Are the Dolphins more talented than last year? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are the Dolphins more talented than last year?

Are the Dolphins more talented than last year?

• Yes

Votes: 77 62.6%
  • No

Votes: 14 11.4%
  • Don't know

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Too early to tell

Votes: 29 23.6%

• Total voters
Colorado Dolfan said:
Frerotte- October 21, 2005 vs. KC: 11/29, 125 yards, 0 TDs, 1 Int, 1 Fumble, 37.9 QB Rating.

Now that I've put that to rest... Any more questions? :D

Ha ha. OK. That was a pitiful game..... LOL. OK, yes, I still have the same question: Where (besides Culpepper who I acknowledged as an upgrade in my original post) have the Dolphins upgraded?

Colorado Dolfan said:
Frerotte- October 21, 2005 vs. KC: 11/29, 125 yards, 0 TDs, 1 Int, 1 Fumble, 37.9 QB Rating.

Now that I've put that to rest... Any more questions? :D

AWESOME! Thanks for that man!

And it's not just that. Some people judge quarterbacks purley on stats which is just wrong. Besides the last 5 minutes, Culpepper keep us in the ball game. The only thing you can blame him for is his agressiveness or decision making. He tried to make a play when we desperatly needed one. If we get that big TD challenged, and hold them to 3, Daunte would not have had to take those risks. Also, the completion percentage is not telling either. He was taking shots down the field late trying for a big play. Generally the further the throw, the lower the percentage. Lastly, any time a QB has to put it up 37 times, it's likely he will struggle. The reason being is because that means you are not running the ball at all. We absolutley gave up on the run and Pittsburgh knew we were passing every time.

So my point is, look beyond the stats. Some could have an excuse if the game wasn't televised in their area, but it was on national TV, so don't try that one. :wink:

Phanatical said:
Ha ha. OK. That was a pitiful game..... LOL. OK, yes, I still have the same question: Where (besides Culpepper who I acknowledged as an upgrade in my original post) have the Dolphins upgraded?

I honestly believe that WR and the backfield are both probable upgrades. Simply having Culpepper makes the the WR corps better, IMO. ...and having Culpepper tossing the rock should open up the running game a bit.

No, I don't believe Suggs is better than Williams, but having a credible passing game will help the rushing game immensely...

Just IMO, of course...:wink:

Phanatical said:

Cornerback: Will Allen and Andre Goodman (add Daniels when healthy) > Sam Madison and Reggie Howard.

WR: Chambers is now a pro bowler, Wes Welker is even better and we added Derek Hagan.

FB: Just because Darian Barnes is better than last year. And my proof is that he beat out a once all pro.

QB: All I need to say is Culpepper, Frerotte.

Those were the only spots that needed upgrading. Granted the Oline could've used a bit.

DL is an upgrade imo. We have the same group with Dan Wilkinson and Math Roth with a year of experience. I believe WR is an upgrade, not because of Hagan but because Chambers is getting better every year. I also believe TE is an upgrade as pelle is better then diamond, Diamond was useless. QB is an upgrade wiht Harrington better then anyone we had last year as well as Culpepper better then everyone.

I hate it when we lose, then coming to this site and reading how this team sucks becuase we didn't win by 30! Everyone is entitled to thier own opinion, but for cryin out loud could we wait till mid season before we decide what the fins are?? It's just as bad had we won, all of a sudden no one can beat us, sheesh talk about running the gamut of emotion. I look so forward to the start of the season, just to have it ruined by all the negativity.

Colorado Dolfan said:
I honestly believe that WR and the backfield are both probable upgrades. Simply having Culpepper makes the the WR corps better, IMO. ...and having Culpepper tossing the rock should open up the running game a bit.

No, I don't believe Suggs is better than Williams, but having a credible passing game will help the rushing game immensely...

