3) Va Tech
4) Alabama
5) Georgia
6) LSU
7) UCLA
8) Notre Dame
9) Miami
10) Penn State

texas tech may have played the easiest 6 games in the history of college fotball, and i doubt they'll do anything against texas

Fresno St. back in the top 25 :cpatch:

kastofsna120 said:
1. USC (57) 6-0
2. Texas (8) 6-0
3. Virginia Tech 6-0
4. Georgia 6-0
5. Alabama 6-0
6. Miami 5-1
7. LSU 4-1
8. UCLA 6-0
9. Notre Dame
10. Texas Tech 6-0
11. Florida State 5-1
12. Penn State 6-1
13. Boston College 6-1
14. Ohio State 4-2
15. Oregon 6-1
16. Auburn 5-1
17. Tennessee 3-2
18. Florida 5-2
19. Wisconsin 6-1
20. West Virginia 6-1
21. TCU 6-1
22. Michigan State 4-2
23. Virginia 4-2
24. Fresno State 4-1
25. California 5-2

miami's the highest ranked 1-loss team :D. here's the top 10 i'd make:

1) USC
2) Texas
3) Va Tech
4) Alabama
5) Georgia
6) LSU
7) UCLA
8) Notre Dame
9) Miami
10) Penn State

texas tech may have played the easiest 6 games in the history of college fotball, and i doubt they'll do anything against texas

My top 10

1. USC
2. Texas
3. Alabama
4. VA Tech
5. Georgia
6. UCLA
7. Miami
8. Notre Dame
9. LSU
10. Penn State

kastofsna120 said:
miami's the highest ranked 1-loss team :D. here's the top 10 i'd make:

1) USC
2) Texas
3) Va Tech
4) Alabama
5) Georgia
6) LSU
7) UCLA
8) Notre Dame
9) Miami
10) Penn State

Personally, I hate the fact USC will be #1 until they lose. Texas and VA Tech get screwed because USC was the preseason #1 and won the championship last year. I dont think they are the team to beat this year. IMO because USC was the preseason #1 they will remain #1 until they lose. I hope they are #3 in the BCS standings.

Philter25 said:
Personally, I hate the fact USC will be #1 until they lose. Texas and VA Tech get screwed because USC was the preseason #1 and won the championship last year. I dont think they are the team to beat this year. IMO because USC was the preseason #1 they will remain #1 until they lose. I hope they are #3 in the BCS standings.

Not to mention that Texas and VT have pretty much manhandled their opponents (with the exception of maybe the Texas/Ohio State game) and USC has struggled a whole bunch. Yeah, they get the win, somehow, and that may be all that matters, but Texas and VT win BIG.

Agent51 said:
Not to mention that Texas and VT have pretty much manhandled their opponents (with the exception of maybe the Texas/Ohio State game) and USC has struggled a whole bunch. Yeah, they get the win, somehow, and that may be all that matters, but Texas and VT win BIG.

Exactly. USC has been struggling and has played in too close games over the past few weeks. The #1 team in the nation should be blowing out the much weaker teams in the PAC10.

Im all for eliminating preseason polls. USC would be 3rd in the nation if they were not pre-ranked #1 IMO.

Just to clarify, I dont think USC is a bad team, I just think they arent the best team in the nation this year and have been handed the #1 ranking every week because of preseason polls. I would take Texas or VA Tech over them this year if all 3 teams go undefeated.

PSUFinFan said:
Am I the only one who thinks Northwestern should be ranked?

If they beat Mich State next week, they will be. They are a top 30 team, not top 25. I hope they beat Michigan State next week cause that give Penn State a little wiggle room going into the last game of the season.

You guys doubt USC but the fact of the matter is Notre Dame took it to usc but notre dame was living on the edge in that game...they were playing seriously inspired football cause of the coaching from Charlie Weis. Neither Texas or Va tech matches up good against usc...and if thats who ends up playing them in the championship game then you could see results just like last year

Philter25 said:
Exactly. USC has been struggling and has played in too close games over the past few weeks. The #1 team in the nation should be blowing out the much weaker teams in the PAC10.

