Anyone else think Chris Leak will be a good NFL quarterback? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Anyone else think Chris Leak will be a good NFL quarterback?

Leak in addition to being a little short doesn't put much zip on his passes either. Granted he throws a very pretty ball but it does tend to float a little bit, especially when he throws downfield. I also wonder about his leadership as he never seems to step up in big games at UF. I think he could be a NFL QB, I wouldn't put big money on him being an all star level QB but I think he can make an NFL roster and be an effective backup and maybe a starter for a few years. I could see him having a Rodney Peete like career.

Blackshade said:
Leak in addition to being a little short doesn't put much zip on his passes either. Granted he throws a very pretty ball but it does tend to float a little bit, especially when he throws downfield. I also wonder about his leadership as he never seems to step up in big games at UF. I think he could be a NFL QB, I wouldn't put big money on him being an all star level QB but I think he can make an NFL roster and be an effective backup and maybe a starter for a few years. I could see him having a Rodney Peete like career.

Man, you talking about the same Chris Leak I am???

Nothing could be further from the truth than that comment. On the intermediate passes, he's got the best zip in the country.

Chris Leak has as much zip on his pass as anyone i've seen, and still has great touch. A guy very similar to him, IMO is Reggie McNeal who lost to Clemson today, but I still think he can be a good NFL Qb. Vince Young played an awful team today, but physically he's the most gifted Qb in the country.

DolphinDevil28 said:
Yeah, Oklahoma got crushed. But you can't say USC would have definitely beaten LSU that year.

Do you know LSU had one of, if not the best defense in NCAA history that season?

LAST year was the year USC was indestructable. LSU would have given USC the toughest game they've ever played in 2003.

As an 'SC alum I think we would have had all we could handle from LSU that year. Top flight SEC champions have too much talent to be intimidated or get blown out. Since this is a Gator thread I'm forced to point out the one glorious exception: Nebraska/Florida, Fiesta Bowl, 1995. Why the heck did Nebraska call it off with about 10 minutes left? I was rooting for 100.

Anyway, that game would have basically been a home game for LSU. Our loss was at Cal, a game we trailed badly at one point and were semi-lucky to even get into OT. LSU lost one low scoring home game to Florida. But they never displayed any type of defensive vulnerability like Oklahoma did last year, giving up huge points in close road wins over Texas A&M and Oklahoma State. LSU's QB was functional but hardly outstanding. My gut feeling is we would have had slightly too many playmakers and pulled out a tight game. But hardly a cinch. We matched up much better with Michigan and it was obvious any type of win would give us the Associated Press title.

At 'SC no one has ever slighted LSU's claim. I don't understand LSU's ongoing insistence they deserved the whole pie. The system was so screwed Oklahoma basically benefitted by losing, since 'SC would have faced Oklahoma if OU had beaten Kansas St. OU was a 6 point favorite over LSU while 'SC would have been favored over the Sooners.

Blackshade said:

You're noticing the same things I have. Particularly the floated passes down the field. Pretty good comparison to Rodney Peete. The Gator fans won't like it but I can see it.

Schleprock said:
I can tell you one thing, Leak looks like twice the damn QB Omar Jacobs does. From every standpoint from mobility, to intelligence, to throwing mechanics.

Now I don't wanna run in as a homer and defend Jacobs, but
1. I promise you Jacobs is more mobile than leak, and his a MUCH bigger frame to throw around.
2. How can you judge their intelligence against eachother? Did you sit them both down and have them take the wonderlic for you? If your refering to carefulness with the football I don't see how Leak showed you more than a 10-1 td int ratio that Jacobs has.
3. I'll be the first to amit Jacobs delievery is flawed, but if it ain't broke why fix it. Rivers, Kosar, and Marino are 3 quarterbacks with not prototype deliever and it has worked pretty damn well for them all. Sometimes the great ones don't always have to work by the book.

Awsi Dooger said:
As an 'SC alum I think we would have had all we could handle from LSU that year. Top flight SEC champions have too much talent to be intimidated or get blown out. Since this is a Gator thread I'm forced to point out the one glorious exception: Nebraska/Florida, Fiesta Bowl, 1995. Why the heck did Nebraska call it off with about 10 minutes left? I was rooting for 100.

Anyway, that game would have basically been a home game for LSU. Our loss was at Cal, a game we trailed badly at one point and were semi-lucky to even get into OT. LSU lost one low scoring home game to Florida. But they never displayed any type of defensive vulnerability like Oklahoma did last year, giving up huge points in close road wins over Texas A&M and Oklahoma State. LSU's QB was functional but hardly outstanding. My gut feeling is we would have had slightly too many playmakers and pulled out a tight game. But hardly a cinch. We matched up much better with Michigan and it was obvious any type of win would give us the Associated Press title.

At 'SC no one has ever slighted LSU's claim. I don't understand LSU's ongoing insistence they deserved the whole pie. The system was so screwed Oklahoma basically benefitted by losing, since 'SC would have faced Oklahoma if OU had beaten Kansas St. OU was a 6 point favorite over LSU while 'SC would have been favored over the Sooners.

