Anyone else think 28 years is long enough between using a 1st rd. pick on a QB | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Anyone else think 28 years is long enough between using a 1st rd. pick on a QB

wait a minute here there is another factor here to consider and that has been the qb class hs been rather week and the chances of any of these qbs are slim . I have admitt that i really thought that Beck was capable of being that guy but the staff through him out there and he failed but whats worse is , that our coaches have been aweful at developing certain positions and qb is the main weekness. Futhermore I would rather have a marginal qb untill we can draft a cant miss type qb instead of drafting qbs in rd and keep missing.

I think Henne is a victim of Dan Henning 's lame play calling and if you look at how ronnie was pulled and we ran that horidous play for no yards on 3rd down in the jets game I think Henning should come under more fire then he has. Plus we dont have a real qb coach right now so Henne is in a lose - lose situation.

Ronnie brown should have been able to take pressure off of Chad but no we only run when we need to pass . but back to drafting a qb there is no law that says a great qb cant be had in rd 2 or even 5 for that matter.

No, but the odds go down dramatically after round 1, we did a study on it on this board several years ago and it's not even close, your best odds of finding a Superbowl winning QB are in round one.

Seriously, have you seen Mark's QB rating??? He's #25 at 77.4, right behind Henne at 77.5. I've said it before and I'll say it again...HE IS OVER-RATED.

Are you aware of the experience difference between Sanchez and Henne? The fact that Sanchez's #'s are even close to Henne's should be an embarrassment to Henne. Henne is done as the Phins QB, the only chance he has left is a competent OC gives him a chance next year. Sanchez has made about 30 starts since high school if you can't see his upside is way higher than Henne's then I suggest you take off the aqua/orange glasses. Seriously man I don't want Sanchez to succeed obviously but compare what he does at the end of the game vs Cleveland to what Henne does. If you don't see that the Jets are not in an impossible position when they are in a 3rd and more than 3 yards scenario and the Phins are then you're not seeing what is holding this team back. It might be against mostly ****ty competition but when the Jets have needed a play from their QB Sanchez has often made that play. Henne has not

Not 1 single thing will turn around the Phins fortunes as much as getting a QB this team can build around. They could bring in Andre Johnson and Antonio Gates and it won't have as much of an impact on the Phins bottom line as getting a top 10 quality QB. If you want to keep playing the Wannstedt/Sparano "keep it close, don't make any mistakes" type football then keep being satisfied with the current state of this franchise. Also Henne has only been asked to be a caretaker QB so far and he's failed at that.

Just so I see where you stand how do you think the Phins should address the QB issue?

thats a long time but expect it to be longer if we dont have a shot at drafting andrew luck which we dont

Seriously man I don't want Sanchez to succeed obviously but compare what he does at the end of the game vs Cleveland to what Henne does.

Henne hasn't been very good in game winning situations. He's had 4 chances this season.
Against the Jets he threw the game ending interception.
Against the Steelers he threw the game ending interception.
Against the Browns he threw the game ending interception.
He did drive for the game winning FG in OT against Green Bay.
1 for 4 with (3) 4th quarter ints. You just can't have that and expect to be successful.

He was much better last year but has regressed in that area this year.

Some of you are missing my point. I'm not saying we shouldn't take a QB in the first round. I'm just saying that taking a QB in the first round is not a sure bet. I don't blame BP for going the direction he did when we held the first overall pick. Our biggest mistake was when Wanny passed on Drew Brees.

You do know by saying this that the Dolphins should've used a 1st rd. pick to select a QB. Of course if the Phins make the wrong selection and the QB sucks it will be the wrong pick but if Jake Long turned into Tony Mandarich that too would be the wrong pick. Since Dan retired has been the worse era of Dolphins football. I'm sick of treading water and finishing anywhere between 6-10 and 10-6 and in good years going 11-5 and bad years 4-12. The '07 Giants went 10-6 but because they had a good defense PLUS a QB who can make plays downfield they were able to win a SB. Over the last decade many times Miami has had a good defense but not once have they had a QB who consistently can make downfield throws which has resulted in 1 playoff victory in the last 10 years which quite frankly sucks.

You do know by saying this that the Dolphins should've used a 1st rd. pick to select a QB. Of course if the Phins make the wrong selection and the QB sucks it will be the wrong pick but if Jake Long turned into Tony Mandarich that too would be the wrong pick. Since Dan retired has been the worse era of Dolphins football. I'm sick of treading water and finishing anywhere between 6-10 and 10-6 and in good years going 11-5 and bad years 4-12. The '07 Giants went 10-6 but because they had a good defense PLUS a QB who can make plays downfield they were able to win a SB. Over the last decade many times Miami has had a good defense but not once have they had a QB who consistently can make downfield throws which has resulted in 1 playoff victory in the last 10 years which quite frankly sucks.

Yeah good but not great or special. They weren't championship level defenses. Those defenses were mentally weak against good opponents.

They blew a gasket whenever there was any sense of adversity. They were nothing close to the level of a Baltimore or Steelers D (when healthy).

That doesn't qualify.

Yeah good but not great or special. They weren't championship level defenses. Those defenses were mentally weak against good opponents.

They blew a gasket whenever there was any sense of adversity. They were nothing close to the level of a Baltimore or Steelers D (when healthy).

That doesn't qualify.

Agreed. Fiedler, who obviously wasn't very good, bailed that defense out just as many times as it did him. Those defenses crumbled like the Bills in the Super Bowl when the pressure was on.

Richmond Webb! But I get your point.

YOU remember him because you're a DOLPHINS FAN..

Fans of 31 other teams know exactly who Marino was, but they could care less, or have no clue who Webb was,

Why do you think i asked you who Montana's LT was ?? because you know about Montana even though you're not a niners fan, but you had no clue who his LT was when I asked the question ;)

Keena Turner??? I remember he was one of the lineman but maybe not the LT.

Point well taken.

YOU remember him because you're a DOLPHINS FAN..

Fans of 31 other teams know exactly who Marino was, but they could care less, or have no clue who Webb was,

Why do you think i asked you who Montana's LT was ?? because you know about Montana even though you're not a niners fan, but you had no clue who his LT was when I asked the question ;)

Quarterbacks are more important than left tackles but this is a poor example of why. Wide receivers and running backs also have way more exposure than do offensive lineman but there isn't a team out there who'd trade a premium left tackle for a premium wide receiver or running back. And for good reason.

NFL franchises vote with their pocketbooks, and generally speaking the three highest paid guys on a team are the quarterback, the left tackle and the chief pass rusher.

Either way it all comes down to the quarterback. His importance is why the tackle and pass rusher are so important.

But whether the average fan -- or heck, even the in-depth fan -- can remember who Joe Montana's left tackle doesn't change a thing, assuming you already went into it knowing the average fan doesn't know anything about anything.

I say we draft Cam Newton in the first round in 2011. I haven't given up on Henne but we may need several QB's to replace Pennington and Thigpen. I think we need to see what Henne can do with a real OC before we label him a "bust," and throw him away like we have all the other QB's we've had since Marino. All of the QB's we have drafted or brought in have been slower than molasses or statues. I think Newton has the stength and mobility that we need.... so I say let's roll the dice on him.

Back
Top Bottom