Are The Dolphins Really Irrelevant? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are The Dolphins Really Irrelevant?

Same old ridiculous axe to grind re. the Patriots. What would you have the NFL do? Force Brady to retire? Force the team to trade Gronk? Make them play with 9 men on the field? Why not just make the whole thing fixed like the WWE?

The reason the Patriots have been so dominant is because they have the best coach of this era (and maybe ever), combined with one of the greatest quarterbacks ever (and throw in one of the best tight ends ever as well). And because the other three teams in the division have been hot garbage for the vast majority of this century (aside from the lucky runs the Jets had in the playoffs at the end of the last decade).

Just goes to show you how far this franchise has fallen. It’s no longer we need to get better so we can compete with the best. Now it’s pleading for the league to do something— anything— because the Dolphins sure can’t compete on their own.

Relevancy is a combination of things, and these things are fluid and always changing. Dolphins haven’t been good since the “Ace Ventura” days. But hey, do the Cowgirls have their own movie? Ask your friend who is the only undefeated team in NFL History. Your cowgirls friend sounds like a pompous ass. I don’t care if the Dolphins are on ESPN or “Sunday Night Football”, I go to many road games and let me tell you, there are a lot of Dolphins fans out there, no matter if the media wants to acknowledge it or not.

Dolphins are as relevant as any other team in sports. You have good years and bad years. Sometimes a few in a row, other times it's a one quick appearance on the up or down side. Talent makes a difference. Coaches make a difference. Every single team gets to deal with it.

The Dolphins would have dominated (maybe) the entire 70s if the WFL hadn't decided to lure Csonka, Kiick, and Warfield away from the Fins with cash. If Marino hadn't torn his achilles what would have happened? Did the wildcat have a day - yes. For about a year everyone was using it a bit. Even today the QBs are doing a bit more running. Patriots were miserable from mid 80s to 90s. Unless you win the championship, the grass is always greener.

Hindsight is always 20/20. You have to learn from history and use that information to improve your situation. In my opinion, the Dolphins are finally moving forward on a path to improvement.

For us 'older' fans, the 60s were grim. The early 70s were awesome. 80s were fun. Then it started getting rather ugly when Jimmy Johnson was hired (aka Shula fired). The year with Chad Pennington was really fun (really a pity we had to play Baltimore).

It is what it is. I think the team is relevant since I spend a portion of my life watching them play.

Well, at least the Cowboys have fans who pack the stadium and show up. Our first home game was an embarrassment......stands looked a third empty and that was BEFORE any weather related problems. Even Oakland, a team which has issues (and on top of that whose current fans know will be moving out in a year or two gets) packed every game with raucous fans despite being a perennial also ran/underachieving team. Same for Cleveland and a few others.
Cowboys fans show up late and leave early. And it's rare that the stadium is packed. Usually far from it.

Cowboys fans show up late and leave early. And it's rare that the stadium is packed. Usually far from it.

At least they show up:

Cowboys fan attendance (averaged in the 90,000 number for years)

https://www.statista.com/statistics/249625/average-home-attendance-of-the-dallas-cowboys/

Dolphins fan attendance ( averaged in the mid 60 to upper 60,000s and just barely cracked 70K one year - truly PATHETIC):

https://www.statista.com/statistics/250074/average-home-attendance-of-the-miami-dolphins/

At one time Miami was up there among the most relevant of teams. But, sadly that was a long time ago. The Dolphins haven't really been relevant since Don Shula retired.

How long has it been since we've been a feared team?

When was the last time you watched a game absolutely knowing we were going to dominate?

When was the last time you were surprised that something negative happened to us?

Our ENTIRE AURA is shrouded in irrelevance.

The only thing more irrelevant than the Miami Dolphins is this discussion. And this is coming from a grown arse man who still has to hide tears on Sundays. I literally cry like a little b!tch, fellas. It is what it is.

I'll never lose pride in our tribe. Will you? That is the only relevant question. If you post on here, as negative as posts can be, I assume you won't lose it either. These are our colors, gentlemen. And they will bury us wearing them.

If you want more parity you need to throw defenses a bone. I don't remember which rule but in the offseason I heard they changed a rule (or put more emphasis on an old rule) because offensive production took a bit of a dip last season. Its debatable if more offense makes for a better NFL to begin with, but it sure as hell doesn't help with the parity issue.

Best rules change in favor of the defense is the force out rule eliminated. Prior to that receivers could just park themselves near the sideline or back line and jump straight up, knowing they'd often get the benefit of pass interference or a force out. Benefit of a doubt on the force out always went to the offensive player, even when it was uncertain if he would have landed in bounds. Drove me nuts and cost me many wagers. Of course, I probably won a few...

