Another Chris Mortenson Comment | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Another Chris Mortenson Comment

Justasportsfan said:
Your post was nothing but ignorant. Mularkey was never an OL coach. DuH!!!! I guarantee you he knows more about running an O than Wanny.

Shoebel is a loser? He's no JT but he's no loser. Clueless.

You might want to get a clue first about someone you are talking about just so that your posts don't look clueless.

Who cares is you have Surtain, Zach, Seau, blah,blah blah. You are comparing your D to a team that was ranked no.2 although misleading . Not bad for a unit in which half of it's starters played in their first year together.
Mularkey was NEVER an O-Line coach? How much u wanna bet? Cuz im willing to bet my whole lifes savings.
U guys call Jay Fiedler and Wanny a loser. Schobels no better at his position then Jay Fiedler. there bnoth mediocre.
U were rankled #2?? congratualtions tht means nothing! We were ahead of u on points allowed. Sorry but ill give up 500 yards on D any day aslong as they only get 3 points out of thoose yards. So dont give me tht. We were also the only team not to let up an 100 yard rusher.

So plz dont tell me im wrong and try to correct me thx.:D

Well, FinFan, in my post, just before this one, had you bothered to read it, you would have seen the facts. I'll expound on it here. Mike Mularkey did indeed coach the offensive line, his first coaching job, in 1993 in college. He did it for 1 season. Then he went to the pros. In 1994 he spent one year as a quality control assistant for Tampa Bay. I understand that position is mainly involved in breaking down film to help the coaching staff analyze how its own players are executing. Then he moved to tight ends coach, also for Tampa, in 1995. Following that, he spent five seasons as tight ends coach for the Steelers. He was named offensive coordinator in 2001, holding that position three years before coming to Buffalo after the 2003 season. This is from the biographical sketch at: http://www.buffalobills.com/team/index.cfm?show_right_rail=no&cont_id=224466

Tight end is actually a pretty good background for a head coach. He is exposed both to blocking like a lineman and the intricasies of the passing game. Many tight ends are very bright guys, and more than one have been coaches in the NFL. It's true that Wannstedt has been in coaching for a much longer time than Mularkey. Experience has some value, now doubt, but everyone has to start somewhere. Wannstedt got a head start, of course, because he did not play professional football. Mularkey had a nine year career. At least the Buffalo players think there is a benefit to the fact that he actually played professionally.

Also, if you'd read my post, you'd know that Aaron Schobel had 11.5 sacks in 2003, enough to tie him for ninth in the league. There are 64 starting defensive ends in the league. I'd say ninth place is pretty good. Jason Taylor didn't have 11.5 sacks in his third season. He had 2.5. Michael Strahan didn't have 11.5 sacks in his third season. He had 7.5. Mike Rucker had 9. Yes, there have been a few DEs that had success early, including Ogunleye, who was also in his third season last year, but statistics say you're wrong about Schobel. He is a lot better than mediocre. By the way for comparison purposes, Jay Fiedler is not ninth in anything and he only has to compete against 31 other starting QBs. His best showing is 15th in fewest interceptions thrown. He ranks 25th in total passing yards and touchdown passes, and 23rd in passer rating. As you say, that is true mediocrity.

TigerJ said:
Well, FinFan, in my post, just before this one, had you bothered to read it, you would have seen the facts. I'll expound on it here. Mike Mularkey did indeed coach the offensive line, his first coaching job, in 1993 in college. He did it for 1 season. Then he went to the pros. In 1994 he spent one year as a quality control assistant for Tampa Bay. I understand that position is mainly involved in breaking down film to help the coaching staff analyze how its own players are executing. Then he moved to tight ends coach, also for Tampa, in 1995. Following that, he spent five seasons as tight ends coach for the Steelers. He was named offensive coordinator in 2001, holding that position three years before coming to Buffalo after the 2003 season. This is from the biographical sketch at: http://www.buffalobills.com/team/index.cfm?show_right_rail=no&cont_id=224466

Tight end is actually a pretty good background for a head coach. He is exposed both to blocking like a lineman and the intricasies of the passing game. Many tight ends are very bright guys, and more than one have been coaches in the NFL. It's true that Wannstedt has been in coaching for a much longer time than Mularkey. Experience has some value, now doubt, but everyone has to start somewhere. Wannstedt got a head start, of course, because he did not play professional football. Mularkey had a nine year career. At least the Buffalo players think there is a benefit to the fact that he actually played professionally.

