Anybody know how our offense was under Gailey? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Anybody know how our offense was under Gailey?

What was our offense like under Chan Gailey? Productive AND adaptable. CK posted a very good arguement for Gailey in the VIP, I have taken a few snippets from his arguement that are on the topic of "the Miami Dolphins offense" with Gailey running it...

2000: He was the first coordinator in decades to get an 1,100 yard rusher out of Miami and he did it with Lamar Smith, running behind a mediocre offensive line. Our top recievers in 2000? Leslie Shephard and Oronde Gadsden. Our QB? Jay Fiedler. Our tight ends? Hunter Goodwin and Jed Weaver.

I don't know about you guys but in my opinion, that is not exactly a stellar set of skill position players.

Yet we ranked #16 in the NFL in points scored in 2000. We went 11-5 and won the division.

2001: The offensive line collapsed. We had Spencer Folau at left tackle, Todd Wade suffered a sophomore slump, and Lamar Smith turned back into a pumpkin.

We had no running game in 2001, so what did we do? We passed the ball out of 3-WR sets constantly, using Chris Chambers in the slot (his best position), and with Jay Fiedler throwing the ball, we ranked #8 in the NFL on offense in points scored. We passed the ball 55% of the time that year, ran only 45% of the time.

As an NFL offensive coordinator his teams have gone 93 - 56 (that includes 17 playoff games).

His record as a head coach (at 2 levels of college football, the World League and the NFL) is 91 - 56 - 1.

His teams record (while he has been either a position coach, coordinator or head coach) is 212 - 128.

Just thought I'd let some of you "Gailey would be the worst choice" guys see what some of the people who think he would be a pretty good choice are thinking about.

It's a good arguement. Thanks to CK for the facts and stats.

What was our offense like under Chan Gailey? Productive AND adaptable. CK posted a very good arguement for Gailey in the VIP, I have taken a few snippets from his arguement that are on the topic of "the Miami Dolphins offense" with Gailey running it...

2000: He was the first coordinator in decades to get an 1,100 yard rusher out of Miami and he did it with Lamar Smith, running behind a mediocre offensive line. Our top recievers in 2000? Leslie Shephard and Oronde Gadsden. Our QB? Jay Fiedler. Our tight ends? Hunter Goodwin and Jed Weaver.

I don't know about you guys but in my opinion, that is not exactly a stellar set of skill position players.

Yet we ranked #16 in the NFL in points scored in 2000. We went 11-5 and won the division.

2001: The offensive line collapsed. We had Spencer Folau at left tackle, Todd Wade suffered a sophomore slump, and Lamar Smith turned back into a pumpkin.

We had no running game in 2001, so what did we do? We passed the ball out of 3-WR sets constantly, using Chris Chambers in the slot (his best position), and with Jay Fiedler throwing the ball, we ranked #8 in the NFL on offense in points scored. We passed the ball 55% of the time that year, ran only 45% of the time.

As an NFL offensive coordinator his teams have gone 93 - 56 (that includes 17 playoff games).

His record as a head coach (at 2 levels of college football, the World League and the NFL) is 91 - 56 - 1.

His teams record (while he has been either a position coach, coordinator or head coach) is 212 - 128.

Just thought I'd let some of you "Gailey would be the worst choice" guys see what some of the people who think he would be a pretty good choice are thinking about.

It's a good arguement. Thanks to CK for the facts and stats.

That's what I'm talking about. Thank you for posting, those numbers say a lot, not to mention that the guy is a firm yet non-dictatorial disciplinarian that strikes a good balance between running a tight ship and being personable.

Perhaps considering Gaily's skill set(turd polishing) this team would sparkle!!!cause there are more turds than anything else.!!! Seriously though I always liked gaily and bringing in an offensive minded guy couldnt possibly hurt this team...Besides the fact there is really no better chioce out there besides perhaps Cam ... his name will be thrown around now that the Bolts are out of the playoffs...

