Are our WR really this fast??? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are our WR really this fast???

Dol-Fan Dupree said:
I read that article as well. I thought it was pretty dumb, because running 100 is much different then running a 40.

:lol: Me too, mostly. but one thing IS for certain, if what we see are "official times", my guess is that that they're all times together on the same track, same timing gear, etc., then all things are being equal. IE, it don't matter if they say the fastest was 1.1 and slowest was 1.9. They're all the same in regard to one another. If CC runs a 4.3 and DB is 4.4, IMO, that only means that CC is a "RCH" faster. but then again, a tenth is a tenth and probably only a step or 2 difference on the field but if I had my choice, I'd take CC on in an open field tackle b4 DB tho !! IMO, I'd be steamrolled, QUICK! :D

CBS Sportsline said:
and is not the best receiver at the sidelines whether adjusting to the ball or in his footwork.

I wonder if they have ever seen some of the crazy TD catches Chambers has made over the last couple years.

One handed, falling out of bounds, feet down...I guess he has improved huh?

jbond said:
McKnight was the fastest on the roster last year, running a 4.3 consistently. However, the guy just couldn't catch that well or run his routes perfect. That said, Boston IS a 4.4 guy even with his immense size as a WR and CC is a consistent 4.4 guy as well. I know Wanny or Rick said he's a 4.3 guy in some transcript over the weekend but I've never seen numbers to support that.

Chambers had times listed between 4.3 and 4.4 the year we drafted him.
It's not a fabircation, he's fast.

Someone mentioned Fletcher being fast for some reason....
That was never the case. Fletch was slow.

I think that in the open field, Chambers is our fastest guy. I have not seen Boston play much, so I can't comment on him, but I can say that even though McKnight was supposed to be faster, Chambers was and is football faster...better seperation and can go into a second gear after catching the ball...From what I have read and the little I've seen, Boston will be the same type of physical reciever, although Chambers makes more athletic/acrobatic catches....I'd kinda like to see Boston and Chambers on the outside, with Minnis in the slot, where he made his name in KC...Also, if Minnis could do the punt returns that would eliminate the need for Wilkins and we could keep Tolver. Simmons has made strides, but as of last year camp, he wouldn't have beaten out Tolver...I just don't understand why Thompson is in the mix...He didn't show us anything except for a penchant to drop the easy passes and run the wrong routes...One of the guys, Minnis, Thompson, Simmons, or Tolver will have to show up and be the man in the 3 WR sets...My money, right now is on Minnis....

DeDolfan said:
TSN had an article about speed around 5 yrs ago that I can't find anywhere to save my soul. Basically, what it said was that when ben Johnson lost his gold medal due to steroid use in the Olympics, they had figured out and equated that his 40 meter split time at the 40 was around 4.29 sec. They went on to say that if a world class sprinter, on steroids, mind you, on one of the fastest tracks [not grass] with the world's most sophisticated timing equipment, etc., ran a 4.29/40, it was seriously doubted that any football players would come close. They said som'n like the fastest NFL players would actually run maybe a 4.4. I often think of that article when speed related things come up. Who knows for sure tho?

Just a couple of things here. They are running 40 meters which equates to about 44 yards. (43.7 to you sticklers out there).

Also I think when a coach says a player can run a 4.3 40 ... any 4.3 time will fit that bill such as even a 4.39.

But who knows for sure what they run .... I am just guessing here.

I heard Coles runs about a 4.1 .. I never beleived it and wont either.. but is this true..

dolfan87 said:
I wonder if they have ever seen some of the crazy TD catches Chambers has made over the last couple years.

One handed, falling out of bounds, feet down...I guess he has improved huh?

Dead on, 87. I had the same impression in reading that article. A good part of that didn't sound like the CC I've seen in action. So... was the profile wrong or has CC brought much surer hands and sideline-sensing feet to his game?

My point was only why was everyone was complaining/asking (fans and commentators alike) that Miami didn't take a speed receiver in the draft. It seemed like lots of people were saying we "needed" a speed receiver like Evans to compliment Chambers and Boston...but how much faster can you get than a 4.3 and 4.4 40??? Just didnt get that arguement at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen reports that Boston ran a 4.37 at ~ 250+ lbs. in San Diego.

yeah, "everyone" (whoever the h3ll that includes) wanted us to take a 'speed' receiver (as if 2 #1 quality speed WR's isn't enough) because they wanted our other picks instead :) I think the only reason some mentioned another WR was as a backup in case Boston screws up.....to which DW and RS said that depending on how the last month went would largely determine their level of comfort with him, thus negating the need to draft another WR. Well, although the media and 'everyone' may not think Boston will work out, DW and RS obviously feel he is moving along nicely enough the past month with the fins, so I'll trust their word over some media idiots who only know things second-hand and are guessing all the time. I believe we're fine at WR as long as Boston stays in-line.

Omaha_Dolfan said:
Just a couple of things here. They are running 40 meters which equates to about 44 yards. (43.7 to you sticklers out there).

Also I think when a coach says a player can run a 4.3 40 ... any 4.3 time will fit that bill such as even a 4.39.

But who knows for sure what they run .... I am just guessing here.

Exactly, but supposedly they had some old codger there converting the meters and yds, etc. with a slide rule. But who really knows what the exact times are anyway and it doesn't matter much as long as it is equally proportionate to another.

They run what they run. It doesn't matter what anyone says. When they're out on the field what matters is for them to catch the ball and once they do they'll try to run faster than the DB's.Running the 40 is different than runing with shoulder paths on out on the field.

Ozzy rules!!

Back
Top Bottom