Once the rule was eliminated, defenders started to realize they could leg-grap and ride the offensive player out from even further away than previously estimated.

BTW, someone posted that the Cowgirls don't have a movie. That's not the way I remember it:

I find it amusing some of the people are arguing that the Fins are just as relevant as the Cowboys - or in this case, just as irrelevant.

The Cowboys are a much much much more respected team overall, held in a higher regard, and have accomplished more in more recent years - have they been fairly unsuccessful for 2 decades? Yeah, sure. But that dynasty 2 decades ago is good enough to carry you for another decade or two.

Put it this way, as long as I have been watching the Fins - around 25 years - I would be so happy to just see them have ONE run the Cowboys had in the 90s.

The Fins are definitively more irrelevant than the Cowboys and your friend, and the media are proof of it.

It seems that way sometimes. For example- the Bears were one of the worst teams in football last year, yet they’re on the first Sunday Night game of the year last night. Dallas and the Giants were both garbage last year, yet guess what game is on next Sunday night? The Dolphins don’t get that type of treatment.

The Bears weren't on SNF. The PAckers werent even on SNF. Aaron Rodgers was on SNF.

are breasts irrelevant on a nun? is my wife's cooking irrelevant? is my 14 yr old dog relevant? are the rattlers that i never see under my porch relevant?

i dont know, man. i just dont know.

I find it amusing some of the people are arguing that the Fins are just as relevant as the Cowboys - or in this case, just as irrelevant.

The Cowboys are a much much much more respected team overall, held in a higher regard, and have accomplished more in more recent years - have they been fairly unsuccessful for 2 decades? Yeah, sure. But that dynasty 2 decades ago is good enough to carry you for another decade or two.

Put it this way, as long as I have been watching the Fins - around 25 years - I would be so happy to just see them have ONE run the Cowboys had in the 90s.

The Fins are definitively more irrelevant than the Cowboys and your friend, and the media are proof of it.

Thank you. At least this is what my friend is arguing. He admits that the 'Boys are terrible right now, need a new coach and a new QB to become good/great again but he states that the Cowboys don't move the needle of relevancy, they ARE the needle. I guess he has a point. At least nationally.

At least they show up:

Cowboys fan attendance (averaged in the 90,000 number for years)

https://www.statista.com/statistics/249625/average-home-attendance-of-the-dallas-cowboys/

Dolphins fan attendance ( averaged in the mid 60 to upper 60,000s and just barely cracked 70K one year - truly PATHETIC):

https://www.statista.com/statistics/250074/average-home-attendance-of-the-miami-dolphins/
Not worth debating, but Jones buys whatever tickets don't sell so it's announced as a sellout. Local talk shows joke about it.

A few years ago, I ushered at the stadium. Most weeks it wasn't even close to full, but every week it would be announced as a sellout. And we ushers would joke that we didn't have to do anything until 2nd quarter, because that's when Dallas fans would start showing up.

Again, it's really an irrelevant topic, but most Cowboys fans are more worried about being in the cowboy fan "club" than actually being interest in the team. A bunch of fake fans.

Not worth debating, but Jones buys whatever tickets don't sell so it's announced as a sellout. Local talk shows joke about it.

A few years ago, I ushered at the stadium. Most weeks it wasn't even close to full, but every week it would be announced as a sellout. And we ushers would joke that we didn't have to do anything until 2nd quarter, because that's when Dallas fans would start showing up.

Again, it's really an irrelevant topic, but most Cowboys fans are more worried about being in the cowboy fan "club" than actually being interest in the team. A bunch of fake fans.

You have a first hand account so I don't doubt what you're saying....only that the majority of Cowboys games I've seen it looks fairly well attended from the upper camera views when they show it. The Dolphins attendance on the other hand is embarrassing. Very first game and we don't have enough fans to pack the stadium? I can see if we were at the 2-10 point or whatever but that lack of fans was a joke.

You have a first hand account so I don't doubt what you're saying....only that the majority of Cowboys games I've seen it looks fairly well attended from the upper camera views when they show it. The Dolphins attendance on the other hand is embarrassing. Very first game and we don't have enough fans to pack the stadium? I can see if we were at the 2-10 point or whatever but that lack of fans was a joke.
And with me living in Dallas and never having the pleasure of seeing my beloved Dolphins live, much less in Miami, you would know better than I about the attendance there.

I just dispise Cowboy "fans" lol

Back
Top Bottom