Im all for eliminating preseason polls. USC would be 3rd in the nation if they were not pre-ranked #1 IMO.

Just to clarify, I dont think USC is a bad team, I just think they arent the best team in the nation this year and have been handed the #1 ranking every week because of preseason polls. I would take Texas or VA Tech over them this year if all 3 teams go undefeated.
if the rankings came out this week, and there were no preseason polls, USC would be #1. the defending champ will always get the #1 vote if they're undefeated

kastofsna120 said:
if the rankings came out this week, and there were no preseason polls, USC would be #1. the defending champ will always get the #1 vote if they're undefeated

ehh. Not necessarily although its hard to disprove because we have had the preseason rankings.

Off the top of my head.......In 2002, I believe Ohio State won the national championship. However in 2003, Ohio State dropped down in the polls in consecutive weeks despite remaining undefeated. They were the defending champ and undefeated and fell in the polls after winning.

Its the preseason rankings that are keeping USC at #1. Teams change so much after a year so its hard to say that its because they are the defending champs.

Philter25 said:
ehh. Not necessarily although its hard to disprove because we have had the preseason rankings.

Off the top of my head.......In 2002, I believe Ohio State won the national championship. However in 2003, Ohio State dropped down in the polls in consecutive weeks despite remaining undefeated. They were the defending champ and undefeated and fell in the polls after winning.

Its the preseason rankings that are keeping USC at #1. Teams change so much after a year so its hard to say that its because they are the defending champs.
well ohio state was looked at as a fluke for their championship, so they were pretty disrespected after that. USC however had a ridiculous amount of hype since they won last year, and with a ton of players returning, they would be #1 now regardless, especially the day after the notre dame win

USC has survived three games in a row and now has a cupcake schedule...only UCLA has a shot to beat them. The one problem with college football is that once you assume a position, you typically don't lose it until you lose a game. In this case, the rankings are probably stunted because of it.

texas's schedule and USC's are pretty equal. i'd give the edge to USC, though. oregon, arizona state, cal, ucla, fresno state, notre dame...all tough teams to beat, and 4 of those games are on the road

kastofsna120 said:
well ohio state was looked at as a fluke for their championship, so they were pretty disrespected after that. USC however had a ridiculous amount of hype since they won last year, and with a ton of players returning, they would be #1 now regardless, especially the day after the notre dame win

Fluke or not, they were the defending champ and they were undefeated and still dropped in the rankings after wins. Im sure its happened before, but that was just an example off the top of my head.

Anyway its impossible to prove or disprove because we havent had a season without a preseason ranked #1 team. I agree USC had a ton of hype, however they did lose 3 monster DTs and their defense is suspect. They were not returning everyone.

Personally, I think if there were no preseason rankings, after Texas beat OSU, they would have been the #1 team in the nation. Texas has destroyed every team its played since then. Every one of UT's games have been over as soon as the game was kicked off. Texas has destroyed every team it should have and beat a top 5 team in OSU AT OSU..... USC has struggled against some teams it should have destroyed and barely beat Notre Dame. I agree with you though, I would give USC's schedule a slight edge over Texas', but that edge is EXTREMELY slight and IMO doesnt give enough leway for the close games USC has played.

Without the preseason rankings, USC wouldnt be getting 57 first place votes and Texas only 8.

Performance wise and victories over stronger opponents, you have to give the edge to Texas as of now. I cant wait for Texas Tech next week, im hoping thats a high scoring shootout.

I have no argument for VA Tech because they are beating up on crap teams. We will see how they do against BC and Miami in the upcoming 2 weeks. Fortunately for Tech, both games are at home so they have a good chance at running the table also.

Like Rwhitney said, once you have that top spot, basically the only way off is with a loss. They could win every game by 3 points in OT the rest of the year and Texas can win by 50 every game and USC would still remain the #1 team because of the preseason rankings giving USC the top spot before they played a game.

Back
Top Bottom