Are We Too In Love With Myles Gaskin? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are We Too In Love With Myles Gaskin?

Gaskin reminds me of Mark Higgs. Solid runner, good effort, could catch the football but doesn’t have the home run play in his arsenal. Back in the 90’s we made the mistake of riding Higgs as a no 1 back for a few years. Hopefully we don’t do the same thing w Gaskin. Let him be a role player.

The offensive line hasn’t gelled yet as far as punishing run blocking so it’s hard to say. To me though I don’t think he’s special or the one. He’s a nice piece but I see him more as the second RB on the team. But the jury is out at this point.

The offensive line is inconsistent for sure. Which is why I didn't bring this up earlier in the season. By now we've got a quarter of the season under our belts. We've seen him do so nice things on the field, but we haven't seen a single TD either. He hasn't had great blocking on all his carries, but we've had enough carries to where he HAS had good enough blocking to see some things.

1. His vision and decision-making are fine. I can't recall seeing him ignore a good hole or take the wrong cut.
2. He gives good effort.
3. He catches the ball well.
4. He's fast enough to play the position capably but not fast enough to do anything exceptional with speed alone.
5. He doesn't have the size/strength to be that difficult to bring down.
6. He is agile enough to make guys miss in the open field but doesn't have shiftiness to make dynamic plays either.

I think of guys like Lamar Miller - early in his career he went down easy but if you gave him a hole he would be 10/15 yards downfield before you knew what happened. We rarely gave him holes and he rarely made it past first contact, but at times he was able to make first contact happen a long way down the field - if at all. And for like a game and a half we had Knowshown Moreno who was just an absolute beast to take down. I don't see that exceptional skill from Gaskin to make him a lions-share of the carries type of guy. And I worry that we're overlooking a guy who does have exceptional skill in Breida.

Gaskin reminds me of Mark Higgs. Solid runner, good effort, could catch the football but doesn’t have the home run play in his arsenal. Back in the 90’s we made the mistake of riding Higgs as a no 1 back for a few years. Hopefully we don’t do the same thing w Gaskin. Let him be a role player.
Spot on. Good call.

Wow, we're just going down the roster today...

We've had a Howard and now Gaskin thread....

When does the Gesicki sucks again thread start?
In all fairness, who on this roster is so special that they couldn't be upgraded. The only guys that excite me are the rookies on the offensive line and Tua. Everyone else on this team is "just another guy". I wouldn't care if anyone of them were replaced.

I get the impression that hes playing because hes shown hes the best back on this team. Howard has shown nothing and while I can see why fans would want to see Breida getting more touches he seems very much a boom/bust type.

Gaskins is the modern day RB. Capable of running out of a spread formation, running a route and catching with his hands. Him being in the backfield doesn't telegraph the play and hes a reliable secondary target. I think Tua is going to love having him around.

I get what you're saying. But when we're using a guy so much as a jack of all trades, we're actually telegraphing other guys and harming their effectiveness. If you're bringing in Breida and Howard on mostly running plays, you're getting predictable and going to be less efficient. It seems like the team made efforts to stop that this week - we actually used Breida a lot more in passing situations, even empty sets today. And we had the screen to Howard which was completely busted. If I had to guess, it looked like the team did some self-scouting with the extra three days they had, and realized they were telegraphing too much.

In all fairness, who on this roster is so special that they couldn't be upgraded. The only guys that excite me are the rookies on the offensive line and Tua. Everyone else on this team is "just another guy". I wouldn't care if anyone of them were replaced.

There's literally no perspective after losses and it's unfortunate...Look around the league

The Cowboys with all those investment giveup 1 millions points and lost at home.
TB almost lost to a team full of nobodies
The great K.Murray with all that talent got beat by a bunch of nobodies
Houston is nonwhere to be found
Jets anyone?
Jax got spanked
Detroit anyone?

We go toe to toe with probably the second best team in the entire league behind KC and it's always the worst post-game analysis...

The offensive line hasn’t gelled yet as far as punishing run blocking so it’s hard to say. To me though I don’t think he’s special or the one. He’s a nice piece but I see him more as the second RB on the team. But the jury is out at this point.
He reminds me of just a typical belichick player. Not always flashy, but he get in the game and play his position well.

I was young during most of the Marino years and somehow never watched Higgs play. I was always surprised by his name in video games. But it seems like in those years we were far more comfortable enabling Marino, making sure he had passing weapons, and getting backs which were good accentuating the passing game. It doesn't seem like we ever thought hey, we've got this high level QB, but even those he's a best weapon lets give him a bruising back so we can force him to make less high level throws a game and lessen the load on both our QB and defense. But maybe Dan didn't want that? He was definitely an alpha and maybe he wanted the offensive philosophy to be all about him and wanted pass catching backs. He wouldn't be the first.

Last edited:
Not even.

Barely Bernie Parmalee.

There's literally no perspective after losses and it's unfortunate...Look around the league

The Cowboys with all those investment giveup 1 millions points and lost at home.
Jets anyone?
Jax got spanked
Detroit anyone?

We go toe to toe with probably the second best team in the entire league behind KC and it's always the worst post-game analysis...
I'm glad everything is so rosy in your view, but with all the resources that were invested in this defense and a head coach who supposedly is a defensive expert, this team is even competitive or competent on defense.

Jets anyone?
Jax got spanked
Detroit anyone?

The only one who is overreacting is you. We're not blaming Gaskin for losing. He was a wildcard coming into the season and now that we have 1/4 of the season under our belts, it's nice to look back and say what are we thinking of this guy. Is he good/bad? What does he do well? Is he our best choice?

This isn't a reaction thread because it doesn't even have anything at all related to losing today. But please exit yourself from this discussion. You have contributed nothing.

If only Kenyon..oh. Wait. Sorry. Wrong bytch session. In all seriousness, I think Brieda should be deployed more. A little extra wiggle...15 carries should be good range. Put Tua in and I think you have a more threatening offense..although Gailey is still here.

Back
Top Bottom