Any word on Igbinoghene?? | Page 13 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Any word on Igbinoghene??

Go nuts with my opinions?.....lol......I'm the first one to always say that the FO/HC don't care about my opinion. It's just an opinion but trust me, I don't take this stuff to heart and neither should you. It's only a sport.

"It's just an opinion but trust me, I don't take this stuff to heart and neither should you. It's only a sport."

Are you talking about football or being a football fan?

"It's just an opinion but trust me, I don't take this stuff to heart and neither should you. It's only a sport."

Are you talking about football or being a football fan?
being a fan......football is something I love but is not live or death. There are more important things in life.

They reached. KC had the right idea of taking the best RB. You can see how bad phins need a quality RB

People crack me up with these threads. You can’t evaluate the draft in hindsight. If anything, Hunt was the more questionable pick at the time given the fact Jonathan Taylor and JK Dobbins were still available. Igbinoghene was rated an early to mid 2nd round prospect; drafting him 30th wasn’t even a reach. The reality is X had missed like 65% of the games in his career due to injury at that point and we needed back up insurance. I’d rather have X at All-Pro form and the kid (who was the 3rd youngest player drafted) playing on special teams than have a RB with an OL that can’t block and X on IR. Sometimes you plan for the worst case scenario and the exact opposite happens.

People crack me up with these threads. You can’t evaluate the draft in hindsight. If anything, Hunt was the more questionable pick at the time given the fact Jonathan Taylor and JK Dobbins were still available. Igbinoghene was rated an early to mid 2nd round prospect; drafting him 30th wasn’t even a reach. The reality is X had missed like 65% of the games in his career due to injury at that point and we needed back up insurance. I’d rather have X at All-Pro form and the kid (who was the 3rd youngest player drafted) playing on special teams than have a RB with an OL that can’t block and X on IR. Sometimes you plan for the worst case scenario and the exact opposite happens.
Agreed on the fact that Hunt may end up being the more questionable pick, but not really with the idea that we should have been thinking RB there.

The book on Hunt was that he might make an adequate RT, but RG was a more realistic option. ...and even though I desperately wanted a trench draft (and got one), I did wonder if a tweener guy like Hunt might be a bit over-drafted... then Kindley fell into the 4th, and I thought... yup, Hunt was a bit of a push.

Agreed on the fact that Hunt may end up being the more questionable pick, but not really with the idea that we should have been thinking RB there.

The book on Hunt was that he might make an adequate RT, but RG was a more realistic option. ...and even though I desperately wanted a trench draft (and got one), I did wonder if a tweener guy like Hunt might be a bit over-drafted... then Kindley fell into the 4th, and I thought... yup, Hunt was a bit of a push.
The RB example only came about because that seemed like the position people were complaining about passing on the most. We needed to address the OL. Drafting Hunt to play RT at 39 was definitely a reach. The only player drafted between 39 and 56 that really stands out to me is Chase Claypool. I wanted to see a day one or two WR. Was really hoping the Cowboys didn’t draft Lamb at 17. Think we could have taken Lamb at 18 and gotten Jackson at 24 no issue.

Miami right now has one of the better secondaries in football without forcing their rookie 1st round pick to have to perform.

There is talent there, but no reason to have to force Igbinoghene in positions where he might fail.

Bring along slowly, let him learn, feel more comfortable, and hopefully by next year, we have another player that can be good, to possibly special.

The RB example only came about because that seemed like the position people were complaining about passing on the most. We needed to address the OL. Drafting Hunt to play RT at 39 was definitely a reach. The only player drafted between 39 and 56 that really stands out to me is Chase Claypool. I wanted to see a day one or two WR. Was really hoping the Cowboys didn’t draft Lamb at 17. Think we could have taken Lamb at 18 and gotten Jackson at 24 no issue.
Well... dont get me wrong. I have far from given up on Mr. Hunt. Indeed, I still have high hopes for him. It's just that I see Iggy as a high ceiling, worth a risk, pick... and Hunt... not so much.

