Are our WR really this fast??? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are our WR really this fast???

Just keep in mind when a coach says a guy runs a "4.3" it can mean a "4.37" in reality. When a guy runs a "4.4" it can be a 4.46 or maybe even a 4.48 before they round up to 4.5

Usually when they refer to a guy with "4.3 speed" they mean the guy can break into the 4.3s and if they say something like "true 4.4 speed" then that means he'll run like right around a 4.40 or 4.42 or whatever.

Right now I'd venture to say that Chambers can break into the 4.3 range but I seriously doubt he can or ever did run a 4.29 no offense I would have to see that time published to believe it. What I remember when Chambers was drafted is that he ran like in the high 4.3 range so he could be considered a true 4.4 speedster or even a bit faster than that.

Boston would be in that range too if he didn't play at 230 lbs or heavier. I don't think Boston really ran a 4.37 at 250 lbs....I mean, I'd really have to take a look at the watch to believe that...however I do believe he's close to a true 4.4 at the weight he's at now and was probably close to a true 4.4 at the 250 lbs range.

Honestly I think Spielman was just emphasizing that Chambers is a little bit faster than Boston.

Looks like Minnis will be a make or break guy for us this year

No offense but either there's something fundamentally wrong with that statement, or if its true, there's something fundamentally wrong with our personnel strategy this offseason...

This is a little off topic, but timing a guy in a sprint seems like a waste of time. Why don't we have them run in pads. At least we'll have an idea as to what they would do on the field.

Bigger stonger guys might be football faster as they can carry the weight and take the bump etc.

All this 40 time stuff seems like meaningless stats.

Correct me if I'm wrong here but aren't the times based on a sprint run on a closed timing course? The runner is already moving at top speed when he enters the timing trap, isn't wearing any pads, and is on a track not turf.

As long as all the timing is don in the exact same way, it doesn't matter. I'd be interested to see what their times were from a standing start or on a turf course with pads. ;)

We need a guy that is more like Orande Gadsden or O.J. McDuffie. A great route runner not afraid to go over the middle and move the chains for us is what's needed, a posession reciever to go with our two outside burners. Perhaps Snoop, although smallish, is the guy.

What in the world is it with Snoop minnis that makes anyone think minnis will do ANYTHING for us this year? Really, is everyone just hoping that much for someone to come in and be a steal or something?

This guy did NOTHING after his rookie year with KC in a spread out, wide open offense that allows guy to make plays and get open ala STL offense a few years back.

He's small, not that fast, weak, and was on the street for any team to sign and noone did. He can't escape a jam to save his frickin life.

He will never be more than a sub package guy who maybe catches 20 balls a year for a good team.

Please for the love of God stop expecting anything from a player like this guy other than a fringe, maybe make the roster if we're dead wrong about Tolver and Simmons kind of guy.

This is a little off topic, but timing a guy in a sprint seems like a waste of time. Why don't we have them run in pads. At least we'll have an idea as to what they would do on the field.

The answer is that you can see how it translates in his field running quite clearly just by looking at tape. The main reason you time in the 40 on a track and everything is not to gauge how fast the guy will run 40 yards down the field, but rather to gauge in comparison to all the rest of the guys running the 40 because despite the 40's failings, it remains the best instrument of discerning a player's overall footspeed relative to other players around him....and that does include splits like the 10 yard split is particularly important in discerning offensive linemen's footspeed relative to one another, etc. Running on a timed track remains an invaluable tool in seeing how fast players are relative to one another, otherwise teams would not allow players to run on fast rubbery tracks with track gear instead of running on grass with football pads on.

The reason they add time onto the clock when a guy runs on a rubber track etc is to make it relative to the guys that run on a normal track or on grass...cuz thats overall what they are aiming for, a standard that allows scouts to correctly see what players' footspeed is relative to other players...not what a guys overall speed is and how it translates onto the field.

The reason we need another speed guy, is because this team has two great players at WR and then a bunch of nobodies who would trouble making about half of the rosters in this league.

If something happens to Boston (who's injury prone) or Chambers (who has been hurt a swell) then we are exactly where we were last year.

Stuck with two slow guys with a bit of size (Thompson, Tolver) and a small guy who doesn't have the physical skills to be a starter in this league (Simmons, Minnis).

I hope passing on the most pressing needs other than OL on the team in S, DT, WR don't come back to bite us this year and many years to come.

If something happens to Boston (who's injury prone) or Chambers (who has been hurt a swell) then we are exactly where we were last year.

Most teams wouldn't even be in that good a position if they lost a pro bowl caliber starter.

BSQX4 said:
We need a guy that is more like Orande Gadsden or O.J. McDuffie. A great route runner not afraid to go over the middle and move the chains for us is what's needed, a posession reciever to go with our two outside burners. Perhaps Snoop, although smallish, is the guy.
In what way would Tolver NOT fit what you're describing and looking for? He seems to be a solid possession receiver. What has he shown or not shown about working into the middle?

In what way would Tolver NOT fit what you're describing and looking for?

I'll just jump in here. Mainly, because Tolver is an inexperienced unproven 2nd year former 5th rounder. Don't confuse slow for what BSQX4 was talking about. Just cuz a guy is slow and makes a few plays in training camp, doesn't mean he's the next Gadsden or McDuffie.

ckparrothead said:
The answer is that you can see how it translates in his field running quite clearly just by looking at tape. The main reason you time in the 40 on a track and everything is not to gauge how fast the guy will run 40 yards down the field, but rather to gauge in comparison to all the rest of the guys running the 40 because despite the 40's failings, it remains the best instrument of discerning a player's overall footspeed relative to other players around him....and that does include splits like the 10 yard split is particularly important in discerning offensive linemen's footspeed relative to one another, etc. Running on a timed track remains an invaluable tool in seeing how fast players are relative to one another, otherwise teams would not allow players to run on fast rubbery tracks with track gear instead of running on grass with football pads on.

The reason they add time onto the clock when a guy runs on a rubber track etc is to make it relative to the guys that run on a normal track or on grass...cuz thats overall what they are aiming for, a standard that allows scouts to correctly see what players' footspeed is relative to other players...not what a guys overall speed is and how it translates onto the field.

Ok,

But, I'm still not sure that comparative foot speed without pads in perfect conditions is that relevant either. I mean, the only thing that matters is how fast they move on the field. What good is some little 4.2 guy who when put on pads, on grass, in the snow, can't outrun the zamboni.

I guess its useful to know that some guys have better raw speed than others, but it seems like a less important number than people seem to think. BTW, I wonder what Boldins football speed is, since his 40 time, which stunk, doesn't seem to be getting him caught from behind.

DolphinDevil28 said:
I think with another year under his belt Derrius Thompson can become that solid possession WR for us.

Just out of curiosity, on what basis, other than whistful thinking, do you make that prediction.

Back
Top Bottom