Apparently it is Smith or a trade | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Apparently it is Smith or a trade

people, its a smokescreen. You think we are SERIOUSLY going to tell everyone who we are going to draft so they can plan accordingly? I dont think so. If we say Smith, its because we feel teams below us might have an interest in Smith because there are only 2 highly rated QBs in this draft..... If we bluff with anyone, its going to be Smith because this is a deep RB draft, we cant bluff with a RB when there are 3 rated as top 5 athletes and we cant bluff with WR, because there are 2 rated high. Therefore, the position we can bluff with is QB because if SF takes Rodgers, there is only ONE legit QB left on board.

BlueFin said:
My feeling is it will have to be an offer that is at least equal to the trade down chart, I really think Saban is high on this kid and will not let hin go for less.

That being said, Tampa really can't afford to give up that much so I think we have a new quarterback.

It should be telling that a noted quarterback guru like Gruden is so high on Smith.

Absolutely! Tampa Bay will have to give up the 36th pick and either the 71st pick or a second round pick next year to get this pick. If not, then Miami will stay at #2 and take their guy, which may or may not actually be Alex Smith.

4U2NV said:
If Saban didn't trust Feeley then why did he name him the starter a couple months back? And if he was thinking of drafting a QB at 2 then why did we spend money to bring in Gus? It doesn't make much sense to me.

apparently you did not watch Schefter's interview with AJ on Total Access a few weeks back. Even Feeley himself admitted that he was never told directly by Saban that he was the starter. Straight from the horse's mouth.

and isn't it funny how all these people say the QB talk at 2 is all a smokescreen? The same people who don't want to see us draft a Q at 2? I find that really funny, because if you swapped Smith with Edwards, Benson, or Brown, all these guys would be like, "Is it cool that Saban is really interested in this guys? I hope we get him!" Instead, it's a smokecreen. :rolleyes:

Dudeman said:
apparently you did not watch Schefter's interview with AJ on Total Access a few weeks back. Even Feeley himself admitted that he was never told directly by Saban that he was the starter. Straight from the horse's mouth.

and isn't it funny how all these people say the QB talk at 2 is all a smokescreen? The same people who don't want to see us draft a Q at 2? I find that really funny, because if you swapped Smith with Edwards, Benson, or Brown, all these guys would be like, "Is it cool that Saban is really interested in this guys? I hope we get him!" Instead, it's a smokecreen. :rolleyes:

Personally, I think its a smokescreen for the reasons listed above in my post. Its the only smokescreen that you can bluff. And for the record, I dont want to draft anyone at #2. :lol: I want to trade down and acquire an early 2nd rounder and latter picks.

If we draft Smith, thats great. He is young (I think hes 20) so IMO he will ride the bench for a year and we can have another 4-12 season with holes at RB, WR, and S and let our defense age another year and have 4 QBs on the roster. If he turns into a superstar 2-3 years down the line, then I guess it will be worth sitting through 2-3 losing years.

BlueFin said:
My feeling is it will have to be an offer that is at least equal to the trade down chart, I really think Saban is high on this kid and will not let hin go for less.

That being said, Tampa really can't afford to give up that much so I think we have a new quarterback.

It should be telling that a noted quarterback guru like Gruden is so high on Smith.

Yes...exactly 100% correct. This was my first thought when Tampa became interested in moving up to select Alex Smith..."It should be telling that a noted quarterback guru like Gruden is so high on Smith." Well, maybe not in that exact way but I said...if Gruden is so high on this kid...he must have mad skills.

Personally, I would like to trade out of the 2nd pick. If we could get Tampa's 1st, 2nd, and 3rd...for our 1st...that would be awesome. But than again...I say to myself...maybe Alex Smith is the real deal and worth that #2 selection...it's a tough situation...no doubt. I don't know if you remember this BlueFin but in another thread...we both felt that Alex Smith was Saban's choice all along...him or Braylon Edwards...that's what I've said. Pluse we both discussed in other threads that Linehan recruited Smith and that there was a family connection there. I can't wait for the draft!!!

GO FINS!!!

I will be happy if we make this trade...so long as we get value chart picks (TB picks 1,2 and 3). We'd have Picks #'s:

Rd1 = 5
Rd2 = 36
Rd3 = 70
Rd3 = 71

All in day 1. I like this. :)

Philter25 said:
Personally, I think its a smokescreen for the reasons listed above in my post. Its the only smokescreen that you can bluff. And for the record, I dont want to draft anyone at #2. :lol: I want to trade down and acquire an early 2nd rounder and latter picks.

If we draft Smith, thats great. He is young (I think hes 20) so IMO he will ride the bench for a year and we can have another 4-12 season with holes at RB, WR, and S and let our defense age another year and have 4 QBs on the roster. If he turns into a superstar 2-3 years down the line, then I guess it will be worth sitting through 2-3 losing years.

I totally agree...taking Smith who is at least 2-3 years from being a starting QB now with the 2nd pick would be plain stupid for the Dolphins.

Sal Lisitano said:
Yes...exactly 100% correct. This was my first thought when Tampa became interested in moving up to select Alex Smith..."It should be telling that a noted quarterback guru like Gruden is so high on Smith." Well, maybe not in that exact way but I said...if Gruden is so high on this kid...he must have mad skills.

Personally, I would like to trade out of the 2nd pick. If we could get Tampa's 1st, 2nd, and 3rd...for our 1st...that would be awesome. But than again...I say to myself...maybe Alex Smith is the real deal and worth that #2 selection...it's a tough situation...no doubt. I don't know if you remember this BlueFin but in another thread...we both felt that Alex Smith was Saban's choice all along...him or Braylon Edwards...that's what I've said. Pluse we both discussed in other threads that Linehan recruited Smith and that there was a family connection there. I can't wait for the draft!!!

GO FINS!!!

Telling? Isn't he the same coach that selected Simms...a player he should have known that couldn't play QB in a west coast offense....isn't he the same coach that just had Griese re-signed? Yea...he's smart alright.

fishypete said:
I totally agree...taking Smith who is at least 2-3 years from being a starting QB now with the 2nd pick would be plain stupid for the Dolphins.

Not if we're 2-3 years away from a serious title run. Saban has said repeatedly this team is a longterm work in progress.

Qb is more important than Wr look at Patriots they have Elite qb Brady and 3 average widerecievers Patten,Brown,Givens and they are all cheap.

Saban is from the Belichick mold he's not gonna give BIG money to a reciever like Mike Williams or Braylon Edwards, Chambers and Booker are overpaid as it is.
You can equally get Rosco Parish or MAtt Jones as an equally servicable #3 wr with 2nd round pick. As for the running game Ricky Williams wud come back for veteran minimum and we wud draft Gore and sum1 to be his emergency backup.
True this is a deep RB draft as you can see the Broncos do not need a superstar everyback they have can have 1,000 yards.

Mike Maylock on playbook sed QB and LT are the "Biggest Value" postions of offense the other day Saban sed we cud draft a player who has "longterm value" to the organization regardless of need so you do the math :p

DrAstroZoom said:
Not if we're 2-3 years away from a serious title run. Saban has said repeatedly this team is a longterm work in progress.
very, very good point.

Ive always though that about Smith, that he is at least 2 years away. But you are spot on Doc, this team is 2-3 years away itself.

finsnchips said:
very, very good point.

Ive always though that about Smith, that he is at least 2 years away. But you are spot on Doc, this team is 2-3 years away itself.

And for what it's worth, I think Smith will develop sooner rather than later.

DrAstroZoom said:

Even longer if you start wasting picks on players who will sit and not play.

Back
Top Bottom