Anyone else worried about Thomas | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Anyone else worried about Thomas

I don't know if I would say "worried"...because he's a rookie...and so any "worries" over him are more to me a function of unruly expectations for a rookie.

On the other hand, I've seen now quite a few rookie running backs that have looked more impressive to me in their preseason games than Thomas has looked in his. Quite a few. And not all of them guys that I liked, or would have guessed to look better. I wasn't particularly high on Stevan Ridley or Jamie Harper but both players have shown more to me in preseason than Daniel Thomas has.

I don't know if I would say "worried"...because he's a rookie...and so any "worries" over him are more to me a function of unruly expectations for a rookie.

On the other hand, I've seen now quite a few rookie running backs that have looked more impressive to me in their preseason games than Thomas has looked in his. Quite a few. And not all of them guys that I liked, or would have guessed to look better. I wasn't particularly high on Stevan Ridley or Jamie Harper but both players have shown more to me in preseason than Daniel Thomas has.

Kendell Hunter looked pretty damn good for Sf the other night also.

To the OP:

Ricky is and always will be one of my favorite Dolphins. I never have been a Ronnie fan.

Fact is though, Ricky and Ronnie weren't breaking tackles any more, and their burst was gone. I am happy the Phins upgraded the position with Bush and Thomas.

Well when they were in their 2008 form and even some of 2009. It wasnt really until last season when they really couldnt break any tackles.

I'll wait to judge during the games that matter.

I didnt judge him at all. Im just stating the facts of what we have all seen so far from him. Granted it is his 2nd game and the first game everyone sucked. I am and was expecting to see him break a few runs into the second level for double digit gains.

Kendell Hunter looked pretty damn good for Sf the other night also.

Yes, but that one I expected, and so if I started naming him or some of the others that I liked I get accused of just shilling for guys I liked.

Only the 2nd game, he's a rookie, and he does have 1 good game so far, so we need to give him some time.

Only the 2nd game, he's a rookie, and he does have 1 good game so far, so we need to give him some time.

That's a good point. The Stevan Ridley I saw in Week 2 of the preseason was already better than the Stevan Ridley of Week 1 of the preseason. Same with Delone Carter. Probably Kendall Hunter as well, if the results are any indicator (I saw all of Kendall's Week 2 but not any of his Week 1 so I can't accurately judge improvement).

You never know if by Week 3 of the preseason Daniel Thomas already looks significantly better than he did in Weeks 1 & 2.

They should change the name of this forum to "So and So will be fine"....

We've been uttering this phrase for 12 years and what we have found more often than not is... no we will NOT be fine.

The last time this team was "fine" in any way was 2000.

I think they should change this forum name to " Offer nothing but negativity to and thread and disreguard the subject at hand". Boo-freaking-hoo.

On topic: I think DT showed that he progresses with the more touches he gets, he stated off slow but finished pretty strong imo. If he continues to progress at this rate( from game to game) I think he will be fine.

Idk if anyone saw it, but after they pulled DT at the goalline you could see sparano yelling at him, saying "you can't run straight up like that", so at least its a known problem and they will be working on it. His footwork looks good too, pretty quick.

My biggest beef is he doesn't seem that talented, especially for a 2nd round pick. We need playmakers, guys that turn a simple play into a sportscenter highlight. Just like Ricky did in his heyday. I blame this on the regime. This is their staple: do your job play it safe and maybe the other team screws up. If you look at the elite teams, they go out and make big plays. Most games are won and lost because of big plays. We don't have playmakers on offense or defense (lack of ints). We play it close then in one big play game over. Hopefully, we clean house after the season. So tired of this rebuilding crap.

Who is rebuilding. We rebuilt with JJ, then Saban, then Mueller, this team is rebuilt unless you have been living under a rock or new becoming a fan around here.

That's a good point. The Stevan Ridley I saw in Week 2 of the preseason was already better than the Stevan Ridley of Week 1 of the preseason. Same with Delone Carter. Probably Kendall Hunter as well, if the results are any indicator (I saw all of Kendall's Week 2 but not any of his Week 1 so I can't accurately judge improvement).

You never know if by Week 3 of the preseason Daniel Thomas already looks significantly better than he did in Weeks 1 & 2.

Based on projecting Bush getting hurt this year and Daniel Thomas not the guy who might carry the load or there any backs that the Phins might trade for or pickup in the final cutdown to back DT up in case he falters. IMO they are looking for a scatback combo which leave a Hillard/ Sheets combo as their current backup package which is a little light in the pants IMO>

Really? I haven't. Ingram hasn't shown much at all, other than being a good goal line back which we all knew. Alex Green did nothing for the Packers the other night. Ridley is doing well, as are all the NE backs...they are benefiting from the NE offense looking much more prepared than the defenses they are facing. Leshoure and Ryan Williams are out for the year, DeMarco Murray has hamstring issues. Shane Vereen is hurt, and there's already talk he won't make the Pats roster.

Of the rookie backs I've seen or at least noticed in box scores, it would be Ridley, Hunter and Roy Helu that have stood out, and I think Ridley is benefiting from the system in NE. Hunter is a guy I'm high on as well, and I still think we should have drafted two backs. But I'm not sure he's good for more than 10 carries a game, and given that Miami wanted to move on from Ricky and Ronnie, they needed a guy who could take on a significant workload right away.

We all know that DT runs too high. But I love his vision and balance. I feel good about the pick and was encouraged by what I saw Friday night, but I've been wrong plenty of times.

Really? I haven't. Ingram hasn't shown much at all, other than being a good goal line back which we all knew. Alex Green did nothing for the Packers the other night. Ridley is doing well, as are all the NE backs...they are benefiting from the NE offense looking much more prepared than the defenses they are facing. Leshoure and Ryan Williams are out for the year, DeMarco Murray has hamstring issues. Shane Vereen is hurt, and there's already talk he won't make the Pats roster.

You bring up good points. None of those guys were the guys I had in mind, though.

Of the rookie backs I've seen or at least noticed in box scores, it would be Ridley, Hunter and Roy Helu that have stood out, and I think Ridley is benefiting from the system in NE. Hunter is a guy I'm high on as well, and I still think we should have drafted two backs. But I'm not sure he's good for more than 10 carries a game, and given that Miami wanted to move on from Ricky and Ronnie, they needed a guy who could take on a significant workload right away.

We all know that DT runs too high. But I love his vision and balance. I feel good about the pick and was encouraged by what I saw Friday night, but I've been wrong plenty of times.

Some of the guys I have in mind include Ridley and Kendall Hunter, but also guys like Delone Carter who I think has shown more than Daniel Thomas already...Jamie Harper. I don't know about Roy Helu. I haven't watched him but someone I know and trust has and thought his performance very overrated. I liked what I saw out of Dion Lewis. I liked what I saw out of DuJuan Harris. Guys that I have heard good things about but still have to watch include Jacquizz Rodgers, Jordan Todman, Armond Smith, Evan Royster, Darren Evans, and of course Mark Ingram.

To me he seems like a slower version of Ronnie Brown. For their size neither of them are "power" running backs. They are big finesse runners.

I will also remember Ronnie Brown spinning and often backing into the LOS on short yardage plays. I have not seen that out of D Thomas which is a plus.

I would not count on either D Thomas or R Bush. But both of them can make a backfield work.

Back
Top Bottom