Gailey would be a good choice, he has posted a good record everywhere he has been. he knows how to use Chambers the right way (out of the slot) and he knows how to have a successful running game with bad o-lines. he adapts his offense to the talent on his team, thats why I support him and also Brian Schottenheimer who also knows how to adapt

Ya i want Gailey... I hear WH is in Atlanta? or has made a few trips recently.. is it for Gailey? Mora?

Chan played QB in high school and probably some in college, that's good. He's a Florida Gator ... that looks good on his resume this year. He's an Eagle Scout. They have that "scouts honor" thing you know ... so I doubt he'd do stuff like Saban did ... er, I hope. :D

Chan has coached at a lot of places that's for sure. His wife must be an expert at the moving process by now. He's been kind of a nomad. He even coached in the World Football League for the Birmingham Fire. I think that was the league that had Trump as an owner and Herschel Walker played on one of the teams for a year or so.

By the way, I wouldn't read too much into Chan losing games coaching at Georgia Tech. GT usually only has a decent team every 4 years or so. Now that they're in the ACC, things are even tougher for them. I'm surprised that GT landed such a great talent like Calvin Johnson. I sure wouldn't mind Chan bringing Calvin with him if he became the HC for us. Calvin is probably going to be on highlight reels for years to come in the NFL. T.O. isn't going to like it. Calvin is 6' 5", 235 lbs, runs a 4.4 and can jump as well as Chris Chambers does. He might be the best receiver to come out of college in years ... the Bo Jackson of wide receivers as far as physical gifts go.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chan_Gailey

http://ramblinwreck.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/gailey_chan00.html

http://ramblinwreck.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/johnson_calvin00.html

Gailey was terrible here. Their's no other way around it. When we got him, he came with the promise of a guy who knew how to be creative with an offense. He was instrumental in Pittsburgh's 5 wide receiver sets. Unfortunately, that never translated here. We never even appeared to try. It seemed as if we were all about conservative offense.

Now, I think that had a lot to do with our head coach at the time, personally.

Still, that doesn't mean I relish the idea of bringing this guy back into the fold. I really think it's time for some new blood. Let's not recycle, let's find someone who can actually bring something original to the table. Of course, I wouldn't complain about Gaily, but I'd prefer someone young, creative, and new to the situation...

Gailey was terrible here. Their's no other way around it. When we got him, he came with the promise of a guy who knew how to be creative with an offense. He was instrumental in Pittsburgh's 5 wide receiver sets. Unfortunately, that never translated here. We never even appeared to try. It seemed as if we were all about conservative offense.

Now, I think that had a lot to do with our head coach at the time, personally.

Still, that doesn't mean I relish the idea of bringing this guy back into the fold. I really think it's time for some new blood. Let's not recycle, let's find someone who can actually bring something original to the table. Of course, I wouldn't complain about Gaily, but I'd prefer someone young, creative, and new to the situation...
Dude...

YOU CAN NOT RUN 5 RECIEVER/SPREAD FORMATIONS WHEN YOU DON'T HAVE 5 DECENT RECIEVERS AND YOUR O-LINE IS BELOW AVERAGE!

I love it when I post numbers that back up a arguement and someone totally ignores them, trying to make their arguement with opinions that have zero facts to back them up.

Yeah I remember that awesome game Lamar Smith had in the playoffs. It seems like Gailey would be the best choice as of right now.

"The Dolphins finished 26th and 21st, respectively, in total offense during Gailey's tenure. But Miami finished 11-5 each season, went to the playoffs both times (1-2) and won the AFC East in 2000"

Sounds like we won on JJ's defense, same crap different coach IMO. He will be decent but certainly nothing worth getting excited about.

He worked with Capers and Mularky in Pittsburgh before so both will be retained as his coordinators next year most likely.

Same Dolphins, different head coach, nothing to get excited about...

It'd be nice if you actually provided evidence and reasoning for that.

This thread makes me want to buy VIP so badly...
Without getting into specifics CKParrothead did a excellant breakdown of Chan's offense and his abilities in VIP (I just seen another poster break it down as well above) . I found it very informative and didn't really like the idea of Gailey before that read...Hopefully we get him over Mora...

Back
Top Bottom