In no world was Iggy BPA, there was no value there. In terms of need, there were a ton of better secondary prospects ahead of him on most folks's board including Gladney, Johnson, Fulton, Diggs who went later along with Winfield, Dugger, Chin and McKinney at saftey. There were no indications X was going to be a long term injury, he would not have been place on IR if the season mattered like it does this year.

It was a bad pick whichever way you look at it, first rounders should contribute early on, what we can see from the early games this season with Noah is probably not going to be ready next season, as he wasn't even close to being at an acceptable level when he was in the games and now is getting zero play time. 3 years to get return from your investment is not what you need to see if you spend a first rounder on a player. They surely saw tis rawness in him but somehow felt the need to over draft him, if we had gotten him at the bottom of the 2nd then fair enough, that was probably his value but to take him in the first was just stupid.
Imo the draft isn’t about picking players who can help you right away, it’s about who will become the best football player.

Book is not finished .

Well... dont get me wrong. I have far from given up on Mr. Hunt. Indeed, I still have high hopes for him. It's just that I see Iggy as a high ceiling, worth a risk, pick... and Hunt... not so much.
To clarify, I have no issue with either player. I was just pointing out that Hunt was more of a reach than Igbinoghene at the time given the information available to teams. Personally, I think we need to move Hunt to RG and Kindley to LG (where he had a lot of success at Georgia). Obviously it’s not really an option given who we have now, but it’s the move I’d make for next season. Draft Humphrey and let Davis/Flowers duke it out at RT in 2021. Only reason I say that is we probably can’t get out of either of their contacts until the following season.

To clarify, I have no issue with either player. I was just pointing out that Hunt was more of a reach than Igbinoghene at the time given the information available to teams. Personally, I think we need to move Hunt to RG and Kindley to LG (where he had a lot of success at Georgia). Obviously it’s not really an option given who we have now, but it’s the move I’d make for next season. Draft Humphrey and let Davis/Flowers duke it out at RT in 2021. Only reason I say that is we probably can’t get out of either of their contacts until the following season.
I've been quite open about my preference for drafting a Right Tackle before drafting a Center, but your way could work as well.

Currently, my plan would be to keep Flowers and Jackson in place for one more year. Let Hunt and Kindley battle for the RG job with the loser becoming our Guard back up. Draft and play a true Right tackle who has played there-- my pick, Abraham Lucas. The Center spot? I'm pretty open here.

I agree Claypool is the option that stands out where Hunt was picked. Also the first round scenario you mentioned. Once it reached the Dallas pick the one guy I hoped they would bypass was Lamb. That Texas game in 2019 was full evidence of how special he is.

Wide receiver versus cornerback is so combative these days that you really need a receiver who stands out to the extreme either in physical gifts, or shifty and clever. Metcalf/Claypool are examples of the former and Lamb the latter.

Noah is currently the lowest rated cornerback in the league by PFF, and one of the lowest rated players period. Only a handful of linebackers have lower numbers. A member of a different site posted the Top 6 and Bottom 6 at each position the other day:

I hope Noah is using the time on the bench to study Howard and how instinctive he is in turning to find the ball. The Dolphins have the top rated cornerback in the league according to PFF and also the lowest rated. The primary difference is not only experience but that ability to find the football. If Howard didn't turn and look those passes would be plucked over his head time and again. College cornerbacks have greater luxury in facing the receiver because nothing is as sophisticated. The ball doesn't always target the open receiver. The passes are not as accurate. The receivers are not as skilled in shielding or subtle hand fighting, or disguising matters and reaching for the ball at the last second.

But all of those variables change for the worse in the NFL. As soon as I saw Noah at Auburn my two concerns with him was that he was never instinctive toward looking for the football, and in particular that flaw showed up in the red zone. Now that he's with the Dolphins I can see he is wonderfully competitive. That aspect gives him a chance to overcome his flaws. However, he does play even shorter than his height, due to a hunched over tendency when the ball arrives.

Major work in progress. They need to find the best vehicle for that competitiveness to come to forefront. Maybe as slot corner. He should also work on maximizing the 5-yard jam. I don't like Noah backed off the line.

Back
Top Bottom