Anyone else think Chris Leak will be a good NFL quarterback? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Anyone else think Chris Leak will be a good NFL quarterback?

ABrownLamp said:
I know that for me personally, I have not matured at all since sophomore year in high school.

I think I speak for all of us when I say, what you do and how you act at 15, is exactly how you will act for the rest for your life.

Also, the last thing I would want froma QB is for them to get on people for making mistakes. I think the best QBs are the ones who let others do as they please. I have heard those types of personalities make the best leaders.

There are probably some on this site that would agree with the first statement. As to the second one, please do not speak for me here,

Chris Leak will be a decent NFL QB. But he won't be one of those guys that will jump to the nexy level and produce immediately. It will take him a few years to get ready to compete at this level. He is a very smart player and sees the field well and he has an above average arm. But don't expect him to come out in the draft this year. He'll finish out college.

We also need to remember that Leak has had NO COACHING of any worth up until this year so looking at him now might not be the best indicator......let's see what he looks like at the end of this year and we will have a clearer picture.....

I know scouts aren't always as accurate as they claim to be, but i've heard more than one in the past year and even the past month say that Leak is NO WHERE near ready to become an NFL quarterback. Let him stay his full four years and see where he is come the Senior Bowl...

byroan said:
No. Leak won't be a good NFL QB. He doesn't have the maturity to make it. I played against him in high school. Everytime someone else on the team made a mistake, he would cry about it. He cried about getting sacked. He blamed all his incomplete passes on the receivers. I don't want him in Miami.
Kids do mature, you know. And Dan Marino did that, too! He never took blame for things, always put the blame on his O-line or his receivers for not making the catch, you going to say you wouldn't want Marino in Miami?

djfresh47 said:
He still does not bring the ball back, but I think he had it a little farther back, rather than completely throwing it like a dart, as I believe you stated in regards to him awhile back, now that's still the best way to describe his motion, but it seems like he has it a little farther back. I think he improved, and the commentators discussed how the Bowling Green coaches were trying to improve his motion, but still his passes had a low trajectory. Him and Vince Young are both ultra talented, but have flawed throwing motions, both improved, but it's a toss-up, betweeen the 2, and I think i'd rather have Young.

Now that you mention it, it does seem to come a little farther back rather than right from the head, nothing earthshatering though. We'll see how this season pans out for Young and Jacobs, theres no doubt who has the more talented team, but for Youngs sake he has the be consistent in the passing game to be worth labeling a franchise QB.

Either way this is a Leak thread, I didn't mean to stray so far off topic.

byroan said:
No. Leak won't be a good NFL QB. He doesn't have the maturity to make it. I played against him in high school. Everytime someone else on the team made a mistake, he would cry about it. He cried about getting sacked. He blamed all his incomplete passes on the receivers. I don't want him in Miami.

I think it is an issue of perspective. Similiar things were said about Marino, it can be called "crying" as you say, or it can be called a "perfectionist". Some of the QBs that demand perfection and are not afraid to call a team mate out or hold his teamates accountable have the ability to raise the level of play of those around them. Michael Jordon had no problem with letting his teammates know they were not pulling their weight.
There is a right way and a wrong way to do these things. However I would rather coach someone that demanded perfection than coach someone who didn't care. Back in HS Leak showed a lot of the issues you were talking about. While at Independence he was a freshman, and I watched him in a playoff game vs Richmond county the first time I ever saw him play. The passion at which he played in the biggest game of his life, to that point, told me a lot about him. They were road dogs playing the best team in the state, but someone forgot to let Chris in on the fact he should be intimidated. He really does have that "it" the poster referred to. It just seems as though the game slows down when these people gets in the game. It's like they play in slow motion, and everything always comes so easy for them. He has always had that.
I really think he has a chance to be a solid player at the next level. But as it is with any QB, it is a lot about where they go and what system they get into. I for one, would not mind seeing him end up a Dolphin.

snowy said:
We also need to remember that Leak has had NO COACHING of any worth up until this year so looking at him now might not be the best indicator......let's see what he looks like at the end of this year and we will have a clearer picture.....

I disagree. Tommy Knots is one of the best QB coaches around. He takes some kid and turns him into a superstar every year. I know it is at the HS level, but learning proper techniques at the HS level is very important and I wouldn't discount it.

DolphinDevil28 said:
Yeah, he's 6'0" and 210 lbs.

But he definitely possesses that unexplainable "it." Many talented QB's lack it, and that's why they are not superstars. (Aaron Brooks)

Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Trent Green, Daunte Culpepper, Jake Delhome, Donovan McNabb and Brett Favre, amongst a few others, have "it."

Leak has it too.

Not to mention the fact that Leak, not Leinart, Manning or Vick, throws the most accurate and best-velocity ball I have EVER seen from a collegiate quarterback.

I for one would be elated if Leak declares for the draft next year and we could somehow get him.

Looking at the Gators history.....

NO!

Now we have people comparing Leak to Marino?? :shakeno:

I gotta say having Leak as our Qb would be awesome if only because I played against him in HS Football. We were a solid playoff team, but he and his team (who were ranked 2nd in the nation) beat us 77-6. Ridiculous, the man had WRs that burned our DBs on every down, not to mention he has a f'n cannon. Our only points scored came from our kicker.

On a brighter note, I played MLB and sacked him once that game. I always joke w/ my team sayin I would brag about it when he went to the NFL. If he played for the Fins it would be that much sweeter.

Not to say he is the best choice, but if he is the one....well I'm down!

Back
Top Bottom