Are the Dolphins most popular pro team in Florida? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are the Dolphins most popular pro team in Florida?

Also, I hate to say it but among the colleges it would be

1. UF
2. FSU
3. UM
4. (tie) UCF & USF

USF definitely picked up a ton of band-wagoners with their surprising (and lucky) season a couple years ago. USF apparel is all over Central Florida now and while very few of those are "true" fans, they still have team recognition whereas average Joe hardly even realizes that UCF has a football program. I'd say USF definitely outranks UCF and (unforunately) they are getting closer to UM in some areas of the state than some would think.

everyones talknig about football,but a lot of people are forgeting about o-town.The Magic have taken over FLA professional elite sports representation the past 2-3 years,and their top 3 team in the NBA(Im A Die-Hard Magic Fan....:woot:)

lol @ the Magic being bigger than the Heat, seriously. :lol: The Heat have better attendance #s every year. Only last year did Orlando close the gap a little bit because all their bandwagon fans (Miami still had higher overall attendance)

In the pros I would say

Dolphins
Buccaneers
Heat
Jaguars
Magic
Devil Rays
Lightning
Panthers
Marlins

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm definitely a bandwagon UM fan. When I was younger it was fun to like UM because everyone around me (Polk County) was expected to be an FSU or UF fan. My high school even had an official dress-up day for FSU and UF, so naturally I wore a Hurricanes shirt.

That is the absolute truth. Everywhere you go in Polk it's either UF or FSU. Wear anything else you'll get a weird look. Mainly, it's a lot of UF. Certainly a popular team among the rednecks. Hell, in Lakeland they've got an ENTIRE store dedicated to UF merchandise. It's crazy.

Honestly, with FIU football's program developing nicely, I see UM's fanbase dropping off atleast locally.
LOL @ FIU, its bout dem owls and that gunslinger Rusty Smith. I guess the Dolphins are number 1 but I know the Marlins are last, thats for sure.

I'd like to think the Fins are Florida's most popular team; however I'm pretty sure who the best player in Florida is:

dwyane_wade1-1.jpg

I'd like to think the Fins are Florida's most popular team; however I'm pretty sure who the best player in Florida is:

dwyane_wade1-1.jpg

What about Dwight Howard? Don't get me wrong, Wade has done more in his career and was awesome in his Final's run, but Howard did lead his team to the Finals last year.

And I'm pretty sure that Hanley Ramirez may be as good in his own sport as well.

What about Dwight Howard? Don't get me wrong, Wade has done more in his career and was awesome in his Final's run, but Howard did lead his team to the Finals last year.

And I'm pretty sure that Hanley Ramirez may be as good in his own sport as well.

Dwight and the combination of high % outside shooters is what got them to the finals. It was the perfect inside-out game. Dwight is good at what he does which is dominate the low post, but Wade does it all.

Hoooooooooooooooooly ****. I can't believe the things I'm reading in this thread and that I didn't see this sooner.

The Florida Gators are more popular than the Miami Dolphins?? Get the **** out of here with that lol. Holy hell. The Gators have doubled their redneck fan base over the past three years. it happens to every fan base that wins. LSU picked up several thousand when they were winning a couple of years back. We picked up fans like mad in the 1980's. The Gators have always been a popular team in Florida but you can make the argument that Florida State is more popular.

And LMWAO @ Miami's fan base dwindling due to the "success" of FIU. OMFG. FIU? Really? It's only a matter of time before Cristobal (Miami product) has that team bound for bowl after bowl just before bolting to a big time program and turning them around the way Schiano has done at Rutgers and Richt has done at Georgia (sort of).

The Dolphins are EASILY the most popular team in this state. Always have been, always will be.

/thread

i live in orlando and am a huge magic fan....but i would have to say state wide (excluding college), the dolphins have the most support of any sports teams in the state.

1. dolphins
2. bucs (central florida market and west florida)
3. magic
4. jags (north florida supports them)
5. heat
6. rays
7. marlins
8. lightning
9. panthers.

I'm originally from Orlando and I'd say your rankings are pretty accurate.

Hoooooooooooooooooly ****. I can't believe the things I'm reading in this thread and that I didn't see this sooner.

The Florida Gators are more popular than the Miami Dolphins?? Get the **** out of here with that lol. Holy hell. The Gators have doubled their redneck fan base over the past three years. it happens to every fan base that wins. LSU picked up several thousand when they were winning a couple of years back. We picked up fans like mad in the 1980's. The Gators have always been a popular team in Florida but you can make the argument that Florida State is more popular.

And LMWAO @ Miami's fan base dwindling due to the "success" of FIU. OMFG. FIU? Really? It's only a matter of time before Cristobal (Miami product) has that team bound for bowl after bowl just before bolting to a big time program and turning them around the way Schiano has done at Rutgers and Richt has done at Georgia (sort of).

The Dolphins are EASILY the most popular team in this state. Always have been, always will be.

/thread

Yes, OMG, FIU. Typical of UM arrogance I see. UM has 10,000, FIU has 30,000 undergrads. FIU will go to a bowl game this year, build off the same recruit pool shared by UM, and watch, not next year or the year after, but within thirty years, FIU will be a very popular program. 1 out of 5 graduates in Miami graduated from FIU alone. UM is still the typical rich private school that only out of state kids go to...or local football players.

Yes, OMG, FIU. Typical of UM arrogance I see. UM has 10,000, FIU has 30,000 undergrads. FIU will go to a bowl game this year, build off the same recruit pool shared by UM, and watch, not next year or the year after, but within thirty years, FIU will be a very popular program. 1 out of 5 graduates in Miami graduated from FIU alone. UM is still the typical rich private school that only out of state kids go to...or local football players.

FIU will always be, at best, the 5th most popular college in Florida. When I was living in Orlando, UCF (the states largest college) publicly complained to students about them wearing UM, FSU, and Thug UF t-shirts, hats, license plates, etc on campus and not properly representing the school. So please don't tell me that FIU is going to rise in popularity over UM let alone UCF. Absolutely no school in in Florida will rise above UM, FSU, and Thug UF in terms of sports &/or popularity. It just wont happen. Not even in your wacky projected 30 year time frame. :refuse:

Back
Top Bottom