Anyone else worried about Thomas | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Anyone else worried about Thomas

I still think Daniel Thomas is Learning how to be an NFL "pound it" back, instead of a college "pound it" back. He's still adjusting to the speed of the game, and the differences in techniques of lineman and defenses, and how the holes are opened, and blocks are set up. He'll get it in time, as long as Thomas works at it.

I've actually seen, on a different forum, of which i will not name, people want to see the RB Depth Chart like this: 1. R. Bush, 2. L. Hilliard, 3. D. Thomas. Just because Hilliard "offers more power than Thomas right now." I say that we need to keep DT #2 because he's not 100% used to the NFL-style game yet. If he continues to struggle running hard around mid-season...then I'll start to worry, but until then, I'll personally give him time to get used to the Speed of the NFL.

You bring up good points. None of those guys were the guys I had in mind, though.

Some of the guys I have in mind include Ridley and Kendall Hunter, but also guys like Delone Carter who I think has shown more than Daniel Thomas already...Jamie Harper. I don't know about Roy Helu. I haven't watched him but someone I know and trust has and thought his performance very overrated. I liked what I saw out of Dion Lewis. I liked what I saw out of DuJuan Harris. Guys that I have heard good things about but still have to watch include Jacquizz Rodgers, Jordan Todman, Armond Smith, Evan Royster, Darren Evans, and of course Mark Ingram.

Ridley has looked good, but the Patriots are using him really smartly, too. He's gifted out of the backfield, out on the perimeter and in short yardage, and that's all they're having him do. I haven't seen him run up the middle with success yet and I have my doubts (going back to when I evaluated him coming out) whether he has the vision for it. Then again, this is what the Patriots do, put their guys in position to do what they do well. The predictability is something they just seem to get away with. The backfield situation in New England is really going to be something to watch. A talented player is going to shake loose from there, I think.

I haven't seen all the rookie backs because I've mostly been sticking to watch the first halves of games and trying to watch them all. But Jacquizz is one I have seen and I think he's looked pretty poor. The quickness really hasn't been there. I agree that Dion Lewis has looked impressive. He's actually looked the most physically impressive to me of all the backs on the Eagles. He's a really good fit for that team.

Ingram has looked good, but not spectacular. He and Pierre Thomas are basically a wash to me right now. I have the 49ers game of the queue and will be watching it later. The Redskins game comes on NFL Network in an hour and I'll be watching that game with much interest, for varied and obvious reasons.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep I was thinking that they would take 2 backs also which was a trade mark of how they drafted before Bill Parcells left. Of course with just 6 picks 3 in the last 2 rounds sure takes away the amuntition you need to make that happen. Anyway CK anyone out there that you think the phins may bring in as insurance or do you project them staying put with the runners we have. Anyone else is welcom to chime in also.

i'll be laughing my *** off if ridley gets cut cus of numbers game or even PS.

Ridley has looked good, but the Patriots are using him really smartly, too. He's gifted out of the backfield, out on the perimeter and in short yardage, and that's all they're having him do. I haven't seen him run up the middle with success yet and I have my doubts (going back to when I evaluated him coming out) whether he has the vision for it. Then again, this is what the Patriots do, put their guys in position to do what they do well. The predictability is something they just seem to get away with. The backfield situation in New England is really going to be something to watch. A talented player is going to shake loose from there, I think.

I haven't seen all the rookie backs because I've mostly been sticking to watch the first halves of games and trying to watch them all. But Jacquizz is one I have seen and I think he's looked pretty poor. The quickness really hasn't been there. I agree that Dion Lewis has looked impressive. He's actually looked the most physically impressive to me of all the backs on the Eagles. He's a really good fit for that team.

Ingram has looked good, but not spectacular. He and Pierre Thomas are basically a wash to me right now. I have the 49ers game of the queue and will be watching it later. The Redskins game comes on NFL Network in an hour and I'll be watching that game with much interest, for varied and obvious reasons.

Cool. Thanks for the input on the guys I haven't really paid much attention to. As for Ridley, I agree on his strengths and weaknesses, especially in that Week 1 game against the Jaguars. What disturbed me is that by Week 2 I saw a lot better vision for normal runs between the tackles, cutback runs, stretch runs, etc. He'd already improved, and that was kind of disturbing.

---------- Post added at 03:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:52 PM ----------

i'll be laughing my *** off if ridley gets cut cus of numbers game or even PS.

Actually it's Shane Vereen everyone up there is really unhappy with, that some of the local writers are even saying could be cut...crazy as it sounds.

Cool. Thanks for the input on the guys I haven't really paid much attention to. As for Ridley, I agree on his strengths and weaknesses, especially in that Week 1 game against the Jaguars. What disturbed me is that by Week 2 I saw a lot better vision for normal runs between the tackles, cutback runs, stretch runs, etc. He'd already improved, and that was kind of disturbing.

