Anyone else worried about Thomas | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Anyone else worried about Thomas

I agree but let's wait for the first month or two of the season before we judge. Remember the lockout prevented minicamps and stuff so he shouldn't be on the traditional learning curve. Because he is a running back, we should know if he is a keeper by mid-season.

I know he had a good ypc avg this game but so far I'm a little worried about him as he hasn't looked all that impressive. First he doesn't look like the big bruising inside runner we were looking for. He is listed with good height and weight but he looks very skinny and lanky when he out there his legs look skinny and his arms looks small. So far he also doesn't seem to be able to break tackles like Ricky and Ronnie did which is something he will need to do in playing this crap ground and pound Sparano adores. So far I'm not very impressed and am worried he may not produce. Remember there is not really a learning curve for RBs in the NFL. Good ones usually come in and produce right away.

He will be fine everyone!!!!! Everyone worries way too much! He's a rookie! It is preseason. He is still getting his feet wet in the NFL. He will be fine but don't expect him to be Arian Foster already by Week 1

Instead of just making a blanket statement saying "hey, everything is great and going to be great!" you explain your reasoning beyond "he's new!"?

The OP's concerns are very valid and something ive questioned in other threads. Thomas appears to be a checklist of what you dont want in a running back, and while he hasn't had the time rookies of previous seasons have had, his game seems to be full of flaws. Im less concerned with his "lankiness" then how he seems to run upright. Other young running backs have had this problem and it has lead directly to injuries that cost alot of time. While this problem can be tweaked, it takes time to correct(if they are able to correct that habit at all). Darren McFadden is the biggest example i can think of but he can get away with it because of elite speed and burst. Even then he was often injured his first few years in the league.

I dont see much in Thomas's game that screams out "start him immediately". In the next two or three weeks his speed and burst wont increase. In the next two or three weeks im extremely doubtful that his ball protection and pad level will improve. I literally have no idea why we didnt sign a veteran running back. Other then hubris by our coaching staff.

My biggest beef is he doesn't seem that talented, especially for a 2nd round pick. We need playmakers, guys that turn a simple play into a sportscenter highlight. Just like Ricky did in his heyday. I blame this on the regime. This is their staple: do your job play it safe and maybe the other team screws up. If you look at the elite teams, they go out and make big plays. Most games are won and lost because of big plays. We don't have playmakers on offense or defense (lack of ints). We play it close then in one big play game over. Hopefully, we clean house after the season. So tired of this rebuilding crap.

Instead of just making a blanket statement saying "hey, everything is great and going to be great!" you explain your reasoning beyond "he's new!"?

The OP's concerns are very valid and something ive questioned in other threads. Thomas appears to be a checklist of what you dont want in a running back, and while he hasn't had the time rookies of previous seasons have had, his game seems to be full of flaws. Im less concerned with his "lankiness" then how he seems to run upright. Other young running backs have had this problem and it has lead directly to injuries that cost alot of time. While this problem can be tweaked, it takes time to correct(if they are able to correct that habit at all). Darren McFadden is the biggest example i can think of but he can get away with it because of elite speed and burst. Even then he was often injured his first few years in the league.

I dont see much in Thomas's game that screams out "start him immediately". In the next two or three weeks his speed and burst wont increase. In the next two or three weeks im extremely doubtful that his ball protection and pad level will improve. I literally have no idea why we didnt sign a veteran running back. Other then hubris by our coaching staff.

My biggest beef is he doesn't seem that talented, especially for a 2nd round pick. We need playmakers, guys that turn a simple play into a sportscenter highlight. Just like Ricky did in his heyday. I blame this on the regime. This is their staple: do your job play it safe and maybe the other team screws up. If you look at the elite teams, they go out and make big plays. Most games are won and lost because of big plays. We don't have playmakers on offense or defense (lack of ints). We play it close then in one big play game over. Hopefully, we clean house after the season. So tired of this rebuilding crap.

Cant disagree. My opinion of the running back positions has changed over the last few years. Before, i could get behind the "jack of all trades master of none" type(think Knowshon Moreno). Now adays im convinced you have to have elite talent(Peterson) or elite qualities(Chris Johnson, McFadden). Thomas doesnt seem to fall into either of those catagories.

I dont see anything in Thomas's, admittedly early, game to suggest he wouldn't have been there in the third. Even if he was gone by that time, i dont think it was have been crippling(like, say, not drafting a quarterback).

I know he had a good ypc avg this game but so far I'm a little worried about him as he hasn't looked all that impressive. First he doesn't look like the big bruising inside runner we were looking for. He is listed with good height and weight but he looks very skinny and lanky when he out there his legs look skinny and his arms looks small. So far he also doesn't seem to be able to break tackles like Ricky and Ronnie did which is something he will need to do in playing this crap ground and pound Sparano adores. So far I'm not very impressed and am worried he may not produce. Remember there is not really a learning curve for RBs in the NFL. Good ones usually come in and produce right away.

He's learning. He's learning how to properly be patient and set up blocks. Even the announcers had mentioned how Thomas was just barreling into the line Week 1 and in Week 2 he showed more of that patience which is needed. Let's just hope he isn't as "patient" as Ronnie Brown ;). He's going to be a nice change up from Bush.

Not the panic button again... DT has barely 3Q of Pro football in his career and some are already worried. C'mon guys, be serious.

Versus Atlanta, even a fusion of Mike Alstott measurable with Adrian Peterson speed/vision wouln't have got more yards than Thomas. There was simply no room to run whatsoever.

Versus Carolina, DT ran very well overall. His worst run was the 2nd run stuff at the Goaline. Yes, he should have hit the holes instead of waiting for a block, nothing worrisome there.

And ability to break tackles is something you either have, or you don't. It's not teachable like keeping the football secure when you run. All the scouts that saw him at KSU said that he has this capability. Scouts that saw videotapes of everygame he played, not guys like us (most if us) who saw him 3Q of preseason games.

I am NOT worry about him at all......loved what I saw from him in his 2nd game and he seems to get better the more carries he gets.

Ozzy rules!!

As long as he is better than the other 33 (Sammie"the fumbling at the goal line"Smith) we used to have..ill be happy lol.DT Looks good so far to me.

They should change the name of this forum to "So and So will be fine"....

We've been uttering this phrase for 12 years and what we have found more often than not is... no we will NOT be fine.

The last time this team was "fine" in any way was 2000.

Lets get worried when its mid season and hes having issues if there really is any so far.1month of practice with his fellow players and to learn a new system is pretty tough on any1 let alone a 2nd round pick.

I think every rookioe has question marks and can see reasons for xconcern. Last week was ineffective and this week against the first team d was ineffective, looked good agints thier backup defenders though

Back
Top Bottom