Anybody hear from Muck | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Anybody hear from Muck

This was a bad one

I'm fine. We barely even got wind here in Tampa. It was dark and it rained a bit in the morning (my favorite kind of weather). The afternoon was just beautiful.

However, my family got the worst of it. They're in Clewiston, my hometown. It's about 3 hours southeast of Tampa. About an hour northwest of Ft. Lauderdale. They were on the edge of the eye the entire time. They got the front, top, and back edges of the eye....but never the eye itself. So there was never a break in the action.

I talked to my brother (Trackstar) just now (landlines don't need electricity). Our town got destroyed. Said it's pretty surreal. Everything got flattened and the debris is everywhere. Lots of people lost everything.

They've been told it'll be a minimum two weeks before they get electricity. Right now, it's absolutely pitch black outside. There's a 6pm-6am curfew for the county. The National Guard is already there. Obviously nobody can work or do anything. Stores won't be open for a long time. And most people don't have a lot of money. So food and water are going to be in great demand.

Sugar cane and citrus are the dominant industries down there. So the migrant population is considerable. My brother said they drove down to those areas of town afterwards. And there were so many people.....families, adults, children, etc. just sitting on the ground crying. Other people were just walking around aimlessly, in shock. Most of them had evacuated and returned to find that everything was gone. They've lost everything.

Our town is right on the south banks of Lake Okeechobee. The entire town used to be sugar cane fields (way back when). So there are canals everywhere. The water district drained every canal until it was bone dry in the days leading up. But the canals and the streets still became one big body of water during the storm.

Fortunately, the drainage is excellent around there. So the water in the streets is going down fast. And the dyke that protects the surrounding land from the Lake had zero problems handling the storm.

At our house, all the trees in our yard were uprooted. One fell on my dad's truck. All the shingles on our roof are gone (they're in the yard). There's a pretty bad leak in one part of the house. Of course, there's debris and things of that nature everywhere. Most of the houses on our block are still standing, but nothing else. It's like somebody came and just cleared everything out. My brother said it's almost unrecognizable.

Luckily, my dad is good at what he does (building things). So our house stood up better than most. Even the aluminum roof to our patio/deck withstood. Actually, most buildings/structures he's built around town withstood the storm.

My brother said they watched the trees just come out of the ground in our yard. They watched big pieces of metal just fly down the street. The wind was so loud. And it rained so hard they could only see out of one window in the house.

We were lucky though. The storm moved fast. And it was only a CAT 3 instead of the CAT 5 it was in Mexico. My family is fine. Our house is ok. And we've got a couple of big generators. We're a lot more fortunate than the thousands who are now homeless and had very little to begin with in our town. My heart goes out to them. I'm truly sorry. Especially when it's "home".

My brother said it's going to be a long time before things get back to normal. I wish I was there right now to see it and help out.

Sorry to hear about all the damage Muck,but glad to hear your family is ok.I have know idea what a Hurricane is like to experiance(could only imagine) living the SoCal all my life.

I got about thirty mins of Eye so I know about the "in it the whole time" thing. For us the backside was much worse and the flying debris from the trailor park upwind gave me plenty to wory about. My van took a shot from a piece of someones roof but it did not break the window, just dented it. I had a cabbage palm ten feet away snap about ten feet up and the crown fell down the river bank. Why it didn't snap and fall onto the house sooner is a mystery. I had much to do after the storm removing water from the house, I pulled about twenty gallons out of the house. That my walls are beadboard and not drywall saved me there. All in all, we got hit pretty good, thank goodness it was a fast mover. I got hardly any storm surge as the brunt of the east winds arrived at low tide. I got lucky, some didn't.

painnotpleasure said:
If anybody hears anything, keep us updated. My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone here at FinHeaven and all the people living in Florida. Hope everything is okay...

Amen. Stay safe down there guys!!

cnc66 said:
I got about thirty mins of Eye so I know about the "in it the whole time" thing. For us the backside was much worse and the flying debris from the trailor park upwind gave me plenty to wory about.

You're absolutely right.

When I spoke to my folks this morning (about 8am), they were told the worst was about an hour away. In truth, the worst came hours later when the backside hit.

Glad to hear you're ok. Thanks to everyone for the well wishes.

Muck said:
I'm fine. We barely even got wind here in Tampa. It was dark and it rained a bit in the morning (my favorite kind of weather). The afternoon was just beautiful.

However, my family got the worst of it. They're in Clewiston, my hometown. It's about 3 hours southeast of Tampa. About an hour northwest of Ft. Lauderdale. They were on the edge of the eye the entire time. They got the front, top, and back edges of the eye....but never the eye itself. So there was never a break in the action.

I talked to my brother (Trackstar) just now (landlines don't need electricity). Our town got destroyed. Said it's pretty surreal. Everything got flattened and the debris is everywhere. Lots of people lost everything.