---------- Post added at 03:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:52 PM ----------

Actually it's Shane Vereen everyone up there is really unhappy with, that some of the local writers are even saying could be cut...crazy as it sounds.

doesn really matter does it? its like lets pick up evelyn woodhead and make him a star. i mean, if you were bernie parmalee you would be astar on this team.

yeah, just peeked at the depth chart: RB Woodhead, Faulk, Benjarvis GE, Shane Vereen, Ridley, and two other guys. its not far fetched. It just really makes me wonder why BB doesnt trade major picks and go get a legit starter for years to come. i mean really, ochocinco and Rich fatman, and twelve other guys of whom 2/3rd wont be on team.

Its almost like BB is doing other teams a favor. no wonder he looks good getting trades.

Sometimes I think Belichick really believes that if he's made the right pick in a draft, he's going to know it very quickly like right away in his first camp. And so he doesn't mind putting a bunch of guys together knowing he'll have to cut some.

i think its he doesnt mind looking like a genius in media eyes in draft but really not all that. He found gem in Brady, rest is history. He scores just enough to get by. But isnt that why they have not been back to big game in a few years? Alot of guys do very well in that system, go somehwere else, and basically become reasonably invisible.

Which brings me back to Mallett....dude aint playin. whats the point? he is doing it for future picks or he does the unthinkable and trades Brady at end of career. That would be to me like trading Marino after all you did for the franchise.

Really? We must have a different definition of rebuilding. If this team does not win, the coach and his staff are fired along with Ireland and some of his staff. And if we don't win, it will likely be on Henne so his days of starting is gone (and he may be cut). Thus, in 2012, you would have an entirely new coaching staff and GM and a rookie QB. To me if you are not set at QB and have a new coaching staff, and haven't made the playoffs, you are rebuilding. I agree with you if you define "rebuilt" as going 7-9, 8-8 every damn year and missing the playoffs. Being rebuilt is when you are able to put a consistent contender on the field every year (a la Pats, Jets, Steelers, Colts, Falcons) (that makes the playoffs and wins a game or two there) and that starts with a quality QB, coach, and GM. The jury will finish deliberating after this season and we shall have a verdict on the aforementioned trifecta.

Who is rebuilding. We rebuilt with JJ, then Saban, then Mueller, this team is rebuilt unless you have been living under a rock or new becoming a fan around here.

I thought I heard somebody say that Daniel Thomas was a QB at one point? well he really looks like a QB when he runs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCsgxRveJjg

Looking at his weight I thought he'd be a power back. breaking tackles, running people over, and thats not the case at all. he tries to make people miss.
its not a bad thing, he just won't punish any defense physically and I think all teams need that. luckily those kind of guys aren't hard to find at all

If I were Miami I'd go with a three back rotation. Hilliard being the short yardage, 4th Q burn clock type RB.

Thomas has qualities that cant be coached, vision and instincts.. He is as fast as Ronnie but much quicker..His fumbleitis can be cured ie-Tiki Barber. Only thing that concerns me is his upright running style, not a bad thing i guess if your Eddie George.. Good thing is he isnt a RB comming out of college with a history of Injuries.

I don't think Thomas is ready to carry the responsibilities of starting at RB. Bush has to be the guy back there leading the way for sure. Thomas shows that he is still learning. But you never know when it will click for him. And he looks good out there when he does it right. For now, he needs to follow Bush's lead and make the most of his reps.

Thomas has to start running with a lower center of gravity. He stands pretty straight up, and it has worked well for him in the past, but this is a different league. Other than that I like what I'm seeing from him thus far.

I know he had a good ypc avg this game but so far I'm a little worried about him as he hasn't looked all that impressive. First he doesn't look like the big bruising inside runner we were looking for. He is listed with good height and weight but he looks very skinny and lanky when he out there his legs look skinny and his arms looks small. So far he also doesn't seem to be able to break tackles like Ricky and Ronnie did which is something he will need to do in playing this crap ground and pound Sparano adores. So far I'm not very impressed and am worried he may not produce. Remember there is not really a learning curve for RBs in the NFL. Good ones usually come in and produce right away.

Danny Woodhead, NE, you worried about him to that he is smaller then anything or anyone in the NFL ? Your observations are completely absurd to put it mildly.

Finally got to watch Roy Helu and Delone Carter today. Helu was not a guy I liked coming out and that continued. He has some natural power thanks to a really good size/speed combination that leads to a bit of tackle breaking ability but his lateral quickness and escapability leaves a lot to be desired. He also runs upright, not unlike Daniel Thomas. He has a bit of speed (though his game speed doesn't match his timed speed) but basically I don't see much there. He still looks more like an athlete playing running back than a running back who's an athlete. Not a fan. The undrafted guy out of UNC -- Shaun Draughn -- actually looked to me to be the much more talented back between he and Helu. Even though his workout numbers are worse than Helu's in nearly every way, he looked quicker, faster and showed a more natural sense of how to break tackles (this despite the decidedly underwhelming stat line of 8 carries for 14 yards). If that guy gets cut in favor of the more highly drafted Helu I hope we put in a claim. There's something there.

Carter, I thought, also looked much better than Helu. He has the ability to stick his foot in the ground, is a much better tackle breaker and has the natural escapability to go along with good power. He looked much more straight-lineish to me at Syracuse but I liked his lateral quickness against the Redskins. Reminds me a bit of a more talented Mike Tolbert, or a smaller Michael Turner.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom