Another Chris Mortenson Comment | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Another Chris Mortenson Comment

nyjunc said:
Why is it every year the media goes gaga over the Bills? Do they realize Drew Bledsoe isn't leading a team anywhere? it just amazes me. :confused:
I agree. I'm so sick of hearing how great this guy is and all the excuses for him(wrong system, surrounding talent, etc.) The fact is New England was a doormat for most of his time there and exploded as soon as he went down. He showed promise initially with Buffalo until we exposed his weakness- pressure. Thereafter, every team he played game-planned him that way (blitzes, etc.) and he was never able to do anything. Throwing accurate, strong throws is impressive, but there are a lot of qb's on the scrap heap that could do it in shorts but not in a game. Honestly, I'm more comfortable with Jay/A.J. than I would be with Drew. He's never won consistently enough to garner all the accolades he gets.

AquaAssasin said:
yeah but you have to consider they have a new coach...All of a sudden the Bills have a new coach and now they are in the playoffs.

I smell crack!!!!!!!!!
Mularkey is not expected to overhaul an entire team but simply fix what is broken and that would be the O. He took over Gilbride in Pitts and made it the no.1 running team and top 5 O in the next year. His schemes have also helped the likes of Maddox and Kordell become probowl qb's. Imagine what the bills O will be if he can fix Drew as well. He even aquired Mcnally and Wyche for that sole purpose.

Moulds, Henry, Reed, Evans are not bad weapons to have. We also drafted the best catching TE in this years draft. Who knows what Mcgahee can do?

Imagine what the bills O will be if he can fix Drew as well.
Its simple. You fix the OL and you fix Drew, kind of. I'm not buying this attempt at short drops to get rid of the ball. Sounds good in theory, but Drew is poor at the mental processing that is required to make good, quick decisions. He needs time to drop back 7, and find an open receiver. You give him this, he can pick you apart.

Good luck with Drew, you'll need it. You might be better hoping that Losman is ready sooner than later.

Mort looked like a fool last year predicting Miami to beat NE as his lock of the week on the espn pre-game show. Looks like he's finally caught on to the fact that Miami are not what they have been made out to be in recent years.

FlyingElvis said:
Its simple. You fix the OL and you fix Drew, kind of. I'm not buying this attempt at short drops to get rid of the ball. Sounds good in theory, but Drew is poor at the mental processing that is required to make good, quick decisions. He needs time to drop back 7, and find an open receiver. You give him this, he can pick you apart.

Good luck with Drew, you'll need it. You might be better hoping that Losman is ready sooner than later.
True. Expecting Drew Bledsoe to run a "dynamic" ball control offense is like cramming an 8-track into a CD player and expecting it to play. You're more likely to see the Olson Twins in an issue of Playboy or a Three's Company reunion than a "dynamic" Drew Bledsoe. A ball control offense requires something that Bledsoe doesn't possess: a brain. Its a large, fleshy organ responsible for thought, decision making, various voluntary and involuntary functions, and so forth. Quick decisions, hot reads, game management, low sacks, and other rudimentary football smarts characterize a successful QB in a ball control offense. The first thing you'll notice about these traits is that Drew Bledsoe possesses none of them. In fact, the last time Bledsoe flashed any promise to execute a single facet of a ball control offense harkens back to the days when a band named Gin Blossoms topped adult contemporary and a cloth known as flannel was still popular.

FlyingElvis said:
I believe the way the Bills are attempting to solve this is to go to more 3 and 5 step drops. Instead of the 7 step drops he's used to with Gilbride's system. Get rid of the ball faster. Sounds good, except the problem with this is, its not well suited to Bledsoe's talent. He just does not read defenses all that well or quickly.

That's why he was traded within the division.

Justasportsfan said:
Mularkey is not expected to overhaul an entire team but simply fix what is broken and that would be the O. He took over Gilbride in Pitts and made it the no.1 running team and top 5 O in the next year. His schemes have also helped the likes of Maddox and Kordell become probowl qb's. Imagine what the bills O will be if he can fix Drew as well. He even aquired Mcnally and Wyche for that sole purpose.

Moulds, Henry, Reed, Evans are not bad weapons to have. We also drafted the best catching TE in this years draft. Who knows what Mcgahee can do?
kordell nor maddox were any good...the proof is in the pudding...the team and the system was in place. now being a head coach and an offensive coordinator are different. Its a whole new ball game....

Simpleton said:
Mort looked like a fool last year predicting Miami to beat NE as his lock of the week on the espn pre-game show. Looks like he's finally caught on to the fact that Miami are not what they have been made out to be in recent years.
trying to start a flame war? you troll!

lol said:
True. Expecting Drew Bledsoe to run a "dynamic" ball control offense is like cramming an 8-track into a CD player and expecting it to play. You're more likely to see the Olson Twins in an issue of Playboy or a Three's Company reunion than a "dynamic" Drew Bledsoe. A ball control offense requires something that Bledsoe doesn't possess: a brain. Its a large, fleshy organ responsible for thought, decision making, various voluntary and involuntary functions, and so forth. Quick decisions, hot reads, game management, low sacks, and other rudimentary football smarts characterize a successful QB in a ball control offense. The first thing you'll notice about these traits is that Drew Bledsoe possesses none of them. In fact, the last time Bledsoe flashed any promise to execute a single facet of a ball control offense harkens back to the days when a band named Gin Blossoms topped adult contemporary and a cloth known as flannel was still popular.
...wait,wait,wait, the Olson Twins are in Playboy?:thewave: :D !

Justasportsfan said:
:lol: Thanks for the laughs.
Wow, tht was beautiful. Your insightful post sparked many deep thoughts on the subject. I love how your rebutle was jampaked full of facts. I dont think this site is good enough for you, your posts overshadow everyone elses with its brilliance:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: !

NLude33 said:
espn-1.gif
Chris Mortensen: (12:31 PM ET ) I see the Bills as playoff team

The Buffalo Bills?
:roflmao:

AquaAssasin said:
trying to start a flame war? you troll!

Just a joke :D More of a dig at Mort than at the Dolphins, who I expect to be challenging Pats for the East title.

FlyingElvis said:

Committing to the run will get the ball away from Drew.

FinFan24 said:
Wow, tht was beautiful. Your insightful post sparked many deep thoughts on the subject. I love how your rebutle was jampaked full of facts. I dont think this site is good enough for you, your posts overshadow everyone elses with its brilliance:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: !
Your post was nothing but ignorant. Mularkey was never an OL coach. DuH!!!! I guarantee you he knows more about running an O than Wanny.

Shoebel is a loser? He's no JT but he's no loser. Clueless.

You might want to get a clue first about someone you are talking about just so that your posts don't look clueless.

Who cares is you have Surtain, Zach, Seau, blah,blah blah. You are comparing your D to a team that was ranked no.2 although misleading . Not bad for a unit in which half of it's starters played in their first year together.

Here are some facts to refute some of the misinformation flying around this thread.

Aaron Schobel is not the tight end (Bo), who I think plays for Cincinnati. He had 11.5 sacks last season, which isn't too shabby. No, it's not the 15 and 13 Ogunleye and Taylor had, but it ties for ninth in the league last season. Of those who who ranked ahead of him last season, Only Terrell Suggs, Simeon Rice, and Ogunleye had more sacks in a single season (both as rookies) by their third deason than Schobel.

"60 year old" Curtis Martin had 1308 yards rushing last season and 262 yards receiving. He's not going to last forever, but it may be too early to assume a steep decline in effectiveness yet.

Mike Mularkey was an offensive line coach for one season in the college ranks. He played tight end in the league and has been a tight end coach and most recently had three years as an offensive coordinator. There is sufficient precedent for tight ends and tight end coaches becoming head coaches in the NFL, including Mike Ditka and Mike Tice.

Despite the insistence on the part of some people that the crux of Buffalo's change on offence is tied to 3 and 5 step drops, there is no evidence to indicate that is so. No coach has ever said so. Drew Bledsoe has never said so. Here is a link to an article on BuffaloBills.com that talks about changes in the offensive scheme. Can anyone find a mention in that article of 3 and 5 step drops? It's not there. Bledsoe says the offence reduces the number of decisions receivers (and by simple deduction quarterbacks) have to make. If Drew's main problem has been making fast enough reads, then this is exactly the right approach to address it and is exactly suited to Bledsoe's abilities.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/index.cfm?cont_id=249149

Is it really so difficult to keep our facts straight?

Back
Top Bottom