AP top 25 | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

AP top 25

Cuban Dave 9 said:
It pisses me off that when Florida loses against 2 current top 10 teams, teams like ohio state, tennessee, and Notre Dame are ranked ahead...what is the deal with that?
because they're better teams i guess. you can't be ranked ahead of every team you beat

Philter25 said:
Like I said before, I agree USC has a SLIGHTLY harder schedule. I disagree though that Notre Dame is better than OSU. They are both excellent teams and im not trying to take anything away from Notre Dame, but OSU is one of the best defenses in the nation and a much harder team to score on.

Texas' only tough games coming up are Texas Tech, which I agree might be overrated based on who they played and they should have NEVER won that Nebraska game last week, and then whoever they play in the Big12 championship game. Its not Texas' fault that the Big12 is horribly weak this year and its not USC's fault that the Pac10 is weak also.

My point was that USC wouldnt be a runaway first place vote if there were no preseason rankings. Like said before, when you are #1 you pretty much stay there until you lose, which I think is BS and brings me to my next point:

Technically they DO, just not directly. And thats because of the preseason rankings and the fact that USC hasnt lost yet. When you are #1 in the coaches and AP polls, you should be #1 in the BCS. Like I said before, the #1 team usually does fall from #1 until they lose. When you are anointed #1 at the start of the season, its a HUGE blessing over the other top power teams because THEY need you to lose to move up.

As of RIGHT NOW THIS WEEK how Texas and USC have played, USC should NOT be a clear cut #1 team. Its because of the preseason rankings.
I wasn't talking about the BCS rankings as a whole, I was talking about the computer rankings that go into the BCS. Those rankings make up a third of the BCS equation and have no input other than what has happened so far this season. They are a more accurate depiction of who has had the better season so far and not so much who the better team is. For example Notre Dame is a good team by all accounts, but they are not very high in the computer rankings do to them losing their only two home games and not having beaten any quality opponents. Meanwhile a team like Penn State, who is ranked below Notre Dame in both polls, is higher in the computer poll due to beating OSU and Minnesota and only losing one road game.

Philter25 said:
I never said anything about Oklahomas defense last year. Maybe thats why my points dont make sense to you. :lol: :goof:

What did I post that doesnt make sense? I am doubting that they are the hands down best team in the nation. They almost lost last week! I think they are beatable. They have proven that over the last couple of weeks that their defense IS suspect and they are not as dominant as they were last year. I dont need to make a point about that, USC already has shown it in MORE than 1 game this year. :lol:

Standford and Cal both almost beat them last year. And i'm talking last minute USC drives that won the game. Dude they cant be beat

PSUFinFan said:
I wasn't talking about the BCS rankings as a whole, I was talking about the computer rankings that go into the BCS. Those rankings make up a third of the BCS equation and have no input other than what has happened so far this season. They are a more accurate depiction of who has had the better season so far and not so much who the better team is. For example Notre Dame is a good team by all accounts, but they are not very high in the computer rankings do to them losing their only two home games and not having beaten any quality opponents. Meanwhile a team like Penn State, who is ranked below Notre Dame in both polls, is higher in the computer poll due to beating OSU and Minnesota and only losing one road game.

Ah. I thought you meant BCS as a whole and I thought to myself "wtf is he talking about, the polls are 1/3 of the bcs." :lol:

Isnt Texas ranked ahead of USC in 2 of the computers? I forget which ones but I think I recall at least one where Texas was ranked ahead and then either 1 or 2 where Georgia was ranked ahead of them. Also whats going to be interesting to see is if VA Tech can jump over Texas if they beat BC, Miami, and Virginia.

Its a shame Penn State lost that last second game to Michigan. I think with their strength of schedule they would have throw around some crap in the BCS final standings. Good examples with Penn State and Notre Dame. ND isnt even ranked in some computers I believe.

Also, correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the computers didnt take into consideration margin of victory? That to me IS important and is my biggest knock against USC. If they win every game by 4th quarter comebacks by 1 point or else they destroy each team by 50, I think the computers record it as the same outcome.

If they have been slaughtering every team they played, I would have no trouble with them getting every first place vote and would recognize them as the hands down best team in the nation. However they have shown they are vulnerable over the last few weeks where I have yet to see any chinks in Texas's or VA Tech's armor.

Back on the original debate: I still hate the preseason rankings. ;)

Buddwalk said:
Standford and Cal both almost beat them last year. And i'm talking last minute USC drives that won the game. Dude they cant be beat

This is college, teams change drastically year from year. Look at Oklahoma. #2 in the Nation to one of the worst teams in the Big12. You cant judge a team based on what it did last year. USC lost some key defensive tackles from last years team. USC can be beat. Notre Dame was one play away from proving that.

kastofsna120 said:
and that's it

Who are their current coordinators?

Losing all of your starting DT's is a big loss. Those guys were excellent at run stuffing and pass rushing. I havent had a chance to look at the guys they have in now. You lose your DTs you become vulnerable to good running teams and good running teams will gameplan around that and try to exploit that weakness.

Once again, just to clarify, I dont think USC stinks. I just dont think they would be the clear cut #1 team in the POLLS if it wasnt for the preseason rankings and I do think they are vulnerable. Right now, I think they match up very well with Texas and VA Tech and Georgia and Alabama and they would beat them in a head to head. However based on how they have played this year, I wouldnt label them as the clear cut #1 team in the nation over Texas.

Heck, VA Tech might destroy BC, Miami, and Virginia and I might have an argument for Tech in a few weeks.

Philter25 said:
Who are their current coordinators?
i have no clue whatsoever. did they get a new defensive coordinator? i know norm chow is gone, but that hasn't made a difference. leinart makes tons of changes at the line anyway

kastofsna120 said:
i have no clue whatsoever. did they get a new defensive coordinator? i know norm chow is gone, but that hasn't made a difference. leinart makes tons of changes at the line anyway

Chow is who I was talking about. Chow was another loss though I dont think its as important as losing Cody, Patterson, and Wright. They also lost Lofa Tatupu but I cant remember who drafted him right now........ All were key players in their run defense.

I was just making a point that this isnt the same exact team we saw last year and that teams change year from year and you cant judge a team based on its previous year. USC's offense should still put up 34 points a game on any defense, however its defense is suspect and I think if they run into a team that has a good running attack and can control the time of posession, they might give USC problems.

kastofsna120 said:
because they're better teams i guess. you can't be ranked ahead of every team you beat
I agree with that...except for UTenn...but I just think S.O.S. (strength of schedule) should be very important in rankings, especially BCS. Florida has gone through a tough season and there are still 2 tough competitions left (FSU and UGA). When you look at a team like Texas Tech (who has not had much competition) or FSU (who lost to an unranked team), it seams like it is not taken to account.

Cuban Dave 9 said:
I agree with that...except for UTenn...but I just think S.O.S. (strength of schedule) should be very important in rankings, especially BCS. Florida has gone through a tough season and there are still 2 tough competitions left (FSU and UGA). When you look at a team like Texas Tech (who has not had much competition) or FSU (who lost to an unranked team), it seams like it is not taken to account.

You cant rank teams based on WHO they play. Its the strength of the schedule for who they have already played. Look at the BCS computer rankings, all COMPUTERS have Florida ranked in the high teens, from 17-20ish. One computer doesnt even have them ranked. Florida is a 2 loss team and is ranked right where they should be.

UTenn is ranked from 14th to not even ranked in the computers.

With your logic, Michigan should be ranked over Penn State because they beat them. Minnesota should be ranked over Michigan because they beat them. And Penn State should be ranked over Minnesota because they beat them. Which leads me to my point that this ranking system is impossible because it translates into a circle instead of a ranking list.

Ranking in college sucks. There is never a system that everyone can agree with. There will probably be another SEC team left in the cold

Cuban Dave 9 said:
Ranking in college sucks. There is never a system that everyone can agree with. There will probably be another SEC team left in the cold

Nope there wont be. And yes, as long as there is a conference called the BigEast, the BCS in college will suck with its current format.

The SEC wont be left in the cold. They should have at least 2 teams in the BCS this year..... Georgia, Alabama, LSU, Auburn. 2 of these teams should make the BCS this year.

Back
Top Bottom