Apparently it is Smith or a trade | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Apparently it is Smith or a trade

DrAstroZoom said:
And for what it's worth, I think Smith will develop sooner rather than later.
long term, smith is the better option than rodgers. he (smith) should pick up the playbook quickly.

BlueFin said:
Imagine the Dolphins in Tampa's position.....they have a team very similar to ours, they are aging, we probably have more talent that they do, they have needs all over the team, runningback, they have only one wide receiver, bad O-line, holes in the defense.

If the Dolphins were picking #5, could we really trade away our second rounder, our third rounder at a minimum to move up three spots?

No, Gruden is flirting with it to see if he can steal it, once the realization settles in that it will cost dearly he will be perfectly happy to add Mike Williams to complement Michael Clayton....count on it.

I think this post is dead on. He's trying to steal it.

What's really telling (but doesn't get press) is that Gruden can't be on Chris Simms. He wouldn't lock up Griese and contemplate moving up for Smith if he felt Simms was the answer.

The other "Gruden guys" will be there at #5 (Mike & Cadillac Williams). I think he'll take the big Tampa-native WR and then grab someone like J.J. Arrington later. Tampa has 12 picks (including two 3rds).

fishypete said:
Even longer if you start wasting picks on players who will sit and not play.

By your logic, not team should ever draft a QB first unless he's ready to play immediately. That's absurd.

that pick would really piss me off. we need a running back first. now i was all for Benson but then after careful consideration jumped into the Brown bandwagon. a QB will take a few years to develope . Not unless you get a gem like Big Ben ( wich the odds of that happening are very slim ).Rb is the way to go .the only way I would like this pick is if we trade for either Alexander or James.

This team could be in the play-off hunt next year.

No team in the league is two or three years away from contending.

Parity is alive and well. If you have NFL players on your team, you've got a chance to be good. Worst to first is not an anomaly anymore.

It might be two or three years until Saban makes this 'his" team but, that doesn't mean that he can't use the talent that we have to win now.

Is anyone a little bothered by the fact that it was said Condon is the hardest Agent in football, and that he could demand more at #2 then Rodgers at #1, ala Eli Manning last year, where he got sickly numbers. I wouldn;t do it, if Smith fails, there goes our cap for the next 5 years.

fishypete said:
Even longer if you start wasting picks on players who will sit and not play.

True but you can say the samething about other qbs in this draft. If anything Smith shud pick up offense faster than other qb's. He might beat out Ferrote or Feeley in training camp for all we know and start the season.

Phinsdude said:
Is anyone a little bothered by the fact that it was said Condon is the hardest Agent in football, and that he could demand more at #2 then Rodgers at #1, ala Eli Manning last year, where he got sickly numbers. I wouldn;t do it, if Smith fails, there goes our cap for the next 5 years.

I know thats why I sed IF fins tradedown for Cedric or Brown or widereciever id be equally fine with that too thou :/ we dont know how much #2 pick wud cost anyway im not a GM but usually #2 picks are expensive regardless of postion

DrAstroZoom said:
By your logic, not team should ever draft a QB first unless he's ready to play immediately. That's absurd.

I didn't say the Dolphins shouldn't draft a QB...I said they shouldn't waste the 2nd pick on a QB....big difference.

inFINSible said:
This team could be in the play-off hunt next year.

No team in the league is two or three years away from contending.

Parity is alive and well. If you have NFL players on your team, you've got a chance to be good. Worst to first is not an anomaly anymore.

It might be two or three years until Saban makes this 'his" team but, that doesn't mean that he can't use the talent that we have to win now.

Absolutely true, and I think we'll make a substantial improvement this year. But I don't want Saban thinking he has to pick the player at #2 that will have the best chance of helping us make the playoffs THIS YEAR. I want the player that will be the best long term. If both scenarios are fulfilled by the same player, that's fine.

boon said:
True but you can say the samething about other qbs in this draft. If anything Smith shud pick up offense faster than other qb's. He might beat out Ferrote or Feeley in training camp for all we know and start the season.

I know thats why I sed IF fins tradedown for Cedric or Brown or widereciever id be equally fine with that too thou :/ we dont know how much #2 pick wud cost anyway im not a GM but usually #2 picks are expensive regardless of postion

It takes along time to learn the proper footwork....it takes time to play and read defense's when your under center....something Smith never has done.

fishypete said:
I didn't say the Dolphins shouldn't draft a QB...I said they shouldn't waste the 2nd pick on a QB....big difference.

My point still remains: by your logic, no team should ever spend a #2 overall pick on a player who doesn't start immediately. And that's what I was calling absurd.

fishypete said:
:yes:

I'd love a Jason Campbell in the second or David Greene in the third, develop them on a relatively cheap contract and then start paying them big money when they're actually worth it on the field. Sounds like the very definition of longterm value to me.

I would be really surprised to draft Smith at #2. I think Saban is bluffing to get Tampa to bite, but if they call the bluff then I could see Saban taking Smith anyway (like the Chargers did with Eli Manning) and then trading with Tampa. It would be a ballsy move though. I really think any Brown, Caddy, Benson, Edwards and Williams represent better players than Smith.

All I have to say is this draft is going to be very interesting. If the Bucs deal goes through, we pick up a lot of quality picks for just dropping 3 spots to a pick where we could still take one of the big three.

DrAstroZoom said:
My point still remains: by your logic, no team should ever spend a #2 overall pick on a player who doesn't start immediately. And that's what I was calling absurd.
Why is that absurd? You're talking about a 3 or 4 million dollar a year player. A player with that kind of salary, sitting on the bench, is what I think is absurd.

Remember we're talking about the number two pick in the entire draft! It is vitally important that this pick be a homerun. I don't know if QB is the most risky position of all to translate to the NFL but, I wouldn't bet against that being correct.

So, it will take at least 4 years to admit that the pick is a bust....two years on the bench and being worked into the starting role....and then two more years for the "oh sh*t, what have we done" feelings to fully sink in.....if this pick is a QB who turns out to be a bust we're sunk for at LEAST four years....

This pick has to be a sure fire day one starter to have the most value now and 4 years from now....we can't afford to miss.

Back
Top Bottom