The only way there wasn't going to be a dual national championship is if USC lost to Michigain. I'm not a USC fan, but if Pete Carroll wants to make it fair for the rest of college football, he should have to take a year off from recruiting, USC is a top 15 team if there backups play, it's absolutely amazing what the guy has done. The only guy who comes close to him is Mack Brown, but he has not been able to beat OU, Saban was a great recruiter also. If I had to pick a championship game right now it would be USC vs Texas, which could be a game where the future Qb of the Phins plays in, whether its' Young or Leinart. Alot of people will post Young isn't a great passer, I think he's got the physical tools to do so, his release did look better in the brief moments I seen them beat Ul Lafeyette, but he's a playmaker, and was the best player on the field in the Rose Bowl with 4 other 1st rd picks on the field, 2 of which went in the top 4.

saves said:
Now I don't wanna run in as a homer and defend Jacobs, but
1. I promise you Jacobs is more mobile than leak, and his a MUCH bigger frame to throw around.
2. How can you judge their intelligence against eachother? Did you sit them both down and have them take the wonderlic for you? If your refering to carefulness with the football I don't see how Leak showed you more than a 10-1 td int ratio that Jacobs has.
3. I'll be the first to amit Jacobs delievery is flawed, but if it ain't broke why fix it. Rivers, Kosar, and Marino are 3 quarterbacks with not prototype deliever and it has worked pretty damn well for them all. Sometimes the great ones don't always have to work by the book.

I don't like Jacobs, and have posted since last year about his delivery, it has improved which I will admit. I think he can be a good Qb, but is a big project, and think he'll go to a team with a good veteran to learn behind, if I had to say what the best situation for him to go to, it would be the Titans, if McNair decides he's going to play a few more years.

djfresh47 said:
I don't like Jacobs, and have posted since last year about his delivery, it has improved which I will admit.

What has improved about his delievery. If anything he rushed and made throws without setting himself more than I've ever seen in the past, which I attribute to a new o-line and nasty wisky defense, but I don't see any "improvement" in his throwing style.

saves said:
What has approved about his delievery. If anything he rushed and made throws without setting himself more than I've ever seen in the past, which I attribute to a new o-line and nasty wisky defense, but I don't see any "improvement" in his throwing style.

He still does not bring the ball back, but I think he had it a little farther back, rather than completely throwing it like a dart, as I believe you stated in regards to him awhile back, now that's still the best way to describe his motion, but it seems like he has it a little farther back. I think he improved, and the commentators discussed how the Bowling Green coaches were trying to improve his motion, but still his passes had a low trajectory. Him and Vince Young are both ultra talented, but have flawed throwing motions, both improved, but it's a toss-up, betweeen the 2, and I think i'd rather have Young.

Also, it appears he's throwing with just his arm, and that could lead to alot of arm problems in the future. I think he may end up with elbow/shoulder problems, if he doesn't improve.

byroan said:
No. Leak won't be a good NFL QB. He doesn't have the maturity to make it. I played against him in high school. Everytime someone else on the team made a mistake, he would cry about it. He cried about getting sacked. He blamed all his incomplete passes on the receivers. I don't want him in Miami.

Sounds just like Marino. :lol:

I'm a Gator and I think Leak is a fantastic college QB, but I don't think he'll make a great pro. Aside from the size thing he doesn't have a strong arm. He floats some that he should be firing in there. He also has a slow release. On the other hand, he's a great leader, has touch and accuracy and seems to be a smart student of the game, though so he might make it. I just don't think he's an elite prospect.

DolphinDevil28 said:
Yeah, Oklahoma got crushed. But you can't say USC would have definitely beaten LSU that year.

Do you know LSU had one of, if not the best defense in NCAA history that season?

LAST year was the year USC was indestructable. LSU would have given USC the toughest game they've ever played in 2003.

No, I think that distinction has to go to Cal. Not only did they flat out beat USC in 2003, they should have beat them last year too. Tedford has done an amazing turnaround with that program. They will be a player this year too.

Awsi Dooger said:
Admittedly I don't like the Gators. Make that I despise the Gators, and have since properly taught by my dad at age 3. I did like Ron Zook, the guy who recruited Leak and got screwed out of a deserved lifetime contract.

I think Leak's delivery is a little bit mechanical. Coming out of high school I thought it was ideal, but he seems to have changed it. Maybe because of his height and some instruction from the coaching staff he holds the ball higher and stiffer than before. I don't necessarily like that, similar to the Tedford QBs. It doesn't look as natural as the form I remembered from the Army High School All Star Game after his senior year. I taped that game and the two stars were Leak and Reggie Bush.

Something bothers me about Leak. He had a chance to pull out the Miami game as a freshman in 2003, after Berlin made the miracle comeback, but threw a forced INT on first down with about 30 seconds remaining. He played poorly in both bowl games and Florida lost convincingly both times. Against Arkansas as a frosh he tried his damndest to blow a massive lead in the 4th quarter but was bailed out on a dumb roughing play by Tony Bua after throwing a stupid forced INT. Stuff like losing to Mississippi State doesn't inspire confidence either. I'm willing to give Leak two years to bloom under a good coach, but right now I can't see him being a high pick.

SKY IS FALLING....I will agree with the Hurricane fan...I think Leak floats the ball too much and needs some seasoning......despite the loud denials by the Gator faithful, of which I am one, Leak's height is a problem....last night it was clear he had to wait on a few plays until a receiver cleared into his line of vision outside of the tackles

THAT BEING SAID......he is wonderfully accurate with most throws as evidenced by his 17 straight completions last night....he made great decisions all night including falling on a fumble he would have tried to pick up in the past...his delivery is pretty but slow sometimes but his ball is very catchable and when he is throwing it on an intermediate route he zips it good...just floats on the long balls.

As for the comment on Zook--very funny......I'm sure every opponent would want Zook to have a lifetime contract....listening to him walk off at halftime and stutter his way through the interview brought back some painful memories.....as to Leak's shortcomings in some big games...they were mostly due to a defense that laid down late in games....he also had enough moxie to beat LSU in Baton Rouge his "true" freshman year--handing the tigers their ONLY loss on the way to a NC....big time!!

Back
Top Bottom