Anybody know how our offense was under Gailey? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Anybody know how our offense was under Gailey?

What was our offense like under Chan Gailey? Productive AND adaptable. CK posted a very good arguement for Gailey in the VIP, I have taken a few snippets from his arguement that are on the topic of "the Miami Dolphins offense" with Gailey running it...

2000: He was the first coordinator in decades to get an 1,100 yard rusher out of Miami and he did it with Lamar Smith, running behind a mediocre offensive line. Our top recievers in 2000? Leslie Shephard and Oronde Gadsden. Our QB? Jay Fiedler. Our tight ends? Hunter Goodwin and Jed Weaver.

I don't know about you guys but in my opinion, that is not exactly a stellar set of skill position players.

Yet we ranked #16 in the NFL in points scored in 2000. We went 11-5 and won the division.

2001: The offensive line collapsed. We had Spencer Folau at left tackle, Todd Wade suffered a sophomore slump, and Lamar Smith turned back into a pumpkin.

We had no running game in 2001, so what did we do? We passed the ball out of 3-WR sets constantly, using Chris Chambers in the slot (his best position), and with Jay Fiedler throwing the ball, we ranked #8 in the NFL on offense in points scored. We passed the ball 55% of the time that year, ran only 45% of the time.

As an NFL offensive coordinator his teams have gone 93 - 56 (that includes 17 playoff games).

His record as a head coach (at 2 levels of college football, the World League and the NFL) is 91 - 56 - 1.

His teams record (while he has been either a position coach, coordinator or head coach) is 212 - 128.

Just thought I'd let some of you "Gailey would be the worst choice" guys see what some of the people who think he would be a pretty good choice are thinking about.

It's a good arguement. Thanks to CK for the facts and stats.

Thanks for posting that over here. Chan is by far our best option and I only hope the Steelers don't beat us to the punch and make him an offer before we do.
The Chan haters are just ignorant. :shakeno:
Even Shula and Marino say he is our best choice, so if anyone doesn't want him, they must think they know about football than the greatest coach and the best QB in NFL history.

Thanks for posting that over here. Chan is by far our best option and I only hope the Steelers don't beat us to the punch and make him an offer before we do.
The Chan haters are just ignorant. :shakeno:
Even Shula and Marino say he is our best choice, so if anyone doesn't want him, they must think they know about football than the greatest coach and the best QB in NFL history.

The Steelers told him they are no longer interested in him so no worries there man.

If gailey comes here is there any chance he brings his offensive coordinator from Georgia Tech with him?

In 2000
Our passing ranked 30th in the league in yards
Our rushing ranked 14th in yardage
Total offense was 27th in yardage
Team ranked 16th in points (which would include andy defensive and special teams TDs)
Jay Fiedler completed 57.1% of his passes for 2400 yards, with 14 TD and 14 INT
The rushing attack averaged 3.8 yards per carry, with Lamar Smith leading the way with over 1100 yards
Gadsden led the team with 56 catches for 786 yards and 6 TD

In 2001
Our passing ranked 20th in the league in yards
Our rushing ranked 29th in yards, averaging 3.5 yards per carry
Total offense ranked 24th in yards
Team ranked 8th overall in points
Fiedler completed 60.7% for 3290 yards, with 20 TD and 19 INT
Lamar Smith ran for 961 yards at 3.1 per carry
Gadsden and James McKnight each had 55 catches
Chambers led the team with 883 yards and 7 TD

Gailey ran a conservative attack here. But, in fairness to him, he had very limited talent to work with. And Wannstedt was the ultimate conservative coach, so there is no telling how much Wanny made him pull in the reins.

I'm not overwelmed with any of the choices.I don't know a whole lot about Mora to speak about him, but (if I had time) I'd go back, and dig up old posts to remind you all why you wanted Chan gone. Years later, you want him as our coach. Go figure.

Back
Top Bottom