Just IMO, of course...:wink:

OK, so you're saying that Culpepper is going to make everyone else play better? There's some validity to that, but, that doesn't increase their talent, just possibly gets more out of the same talent. I still see us downgraded on the OL, RB, and in the secondary. The only upgrade I see is Culpepper. Overall, I see a decrease in talent.

feelthepain said:
I hate it when we lose, then coming to this site and reading how this team sucks becuase we didn't win by 30! Everyone is entitled to thier own opinion, but for cryin out loud could we wait till mid season before we decide what the fins are??

So, what do you suggest we discuss til midseason????? :rolleyes2 Also, I don't think my post said anything about how this team sucks. Man, some people are so sensitive. You never answered the question, besides Culpepper, where has the team upgraded?

to deny culpepper as a better qb is insane. but our secondary is MUCh worse

Phanatical said:
So, what do you suggest we discuss til midseason????? :rolleyes2 Also, I don't think my post said anything about how this team sucks. Man, some people are so sensitive. You never answered the question, besides Culpepper, where has the team upgraded?

I completely agree with Feelthepain. You just wait, we will crush the Bills and our offense will light it up and all you nay sayers will be right back on the bandwagon. It's sickening, but true. Just you wait and see. If Daunte throws for 300 yards and 3 TDs, what will you say? I hope you still hate him because I can't stand fair weather fans.

LoneWulF said:
to deny culpepper as a better qb is insane. but our secondary is MUCh worse

I disagree. Allen is better than Madison (now) and Daniels/ Goodman are both better than Howard. The only spot that's worse is FS where Shulters played. Give it time, Saban will get it fixed.

Upgraded? Sure, but not across the board.

Overall Yes.

OFFENSE

QB's - Definite upgrade, although Frerotte was supposedly more of a ball caretaker than risktaker, like Culpepper. Though Frerotte DID have a lot of turnovers.Harrington and Lemon are solid at 2 and 3 respectively.

RB's - Slight DOWNGRADE from last year with the loss of Ricky.

TE's - Same

O-Line - Slight longterm upgrade in the potential and athleticism of the line, but that still requires months of tutelage from HOuck before paying off. With Toledo and McKinney out with injuries, this is still only a slightly above average O-line... for now.

WR - Upgrade. Having Hagan here, and chosinig to cut players like Kelly Campbell, Frank Murphy, and put Vick on the Practice Squad. We are better at WR this year, though with Wes at #3 receiver, we need Hagan to come along qucikly this year and assume the #3 spot by year's end.

DEFENSE

D-Line - Uprgade. Evans will be a player for us, no doubt. Roth has improved. The rest of the line that tied the team sack record returns, AND we add Dan Wilkinson for depth. This is the strength of the Defense.

Linebacker - DOWNGRADE. When you lose a future Hall of Famer, even if he has slowed down, in Jr. Seau... AND he goes your division nemesis... AND you replace him with a host of cast-offs from other teams, your LB corps has not improved. This may be offset slightly by Channing Crowder being in his second year and playing with more knowledge of the game and system.

DB's - LONG TERM Upgrade, Short Term Same Level as Last Year. Well, we do have more athleticism, youth and talent in the secondary than last year. Unfortunately, as Travis Daniels said this week, knowing the system matters more than talent. So, the secondary we start the season with is a talent upgrade, but a performance downgrade from the secondary we FINISHED last season with, since the secondary knew the system by the end of last year. This is what happens with new players (only Travis Daniels, Tillman and Bell still get a lot of playing time and were here a year ago).

Coaching - Slight Upgrade. Capers is definitely a great addition for our hybrid defe3nse. Unfortunately, I think we moved sideways going from Linehan to Mularkey. Mularkey is too conservative in his play-calling for my tastes, relying on the very occasional gadget play as the only spice in his chef's cupboard. Linehan attacked on every play, and didn't power it through the defense, but found ways to send the offense where the defense WASN'T. I prefer out-scheming them to Out-performing them when you have a team like ours, which is not always dominant up front.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aqua4Ever04 said:
I completely agree with Feelthepain. You just wait, we will crush the Bills and our offense will light it up and all you nay sayers will be right back on the bandwagon. It's sickening, but true. Just you wait and see. If Daunte throws for 300 yards and 3 TDs, what will you say? I hope you still hate him because I can't stand fair weather fans.

