Any Chance We Move To A 3-4? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Any Chance We Move To A 3-4?

If we do switch to a 34 polite at 13 becomes very possible to me as a wolb add.
I think the chances of us taking a LB in rd 1 is somewhere between slim, and none. We are far worse off on the line.

I think the chances of us taking a LB in rd 1 is somewhere between slim, and none. We are far worse off on the line.

Olb pass rusher. I see it as just as likely as a 43 de one would be if we ran a 43. As in very.

Premium positions premium draft value

They talked about prioritizing the lines first, which I wholeheartedly agree with.

Dolphins pick Dexter Lawrence at 13. Then trade Godchaux for a pick on draft day, if it truly is a base 3-4 they are running. They can't move Godchaux until they know they have a bona fide NT. Godchaux is a great football player and is still very young and under contract for peanuts. He should have very good trade value.

Godchaux doesn't really fit in a base 3-4 other than potentially as an early down run stuffing 5-tech. Dolphins would be better off getting a pick and drafting a more prototypical 3-4 DE pass rusher or trading for a starting caliber OG.

If the Phins do not switch to a 3-4 Hybrid, they are doomed. Pressure up the middle to make TB feel rushed, forcing the Pats newly minted running game outside, instead of between the "guards", also the ability to have the ability to switch to the hyper dime, nickle, and whatever is smaller than a dime, to slow down the high scoring offenses. Remember this team has to build to beat the Patsies, and worry about the rest of the NFL as they play them. Here is the formula, win the division, win home field advantage, win the by week.

I am not talking about the Patriots bend but don't break defense, with that kind of defense a team has to have Brady or Mahomes, and do everything they can to be the last one who scores. The Defense I am thinking about is one that is aggressive in closing the middle, and forcing the opposing offense to deal with quick, agile, Olb's and Safeties on the outside run.

As far as finding a quality Nose Tackle, Dexter Lawrence will be there in the draft, and if you have a 4-3 a top Mlb, like Zach, or RayRay, is essential, and not that easy to find either. Seeing as Lawrence will be there and the switch to 3-4 is a no brainier and next years QB class is Great, it is a given that Miami will over reach and pick the QB from Duke, you watch, I just know it.

The Ever Cynical VIPER

The defense needs retooled anyways ...

I like 34 defenses or a hybrid of some sort... just do something

I hope they just reshape it all and take the couple off seasons to get it right

Don’t force something just bc of what’s in house

If the Phins do not switch to a 3-4 Hybrid, they are doomed. Pressure up the middle to make TB feel rushed, forcing the Pats newly minted running game outside, instead of between the "guards", also the ability to have the ability to switch to the hyper dime, nickle, and whatever is smaller than a dime, to slow down the high scoring offenses. Remember this team has to build to beat the Patsies, and worry about the rest of the NFL as they play them. Here is the formula, win the division, win home field advantage, win the by week.

Under Nolan, Miami's defense was Top 5 against the run. And, they were one of the few defenses in the league able to slow down Brady and his offense. The ONLY reason that Sparano's team didn't consistently beat out the Pats for the Division Title is because the Front Office refused to spend high draft picks on offensive skill position players. They had the defense, but a lack of talent on the offense kept them from scoring enough points. Far too often, Miami's defense would do great against "elite" teams, but their offense had to settle for FGs instead of TDs and they'd lose.

If Ross had only immediately replaced Ireland with someone who could recognize offensive talent. Give that team a big dose of talent at the skill positions while keeping the same defensive scheme, and they'd be at the top of the division every year... not the Pats! This is why I've HATED what Ross has done to the team. The Philbin hiring not only changed and ruined a good defense, but Philbin's offensive philosophy turned out to be even worse than what they ran under Sparano, and Philbin even had more talented skill position players on offense! Gase then continued what Philbin had started.

If Ross wants an answer as to why his team sucks, he just needs to look in the mirror. Instead of adding offensive talent to a good defense, he decided to completely change everything and ran the team right down the toilet.

Dolphins pick Dexter Lawrence at 13.

I was thinking about this rumored and potential move to a 34 and needing the anchor for it. Lawrence is certainly one option. But might his teammate Christian Wilkins be a better selection? I say that not knowing whether Wilkins can play a 34 2-gap nose. But he has the size for it. Word I've read is that Lawrence needs to play at the next level 20-30 pounds lighter than he is now to be most effective. IDK whether or not he can be counted on for that. Plus there's the red flag drug suspension.

If Wilkins isn't a fit in the 34, then perhaps Ed Oliver would be the best choice should he still be available?

If only the Phins could somehow get their hands on Quinnen Williams ..... perhaps they could get him to wear a gas mask the night before the draft! I think that kid could play anywhere and in any scheme.

Well, in fairness, that was against the chiefs.

NE has the ability to change up defensive scheme week to week, or even within a game, depending on opponent.

I do think the league is moving towards more nickel/dime in general.

Patriots led the league in DB usage in 2017. I'm not able to find the stats for 2018, but I feel pretty confident they're in the top few teams again.

That's very interesting. Might look at CB earlier than expected.

Outside of QB, OL, Pass Rusher/Pass-rushing DT, and DB are Miami's clear needs. Unless the value is just too good to pass up, I don't see Miami considering a LB on Day 1 or 2.

Of these groups, they're strongest at DB, but there is still a lot of room for improvement.

I wonder if we might look at any free agents to potentially be around for awhile, a low / mid range budget option at corner or maybe the DL

If when we clear up some cap space, i could see us trying to bring trey flowers in. He spoke highly of flores if i recall, and he’s a pretty good versatile DE

Outside of QB, OL, Pass Rusher/Pass-rushing DT, and DB are Miami's clear needs. Unless the value is just too good to pass up, I don't see Miami considering a LB on Day 1 or 2.

Of these groups, they're strongest at DB, but there is still a lot of room for improvement.
Also, would need bigger defensive ends if the team goes to a 3-4. Doesn't NE kind of morph between a 3-4 and a 4-3?

Back
Top Bottom