Are the Dolphins more talented than last year? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are the Dolphins more talented than last year?

Are the Dolphins more talented than last year?

• Yes

Votes: 77 62.6%
  • No

Votes: 14 11.4%
  • Don't know

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Too early to tell

Votes: 29 23.6%

• Total voters
Phanatical said:
Good post. Although you don't give Frerotte enough credit. He only threw 13 picks last year, less than 1/game. That's certainly not a LOT of turnovers as you said.

Please take into account the game Gus didn't play. He didn't start against Cleveland and was no where to be found in the Buffalo come back game.

Phanatical said:
Good post. Although you don't give Frerotte enough credit. He only threw 13 picks last year, less than 1/game. That's certainly not a LOT of turnovers as you said.
Don't forget Frerotte has almost an equal number of turnovers (fumbles lost and Ints) to touchdowns (Rushing and Passing) in his career. Don't forget his 13 fumbles (only 4 lost, but still). His TD/TO ratio for last year is 18/17... All our past QB starters, since Marino, have more turnovers than touchdowns, so Frerotte was definitely an upgrade.

Daunte, despite having a bit of a turnover problem, scores more TDs than he has turnovers... Quite a bit more, in fact... Last year was a fluke. If he had stayed healthy and stayed the starter, I'm certain his stats would have changed to reflect that...

Aqua4Ever04 said:
Please take into account the game Gus didn't play. He didn't start against Cleveland and was no where to be found in the Buffalo come back game.

True, he was absent for our worst and Best game. 13 picks in 14 1/4 games, still less than 1/game. Do you still think that is a LOT of turnovers????

Phanatical said:
where has the team upgraded?

If we had won against the Steelers would you be asking this question??? I doubt it. How can you determine anything from one game?? We have a new OC/DC/QB/CB/S/LT/G all of whom have never really worked together on a full time in game basis. Don't you think their chemistry is important?? Saban has one of the toughest D schemes to learn in all of football, last year he didn't have the speed to run his schemes properly, now he does. Travis Daniels is out and Jason Allen is a rookie.

This is only Sabans second season, I think there is plenty of reasons why we aren't quite superbolw contemders...just yet. How can you look at the results from a team that played a full season, last year and then compare them to a team thats played one game this year?? There was a point last year when we were 4 games below 500. It's a long season can't we wait till the team gets into some kind of rtyhm before we procliam them less talented then last year?? You want to talk about something?? Go back and watch the game film from the Steelers game and figure out where we played well and where we didn't then discuss how we improve that so the next game we come out on top.

the team as a whole is better, except the guard spot, but give it time

also ronnie would have had well over 1000 yards if not for ricky last year
ronnie is a prime time back and it will show when the line gells

Phanatical said:
True, he was absent for our worst and Best game. 13 picks in 14 1/4 games, still less than 1/game. Do you still think that is a LOT of turnovers????
Including fumbles 17 turnovers in 14 1/4 games... that's a bit... :wink:

Colorado Dolfan said:
Don't forget Frerotte has almost an equal number of turnovers (fumbles lost and Ints) to touchdowns (Rushing and Passing) in his career. Don't forget his 13 fumbles (only 4 lost, but still). His TD/TO ratio for last year is 18/17... All our past QB starters, since Marino, have more turnovers than touchdowns, so Frerotte was definitely an upgrade.

Daunte, despite having a bit of a turnover problem, scores more TDs than he has turnovers... Quite a bit more, in fact... Last year was a fluke. If he had stayed healthy and stayed the starter, I'm certain his stats would have changed to reflect that...

Actually that's not really true. They are nearly identical in terms of turnovers to TD ratio.

Games started: Frerotte 79 Culppepper 81
Touchdowns: Frerotte 95 Culpepper 135
Interceptions: Frerotte 79 Culpepper 88
Fumbles Lost: Frerotte 17 Culpepper 36
Total Turnovers: Frerotte 96 Culpepper 124

TD to turnover ratio: Frerotte .99 Culpepper 1.09

They are separated by the thinnest of margins over their career.

Colorado Dolfan said:
Including fumbles 17 turnovers in 14 1/4 games... that's a bit... :wink:

OK, compare that to Daunte's 124 turnovers in 81 games started.

feelthepain said:
If we had won against the Steelers would you be asking this question??? I doubt it. How can you determine anything from one game?? We have a new OC/DC/QB/CB/S/LT/G all of whom have never really worked together on a full time in game basis. Don't you think their chemistry is important?? Saban has one of the toughest D schemes to learn in all of football, last year he didn't have the speed to run his schemes properly, now he does. Travis Daniels is out and Jason Allen is a rookie.

This is only Sabans second season, I think there is plenty of reasons why we aren't quite superbolw contemders...just yet. How can you look at the results from a team that played a full season, last year and then compare them to a team thats played one game this year?? There was a point last year when we were 4 games below 500. It's a long season can't we wait till the team gets into some kind of rtyhm before we procliam them less talented then last year?? You want to talk about something?? Go back and watch the game film from the Steelers game and figure out where we played well and where we didn't then discuss how we improve that so the next game we come out on top.

Wow, another insanely emotional post.

First off, I wasn't basing this on the Steelers game. I was doing a position by position analysis of talent. You're way off base. Go back and re-read the thread and come back when you have something worth saying.

Phanatical said:
Actually that's not really true. They are nearly identical in terms of turnovers to TD ratio.

Games started: Frerotte 79 Culppepper 81
Touchdowns: Frerotte 95 Culpepper 135
Interceptions: Frerotte 79 Culpepper 88
Fumbles Lost: Frerotte 17 Culpepper 36
Total Turnovers: Frerotte 96 Culpepper 124

TD to turnover ratio: Frerotte .99 Culpepper 1.09

They are separated by the thinnest of margins over their career.
Culpepper has 164 TDs to 124 TOs
Frerotte has 100 TDs to 96 TOs

Frerotte: 1.04 to Culpepper 1.32

Over 1 year that's a 3-6 or so TD difference... 3-6 TDs in a season can make or break a season...

Phanatical said:

Well, I include fumbles (whether lost or not) by the QB's in assessing how good a caretaker of the ball they are.

Last year, here's how it looked:

QB Fumbles INT's TOTAL
Favre 10 29 39
Bledsoe 17 17 34
Delhomme 12 16 28
Carr 17 11 28
E. Manning 17 9 26
Collins 13 12 25
Orton 12 13 25
Vick 11 13 24
Frerotte 10 13 23

So Gus comes 9th on that list. Granted, not all those fumbles were lost, but I am not going to rate Gus based on how well other players managed to dive on his cases of the dropsies.

There are some good QB's in that group, though admittedly it's a group that turns the ball over a little too much. Overall, Gus did a good job and had a career high for TD's thrown at 18, but only Orton (9) and Carr (14) out of that group threw for less TD's than Gus in a group making that many mistakes.

Again, I think Daunte has the rep of some turnover problems, but people over-exagerrate how great Gus was at protecting the ball. If you believe the stats, he was in the bottom third of NFL starting QB's when it came to that. Not terrible, but not great.

Back
Top Bottom