I hate him???? Stop with the emotion and start thinking. Here's what I said: "So far, Culpepper has performed worse than Frerotte did, at this point his performance has been a Downgrade. I expect this to change, but so far, it hasn't." (Emphasis added).

If Daunte throws for 300 yards and 3 TD's, what will I say? I'll say his performance is an improvement over Frerotte and I will jump for joy that he is finally living up to his billing.

Phanatical said:
I hate him???? Stop with the emotion and start thinking. Here's what I said: "So far, Culpepper has performed worse than Frerotte did, at this point his performance has been a Downgrade. I expect this to change, but so far, it hasn't." (Emphasis added).

If Daunte throws for 300 yards and 3 TD's, what will I say? I'll say his performance is an improvement over Frerotte and I will jump for joy that he is finally living up to his billing.

Yeah that little add is just a bit important. I've seen 3 or 4 threads where all you have done is dog Pep. All I'm saying is give him more than 1 game for crying out loud. And to say he is a down grade behind Frerotte, WOW!:eek:

Bpk said:
Overall Yes.

OFFENSE

QB's - Definite upgrade, although Frerotte was supposedly more of a ball caretaker than risktaker, like Culpepper. Though Frerotte DID have a lot of turnovers.Harrington and Lemon are solid at 2 and 3 respectively.

RB's - Slight DOWNGRADE from last year with the loss of Ricky.

TE's - Same

O-Line - Slight longterm upgrade in the potential and athleticism of the line, but that still requires months of tutelage from HOuck before paying off. With Toledo and McKinney out with injuries, this is still only a slightly above average O-line... for now.

WR - Upgrade. Having Hagan here, and chosinig to cut players like Kelly Campbell, Frank Murphy, and put Vick on the Practice Squad. We are better at WR this year, though with Wes at #3 receiver, we need Hagan to come along qucikly this year and assume the #3 spot by year's end.

DEFENSE

D-Line - Uprgade. Evans will be a player for us, no doubt. Roth has improved. The rest of the line that tied the team sack record returns, AND we add Dan Wilkinson for depth. This is the strength of the Defense.

Linebacker - DOWNGRADE. When you lose a future Hall of Famer, even if he has slowed down, in Jr. Seau... AND he goes your division nemesis... AND you replace him with a host of cast-offs from other teams, your LB corps has not improved. This may be offset slightly by Channing Crowder being in his second year and playing with more knowledge of the game and system.

DB's - LONG TERM Upgrade, Short Term Same Level as Last Year. Well, we do have more athleticism, youth and talent in the secondary than last year. Unfortunately, as Travis Daniels said this week, knowing the system matters more than talent. So, the secondary we start the season with is a talent upgrade, but a performance downgrade from the secondary we FINISHED last season with, since the secondary knew the system by the end of last year. This is what happens with new players (only Travis Daniels, Tillman and Bell still get a lot of playing time and were here a year ago).

Coaching - Slight Upgrade. Capers is definitely a great addition for our hybrid defe3nse. Unfortunately, I think we moved sideways going from Linehan to Mularkey. Mularkey is too conservative in his play-calling for my tastes, relying on the very occasional gadget play as the only spice in his chef's cupboard. Linehan attacked on every play, and didn't power it through the defense, but found ways to send the offense where the defense WASN'T. I prefer out-scheming them to Out-performing them when you have a team like ours, which is not always dominant up front.

Good post. Although you don't give Frerotte enough credit. He only threw 13 picks last year, less than 1/game. That's certainly not a LOT of turnovers as you said.

Back
Top Bottom