Any change in Tua/OC's game? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Any change in Tua/OC's game?

I believe his aggressive percentage is the most telling. And although that is one of the stats with massive influence from WR...I see that percentage actually higher by year end

Wasn't Tua criticized last year for hesitating with his throws because everyone said an open WR in the NFL is not the same as an open WR in college? Then at the beginning of camp when he had all those picks? I would guess and say he is definitely trying to tighten up the window, and Grier is also trying to help him out with WRs like Waddle that naturally get a lot of separation. It will be interesting to see how Tua's instincts progress as the season goes along and he develops better chemistry and trust with his WRs and TEs. :-)

• AGG%: 25.9%(4th) compared to 20.3% last year. Now this stat is easy to misinterpret because it involves alot of moving parts, the willingness of a QB to throw into tight windows and the ability of the receiving options to gain separation on any given play. Was kind of surprised to see this as I thought the fact the Fins added alot of wiggle in the receiving room might lower the number of hard throws the QB had to make this year. Either the new additions arent created as much separation as hoped or Tua has grown more comfortable with tight windows.

I was surprised there wasn't more of the RPO. Parker showed last season he was pretty good at running that slant and it was really the only time I saw him getting separation. The only open easy throws I saw Tua making were things that were designed as those quick hitters to Waddle.

If Tua can get more time maybe that encourages him to look Wilson's way more often and he is the other one that has shown the ability to get some separation downfield.

I was surprised there wasn't more of the RPO. Parker showed last season he was pretty good at running that slant and it was really the only time I saw him getting separation. The only open easy throws I saw Tua making were things that were designed as those quick hitters to Waddle.

If Tua can get more time maybe that encourages him to look Wilson's way more often and he is the other one that has shown the ability to get some separation downfield.
Wilson has constatly been in the top 5 at SEP... Actually finished 1st one season iirc.

Flores seems clueless on what to do with the offensive side of the football. Musical chairs with the OCs and musical chairs with the quarterbacks including in this last game. Needs to wake up and start making decisions instead of all the wishy-washiness that’s gone on under his tenure.

I'm not saying if it was by design or not, but Mack Jones was clearly making one read, making the throw or checking down. Tua' s eyes definitely went to 2 or 3 receivers on several occasions. He was clearly trying to go down field more where as Jones was being safe and it showed in the number of completions.

Flores seems clueless on what to do with the offensive side of the football. Musical chairs with the OCs and musical chairs with the quarterbacks including in this last game. Needs to wake up and start making decisions instead of all the wishy-washiness that’s gone on under his tenure.
I’m not sure about clueless, but I can agree, to some extent, with what you said here.

I don’t have a problem with some RPO, I just wouldn’t want it to be the main staple of the offense.

The offense was brilliant on the opening drive. These are the plays they generally practice and script for the game. Tua looked good on this drive and the offense seemed unstoppable. The problem is the remaining portion of the game when improvisation, pressure and the scoreboard force the game out of rhythm. This is when Tua looks his weakest.

Something Tua admitted to last season, was that he didn’t have a full grasp of the playbook. Since we don’t know how much of the playbook is fresh this year, perhaps he struggles a bit with confidence in knowing the playbook thoroughly at this point in the season. Perhaps as his command of the new offense increases, we will see less happy feet and greater decisiveness when things are forced off script. This should lead to greater consistency, which is a hallmark of good quarterbacking.

Awesome. Thank you for the information. I know it's just one game, but very encouraging numbers. I think we'll see Waddle's targets go up.

How do you see Buffalo approaching/attacking Miami's offense.

I respectfully disagree. Just because they aren't necessarily doing what we want them to do, doesn't make them as clueless as some people think they are. I would say there are many factors involved when it comes to hiring and/or promoting coaches. One being, that although Flores has proven to be a good coach to many of us, he is still a relatively young coach who is still trying to prove himself and get established. Many seasoned coaches will probably avoid leaving the position they are in for a situation unknown. If Flores has another good year this year and his tenure seems more like it will be long-term, I would guess that some better coaches will become available.

Also, as for Flores and his understanding of the offensive side of the ball, I am perfectly okay with him doing a few things. 1) Continue to influence and establish a kickass defense. 2) Continue his private lessons with Tua and help him fully understand defenses and what they are trying to do with him. 3) Other than providing general guidance and philosophy on our strategy, 1) and 2) are enough. Stay out of the way and let the offensive coordinators handle the majority of what we are trying to do on offense.

Last edited:
I'm not saying if it was by design or not, but Mack Jones was clearly making one read, making the throw or checking down. Tua' s eyes definitely went to 2 or 3 receivers on several occasions. He was clearly trying to go down field more where as Jones was being safe and it showed in the number of completions.
Probably a good strategy for Jones first game out.

I thought Tua played well.

Awesome. Thank you for the information. I know it's just one game, but very encouraging numbers. I think we'll see Waddle's targets go up.

How do you see Buffalo approaching/attacking Miami's offense.
They sure as hell should test if they can create pressure without blitzing.

If they can, I simply wouldnt load the box turning most RPOs into runs which would play right into their hands. Hard to say if the Fins will maintain their stance on a ~50/50 run/pass ratio on 1st down at home but if they do, and still get around 3.8 yards per attempt like they did vs NE, well the Bills will take that every single time. By comparison, the Fins were getting 9.1 yards per attempt passing on 1st down, but still opted to run more than pass on that down.

So yeah, dont send extra pressure and see if the Fins still try to run most of the time on 1st down, if they do, just let the Fins try and win a close game which plays in your favor big time.

I also think the offense we see for the next few games won't be the same offense we see by week 6 or so on. We have the soldiers to form one hell of a strike force unit.
Miami has the offensive weapons to light up the scoreboard... but will this o-line allow that to happen?

Back
Top Bottom