalton

spiketex

Aussie with the swag of El Bravo 47
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
The immediate success that the Cincinatti Bengals are enjoying with Andy Dalton as their new QB is interesting to note. He appears to have successfully transitioned from a stellar college career to the NFL without skipping a beat. He ended up being drafted in the second round because teams were wary of his lack of arm strength and coming from a weaker conference, having freckles and red hair, etc.
Dalton's immediate success is obvious, especially his natural leadership, but it also highlights our failure in QB talent evaluation, again. (OK many other teams needing a QB whiffed on this as well).
After Miami has wasted so many 2nd round draft picks on a QB (eg Pat White, Henne, Beck, Daunte Culpepper, AJ Feeley, etc), it is interesting to see another team having success in this area. Talent is out there but it needs skills to be properly evaluated. What do we need to do to improve in this area? Fire Ireland?

The immediate success that the Cincinatti Bengals are enjoying with Andy Dalton as their new QB is interesting to note. He appears to have successfully transitioned from a stellar college career to the NFL without skipping a beat. He ended up being drafted in the second round because teams were wary of his lack of arm strength and coming from a weaker conference, having freckles and red hair, etc.
Dalton's immediate success is obvious, especially his natural leadership, but it also highlights our failure in QB talent evaluation, again. (OK many other teams needing a QB whiffed on this as well).
After Miami has wasted so many 2nd round draft picks on a QB (eg Pat White, Henne, Beck, Daunte Culpepper, AJ Feeley, etc), it is interesting to see another team having success in this area. Talent is out there but it needs skills to be properly evaluated. What do we need to do to improve in this area? Fire Ireland?
Just imagine how many wins we will have next year with kellen moore hes got even more college wins than dalton

They said AD had a lack of arm strength? Wahhh da fuhhh? I see him launching that ball with ease every week...

I liked him coming out but never stated it on this board due to the arm strength question. I shouldn't have doubted him, the kids a baller.

Time to slow down this Andy Dalton love affair that is going around the league. The media and now fans of other teams are talking this guy up like he has been a good QB for the Bengals. Let's start with their schedule to date:

@ Cleveland - Won 27-17
@ Denver - Lost 22-24
vs. San Fran - Lost 8-13
vs. Buffalo - Won 23-20
@ Jax - Won 30-20
vs. Indy - Won 27-17
@ Seattle - Won 34-12
@ Tenn - Won 24-17

They have beaten one team better than .500 (Bills 5-3) and one team @ .500 (Tenn 4-4). Combined record of their other wins: 7-26.

The Bengals still play Pitt twice, Baltimore twice, and Houston. Their other 3 games are definitely winnable which just shows how bad their schedule was this year.

Now let's take a look @ Dalton's numbers:
62% Completion (good), 1696 PY (bottom 1/3 of the league), 12 TDs 7 Int - pretty solid

Dalton has been solid this year passing the ball but again, this is against some of the worst defenses in the league. I would go as far to say their defense won them more games (late defensive TDs) than Andy Dalton did. Rude awakening for this team the rest of the way.

He's good, probably will never be elite, but hindsight the way it is I'm sure many teams are regretting passing on him, including this one.

Then again most Dolphin fans don't even want good . . . they want elite . . . I just want consistent. Dalton seems consistent and has the intangibles . . . Bengals got a steal in round 2.

That being said I don't believe he has faced Pittsburgh or Bmore yet . . . the Andy Dalton story is just starting.

He's good, probably will never be elite, but hindsight the way it is I'm sure many teams are regretting passing on him, including this one.

Then again most Dolphin fans don't even want good . . . they want elite . . . I just want consistent. Dalton seems consistent and has the intangibles . . . Bengals got a steal in round 2.

That being said I don't believe he has faced Pittsburgh or Bmore yet . . . the Andy Dalton story is just starting.

Accuracy and intelligence will always overcome a stong arm when it comes to a QB.

I think the Fins would have drafted him but the Bungles got him first.
If Cam Newton had red hair and freckles he would have been a second round pick too..

Good O-line + Good running game + Good defense is the formula for a sucessful Rookie QB. Always has been. Now overtime you want to develop that rookie so that he isnt just a game Manager, but now a game CHANGER. Thats the hard part. Thats the difference between the Elite and the Good/Great QBs. Rodgers, Brees, Manning(s), Brady, Big Ben can win you games. Smith, Dalton, Ryan, Pennington, manage games. Dalton has done very well thus far and looks to have a promising career. BUT I still think Cam Newton will have a better overall career. Cam has shown he can take the team on his shoulders at times already. I cant say I have seen that with Dalton.

Good O-line + Good running game + Good defense is the formula for a sucessful Rookie QB.
That's a good recipe for any QB.

Crap O-line + Average running game + Lethargic defense = Miami Dolphins.

Throw Dalton into the current Miami mix and the team is still 1-7.

Good O-line + Good running game + Good defense is the formula for a sucessful Rookie QB. Always has been. Now overtime you want to develop that rookie so that he isnt just a game Manager, but now a game CHANGER. Thats the hard part. Thats the difference between the Elite and the Good/Great QBs. Rodgers, Brees, Manning(s), Brady, Big Ben can win you games. Smith, Dalton, Ryan, Pennington, manage games. Dalton has done very well thus far and looks to have a promising career. BUT I still think Cam Newton will have a better overall career. Cam has shown he can take the team on his shoulders at times already. I cant say I have seen that with Dalton.
Cam has more natural talent but the cracks are appearing in his emotional displays. Having never lost a game in college, he is having big time issues coping with defeat. He is increasingly petulant. The Red Rocket is looking pretty good to me.

Cam has more natural talent but the cracks are appearing in his emotional displays. Having never lost a game in college, he is having big time issues coping with defeat. He is increasingly petulant. The Red Rocket is looking pretty good to me.

Red Rocket is a really disgusting nickname.

It's amazing how good you can look when your teams wins come against teams that
are a collective 16-33.Wait till Cincinnati and Dalton face better competition

It's amazing how good you can look when your teams wins come against teams that
are a collective 16-33.Wait till Cincinnati and Dalton face better competition

True. While he is doing great so far, lets wait until he plays the Steelers and Ravens to really judge him.

Back
Top Bottom