They've been told it'll be a minimum two weeks before they get electricity. Right now, it's absolutely pitch black outside. There's a 6pm-6am curfew for the county. The National Guard is already there. Obviously nobody can work or do anything. Stores won't be open for a long time. And most people don't have a lot of money. So food and water are going to be in great demand.

Sugar cane and citrus are the dominant industries down there. So the migrant population is considerable. My brother said they drove down to those areas of town afterwards. And there were so many people.....families, adults, children, etc. just sitting on the ground crying. Other people were just walking around aimlessly, in shock. Most of them had evacuated and returned to find that everything was gone. They've lost everything.

Our town is right on the south banks of Lake Okeechobee. The entire town used to be sugar cane fields (way back when). So there are canals everywhere. The water district drained every canal until it was bone dry in the days leading up. But the canals and the streets still became one big body of water during the storm.

Fortunately, the drainage is excellent around there. So the water in the streets is going down fast. And the dyke that protects the surrounding land from the Lake had zero problems handling the storm.

At our house, all the trees in our yard were uprooted. One fell on my dad's truck. All the shingles on our roof are gone (they're in the yard). There's a pretty bad leak in one part of the house. Of course, there's debris and things of that nature everywhere. Most of the houses on our block are still standing, but nothing else. It's like somebody came and just cleared everything out. My brother said it's almost unrecognizable.

Luckily, my dad is good at what he does (building things). So our house stood up better than most. Even the aluminum roof to our patio/deck withstood. Actually, most buildings/structures he's built around town withstood the storm.

My brother said they watched the trees just come out of the ground in our yard. They watched big pieces of metal just fly down the street. The wind was so loud. And it rained so hard they could only see out of one window in the house.

We were lucky though. The storm moved fast. And it was only a CAT 3 instead of the CAT 5 it was in Mexico. My family is fine. Our house is ok. And we've got a couple of big generators. We're a lot more fortunate than the thousands who are now homeless and had very little to begin with in our town. My heart goes out to them. I'm truly sorry. Especially when it's "home".

My brother said it's going to be a long time before things get back to normal. I wish I was there right now to see it and help out.

Muck, I'm very sorry to hear about what happened to your hometown, man. I'm glad you and your family are okay though. Just hang in and keep fighting the good fight bro.

Glad to hear you and your family are ok G... I can't even imagine what it would be like to go through something like that. Just the idea of it terrifies me... it's good to hear you're all ok ;)

Muck said:

Damn G, I'm sorry to hear about your hometown.

I'm glad you and your family are all safe though.:)

cnc66 said:
I got about thirty mins of Eye so I know about the "in it the whole time" thing. For us the backside was much worse and the flying debris from the trailor park upwind gave me plenty to wory about. My van took a shot from a piece of someones roof but it did not break the window, just dented it. I had a cabbage palm ten feet away snap about ten feet up and the crown fell down the river bank. Why it didn't snap and fall onto the house sooner is a mystery. I had much to do after the storm removing water from the house, I pulled about twenty gallons out of the house. That my walls are beadboard and not drywall saved me there. All in all, we got hit pretty good, thank goodness it was a fast mover. I got hardly any storm surge as the brunt of the east winds arrived at low tide. I got lucky, some didn't.

Sounds like you had a rough day. It's good to hear that you didn't get the worst of it though. I fear you may have to make a routine of reparing from hurricane damage, given where you live.

I'm feeling pretty luck that I moved to St. Augustine from the Bonita Springs a few months ago.
This whole hurricane advancement is getting old. I've lived in Florida my whole life, and all of a sudden I actually worry about these things. Oh well, I guess we could be shoveling snow:D

finswin56 said:
Sounds like you had a rough day. It's good to hear that you didn't get the worst of it though. I fear you may have to make a routine of reparing from hurricane damage, given where you live.

I'm feeling pretty luck that I moved to St. Augustine from the Bonita Springs a few months ago.
This whole hurricane advancement is getting old. I've lived in Florida my whole life, and all of a sudden I actually worry about these things. Oh well, I guess we could be shoveling snow:D
I'll shovel snow gladly if it means I don't have to pick up the wreckage of my home every fall.

98 percent of power in south florida is knocked out.
FPL will take up to four weeks to get it all back up.

WHY THEY HELL DOESN'T FPL PUT THE LINES UNDERGROUND?
im pretty sure they would save money in the long run b/c it must be expensive to pay for these line fixers every time a hurricane comes and it looks like they just keep getting worse every year.

stupid fpl.

muck

thats rough man. sorry to here it. here in north tampa i have been spared numorous times, luckily. i'm in one of those rare spots that barely get rain as it is...hadnt rained in weeks till yesterday.

wish your family the best

Back
Top Bottom