Anyone else think 28 years is long enough between using a 1st rd. pick on a QB | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Anyone else think 28 years is long enough between using a 1st rd. pick on a QB

Everyone seems to comment with a "hindsight is 20/20" attitude. How could we POSSIBLY have known how successful Matt Ryan or Aaron Rodgers would be in the pros? The answer? We didn't! As I recall, 23 teams also passed on Aaron Rodgers. We can attribute Ronnie Brown being drafted that year (2005, when Rodgers was available) due to Saban's love affair with the SEC, and team's feeling AT THAT TIME (Sammy Morris was our top running back in 2004) on what was best for the team.

We should all take a rotation in the Dolphins' scouting department to see just how difficult it is to get the right player at the right time. The only reward is IF the player you selected pans out, then, again, if it doesn't there's criticism for moving up to pick a player...

Buddy these guys get big time $$$ there supposed to make the right picks

At least we have one of the best, if not the best LTs in the league to show for it. What's more egregious to me is having a chance at Aaron Rodgers, now coming into his prime and arguably one of the top 5 or so QBs in the league - the best QB in his draft after SF had a brain fart producing Alex Smith...but instead taking a corn fed SEC part time running back with the number 2 pick injured more often than not and heading toward the downside of his career. Not coincidentally, thru this week, of the top 5 yardage RBs, only 1 is a 1st round pick, and the top back is a UFA.

Get real.

Can we get a coach in here that values a stud QB in a FREAKIN QB DRIVEN LEAGUE? If the Fins stop playing the QB shell game maybe this franchise can experience real success.

Personally I want them to go after Mallett and bring in a Coryell style Off. Coordinator I think he could be good in that offense.

Just really frustrated with the garbage this team is putting out there on a yearly basis.

Your preaching to the choir, just look at the success this team had in it's first 20 years when it drafted 2 first round hall of fame QB's in round 1.(5 Superbowl appearances)

Now look at the last 20 when we avoided drafting a QB in round 1..................this should be obvious to everyone.

This is a quarterback driven league, you simply have to keep drafting them till you find a franchise QB.

None of you knows anything about drafting! Picking a QB in the first round does not mean the guy is gonna be good. The single most difficult position to draft in the NFL is the QB. I'd rather take the right guy in round 2 or 3 than the wrong guy in round 1. Just b/c it's been so long since we've drafted a QB in the first round doesn't mean we planned it that way. If your guy was taken before you get up...nothing you can do about it.

What? You afraid we are going to go another 37 years without a ring if we get a QB in the first? No drafting one sure as **** isn't helping...

Talk to me Sunday at about 7:30pm. We'll see who's happier

Seriously, have you seen Mark's QB rating??? He's #25 at 77.4, right behind Henne at 77.5. I've said it before and I'll say it again...HE IS OVER-RATED.

What? You afraid we are going to go another 37 years without a ring if we get a QB in the first? No drafting one sure as **** isn't helping...

Some of you are missing my point. I'm not saying we shouldn't take a QB in the first round. I'm just saying that taking a QB in the first round is not a sure bet. I don't blame BP for going the direction he did when we held the first overall pick. Our biggest mistake was when Wanny passed on Drew Brees.

At this point i dont care if we trade away the entire 2011 draft picks to get a QB in the first round.

Some of you are missing my point. I'm not saying we shouldn't take a QB in the first round. I'm just saying that taking a QB in the first round is not a sure bet. I don't blame BP for going the direction he did when we held the first overall pick. Our biggest mistake was when Wanny passed on Drew Brees.

I don't see where anyone insinuated that drafting a QB in the 1st round was a sure bet.... However, avoiding the QB position all together in the 1st round is a sure bet to guarantee that you won't ever get one...

And if you DO hit on the quarterback, it's a sure bet that you're going to be a better football team for a longer period of time than NOT having a quarterback and hitting on a sure bet offensive lineman...

Speaking of which, go do some research on the bust percentage of left tackles in the 1st round of the NFL draft... NOTHING is a sure bet when you're projecting college kids into the NFL.

I don't see where anyone insinuated that drafting a QB in the 1st round was a sure bet.... However, avoiding the QB position all together in the 1st round is a sure bet to guarantee that you won't ever get one...

And if you DO hit on the quarterback, it's a sure bet that you're going to be a better football team for a longer period of time than NOT having a quarterback and hitting on a sure bet offensive lineman...

Speaking of which, go do some research on the bust percentage of left tackles in the 1st round of the NFL draft... NOTHING is a sure bet when you're projecting college kids into the NFL.

I don't need to research it, I agree with what you're saying. I did previously say that QB is the most difficult position to project from college to pro. I'm aware there no sure bets in the draft, but you can play the odds. That is what BP did. The odds of getting a QB bust at pick #1 was greater than getting a left tackle bust at pick #1. Hindsight is 20/20. It's easy to complain now.

QUICK !! tell me in 3 seconds who Joe Montana's left tackle was.

*BUZZZZER*

Everybody remembers who Elway, Montana, Unitas, Staubach, Marino, Favre, Bradshaw were...

Nobody remembers their LT's.​

I don't need to research it, I agree with what you're saying. I did previously say that QB is the most difficult position to project from college to pro. I'm aware there no sure bets in the draft, but you can play the odds. That is what BP did. The odds of getting a QB bust at pick #1 was greater than getting a left tackle bust at pick #1. Hindsight is 20/20. It's easy to complain now.

No.. it's not hindsight. I tried to tell everyone that passing on Matt Ryan was going to be the latest in a long line of QB blunders that this organization has made BEFORE the draft ever took place...

I had Matt Ryan nailed in September of '07, 6 months before the draft ever took place...

Bill Parcells already had a history of passing up on franchise left tackles with the #1 overall pick (Orlando Pace).. and other franchise left tackles in the draft (Walter Jones)... so I'm not buying this "philosophy" bullsh*t about Parcells...

The fact is, they misevaluated Matt Ryan....

"Playing the odds" isn't the type of people that need to be running NFL franchises... competent drafters that can evaluate talent, and understand the importance of the quarterback position is the type of people that need to be running NFL franchises...

"Safe" drafting is going to keep you struggling to win 8 games every year... while the difference makers are going to be leading other teams to playoff and superbowl appearances...

wait a minute here there is another factor here to consider and that has been the qb class hs been rather week and the chances of any of these qbs are slim . I have admitt that i really thought that Beck was capable of being that guy but the staff through him out there and he failed but whats worse is , that our coaches have been aweful at developing certain positions and qb is the main weekness. Futhermore I would rather have a marginal qb untill we can draft a cant miss type qb instead of drafting qbs in rd and keep missing.

I think Henne is a victim of Dan Henning 's lame play calling and if you look at how ronnie was pulled and we ran that horidous play for no yards on 3rd down in the jets game I think Henning should come under more fire then he has. Plus we dont have a real qb coach right now so Henne is in a lose - lose situation.

Ronnie brown should have been able to take pressure off of Chad but no we only run when we need to pass . but back to drafting a qb there is no law that says a great qb cant be had in rd 2 or even 5 for that matter.

Back
Top Bottom