Also, if you'd read my post, you'd know that Aaron Schobel had 11.5 sacks in 2003, enough to tie him for ninth in the league. There are 64 starting defensive ends in the league. I'd say ninth place is pretty good. Jason Taylor didn't have 11.5 sacks in his third season. He had 2.5. Michael Strahan didn't have 11.5 sacks in his third season. He had 7.5. Mike Rucker had 9. Yes, there have been a few DEs that had success early, including Ogunleye, who was also in his third season last year, but statistics say you're wrong about Schobel. He is a lot better than mediocre. By the way for comparison purposes, Jay Fiedler is not ninth in anything and he only has to compete against 31 other starting QBs. His best showing is 15th in fewest interceptions thrown. He ranks 25th in total passing yards and touchdown passes, and 23rd in passer rating. As you say, that is true mediocrity.
OK, you do make a good argument for Schobel. However, ur mularkey rant made no sense too me at all. What was the point of you writting all that. IM THE ONE WHO SAID HE WAS AN OLINE COACH. Your fellow bills fan disagreed with me. Schobel mite of had a pretty good year, but im not sold at all. Me being a tru NFL fan, i dont base skill fully on stats. Schobels had one good year, but all the games ive seen him he wasnt terribly impressive. I see 8-9 sacks as mediocre. personally thts wut i see hgim getting more often.

TigerJ said:

OK, your saying TE coach is a good background to be a head coach. Then wouldnt th make it very qualified for OC? Cuz ur fellow Bills fan was making fun of the fact our OC was a TE coach, and i said thts not a big deal. Your arguing half of ur argumentts against the bills fan, not me.

The point was the facts are available, and I mentioned them on an earlier post.

I went back and looked at CABillsFan's post about your OC being a TE coach. I think it was probably a reference that he was expected to be your TE coach this season and had to step in as OC when your OC cited health reasons for stepping down. I would agree that being a TE coach is no disqualification for being an OC. That, after all, was the route Mularkey took. The question is can your new OC come in and do a good job when the system the team has said it's going to use is one he inherited from a former OC who's no longer there, when your OC is new to the team this year and has never been involved with that system before? He may do a fine job, but it's certainly going to be interesting to watch.

Frankly, I'm not much into smack. I really am just trying to keep everyone honest when it comes to the facts, including my fellow Bills fans. We can argue opinions 'til we're blue in the face, but facts are facts.

So were you trying to lure my Bills fan colleagues into an easy bet? LOL

Mort was right about the Dolphins last year. When everyone else was drooling over them he said they were overrated. Last years team had a good record but when the played playoff competition they showed they were substandard. There's no excuse for losing to NE and Indy they way they did. And Zack was quoted as saying Phili is a better team than the Dolphins after that loss.

TigerJ said:
The point was the facts are available, and I mentioned them on an earlier post.

I went back and looked at CABillsFan's post about your OC being a TE coach. I think it was probably a reference that he was expected to be your TE coach this season and had to step in as OC when your OC cited health reasons for stepping down. I would agree that being a TE coach is no disqualification for being an OC. That, after all, was the route Mularkey took. The question is can your new OC come in and do a good job when the system the team has said it's going to use is one he inherited from a former OC who's no longer there, when your OC is new to the team this year and has never been involved with that system before? He may do a fine job, but it's certainly going to be interesting to watch.

Frankly, I'm not much into smack. I really am just trying to keep everyone honest when it comes to the facts, including my fellow Bills fans. We can argue opinions 'til we're blue in the face, but facts are facts.

So were you trying to lure my Bills fan colleagues into an easy bet? LOL
LOL, yes, yes i was. O well no hard feelings intended, i too dont feel like talkin smack. Always good to have intellegent convos wit diffrent perspectives:goof: .

Back
Top Bottom