Are our WR really this fast??? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are our WR really this fast???

Not wishful thinking. I watched every game last year, and even though his numbers didn't reflect it, he showed the proverbial "flashes of brilliance." He made some spectacular sideline catches, and he dropped some balls.

And everyone knows the QB and o-line play last year was horrid. Plus, he won't be relied upon to start and be the #2 WR. If in 3 wide sets we put him outside and Chambers in the slot, that will give us plenty of options.

templarwd said:
Correct me if I'm wrong here but aren't the times based on a sprint run on a closed timing course? The runner is already moving at top speed when he enters the timing trap, isn't wearing any pads, and is on a track not turf.

They start their watches the moment the player moves or on a whistle or shot or something. And sometimes they are run on turf, it usually says what surface the 40 was ran.

Also missedFG I couldn't disagree more.

But, I'm still not sure that comparative foot speed without pads in perfect conditions is that relevant either. I mean, the only thing that matters is how fast they move on the field. What good is some little 4.2 guy who when put on pads, on grass, in the snow, can't outrun the zamboni.

Because in general, the players you speak of are fictitious. If a guy runs better on a track than another guy, in general yes he will consistently run faster on grass too. Humans aren't built with different gear ratios like cars are. When a guy runs well on track and isn't a very good football player its usually because of a lot of little things you're not noticing, like change of direction, vision, etc.

This may be a little off topic as well, but when we consider our WR depth shouldn't we consider what coach Sullivan brings to the table? I understand he is one of the best WR coaches in the league. I can't help but think he will do wonders with guys like Minnis, Simmons and Tolver, not to mention Boston and Chambers. The fact that we didn't sign not one WR in the draft or a WR UDFA speaks volumes to me. Sullivan must have indicated to Rick and Dave that he does have something to work with and we will be okay at WR this year. Now lets get someone who can throw them the ball!!

Steve

DolphinDevil28 said:
Not wishful thinking. I watched every game last year, and even though his numbers didn't reflect it, he showed the proverbial "flashes of brilliance." He made some spectacular sideline catches, and he dropped some balls.

And everyone knows the QB and o-line play last year was horrid. Plus, he won't be relied upon to start and be the #2 WR. If in 3 wide sets we put him outside and Chambers in the slot, that will give us plenty of options.

I watched them too, and I don't remember seeing too many great moments for the guy. I remember him being covered well and dropping balls when he got open. When I try to think of a good moment, all I can come up with was the catch against NE, but that should have been called out of bounds.

Look, I hope your right. I hope I just missed the signs of his talent.

ckparrothead said:
Because in general, the players you speak of are fictitious. If a guy runs better on a track than another guy, in general yes he will consistently run faster on grass too. Humans aren't built with different gear ratios like cars are. When a guy runs well on track and isn't a very good football player its usually because of a lot of little things you're not noticing, like change of direction, vision, etc.

Hmmm..... I'm not sure I'd say fictitious, as I can think of a couple blazers that didn't look too fast on the field with pads. But, l don't suppose its worth arguing about. Obviously, every team in the NFL agrees with you, so I'm guessing the 40 time must be a good measure by their standards.

I'd still rather clock them with pads on a field. But, I'm a stubborn :goof:

Thompson doesn't use his body well enough when catching to be a possession threat. Tolver is a far better bet to get that spot IMO.

Once again you're basing Tolver getting anything on what exactly?

All those catches he made with us last year?

Saves, disagree all you want, but please bring better reasons than you provided there. Of course you'll come up with all that talent and potential Tolver has. He hasn't played in a single game. Minnis couldn't make it with a passing team. Simmons couldn't make the team his first year and then does next to nothing when he gets on the field.

What exactly am I missing about our WR depth?

Once again you're basing Tolver getting anything on what exactly?

Being employed by Chargers update, and therefore knowing a hell of a lot about SD State. Tolver was a hero there, similar to little ole Marshall Faulk.

DolphinDevil28 said:

thompson made a few good plays, but i'm still mad at him from the texans game.....he dropped a pass that wouldve put us in borderline FG range with about 10 seconds left in that game.....

im not really expecting much more from him this year, though id love to be wrong

anyway, as far as a possession guy.......toss it to randy *shrug*

Back
Top Bottom