Are We Too In Love With Myles Gaskin? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are We Too In Love With Myles Gaskin?

He leads the team in receptions (15) and carries (38). He’s averaging 4 YPC. He has no fumbles. While he is not a home run threat his longest carry (15 yards) is still more than Brieda’s (11 yards). Howard has 12 yards on 16 rushes. I don’t think we are “in love” with Gaskin, I think the other RBs have done less with their chances.

I was young during most of the Marino years and somehow never watched him play. I was always surprised by his name in video games. But it seems like in those years we were far more comfortable enabling Marino, making sure he had passing weapons, and getting backs which were good accentuating the passing game. It doesn't seem like we ever thought hey, we've got this high level QB, but even those he's a best weapon lets give him a bruising back so we can force him to make less high level throws a game and lessen the load on both our QB and defense. But maybe Dan didn't want that? He was definitely an alpha and maybe he wanted the offensive philosophy to be all about him and wanted pass catching backs. He wouldn't be the first.
You never watched Marino, yet you have this theory?

Marino had an ego. How could he not. However, this is hogwash.

Marino wanted to win more than anyone I've ever seen. He wore his heart on his sleeve, and you could tell all he cared about was winning.

He reminds me of just a typical belichick player. Not always flashy, but he get in the game and play his position well.

He's definitely a Burkhead type guy. But Bellichek doesn't usually give such a big percentage of the work to these jack of all trades, masters of none type guys.

I think we were all surprised when we came out of the gate riding Gaskin harder than our other two backs. Clearly the coaching staff saw something in camp and thought he confirmed that on the field week one. A quarter of the season though, I'm wondering if our staff isn't a little too in love with him.

He's done well. He hasn't made bad plays. He's made some good ones. He makes a guy miss from time to time. He's got decent speed. After what we went through last year, seeing a guy with 4 YPC is nice. I rarely feel like he's leaving clear yards on the field.

He's not a problem. But I don't know if I look at him and really see an NFL starter either. I see he does a number of things well enough, but I don't know if there is anything he's great at, except possibly catching out of the backfield (which in and of itself is usually a backup RB role). I've seen Breida get a lot more run elsewhere. I KNOW there are things that he is elite at because I've seen it happen. Up until Mostert two weeks ago I believe Breida was clocked the fastest in the league. He's got top caliber speed and home run vision. And he's not like some guys like Drake, who look for big plays to a fault and ignore 4 yards that are there looking for 20 and losing two. He still runs north/south.

Are we being too cute in trying to make Gaskins a found guy? I know that Flores is big on playing the guys he thinks deserves to play, but is he making the right decision by not utilizing a guy who has been about as productive per touch, despite less consistent touches, and also has a track record? Is Gaskins JAG, albeit one that executes?

(please note that I'm aware RB is far, far down our list of problems. I just thought it would be fun to discuss).

Yes, we are.

The Pats won with whomever because they had a mature Tom Brady...but I remember a younger Tom Brady had Cory Dillon running behind a good o-line.

It wouldn't hurt to get Tua a feature back...especiallt if the line improves with the addition of Hunt.

He leads the team in receptions (15) and carries (38). He’s averaging 4 YPC. He has no fumbles. While he is not a home run threat his longest carry (15 yards) is still more than Brieda’s (11 yards). Howard has 12 yards on 16 rushes. I don’t think we are “in love” with Gaskin, I think the other RBs have done less with their chances.

Gaskin and Breida have roughly equal averages per carry. Breida's 26 yard reception today was the longest play we've had from any RB.

Yes, we are.

The Pats won with whomever because they had a mature Tom Brady...but I remember a younger Tom Brady had Cory Dillon running behind a good o-line.

It wouldn't hurt to get Tua a feature back...especiallt if the line improves with the addition of Hunt.

Next year...

BTW... I'm really hoping for Etienne

My guess is he’s playing because Howard runs like he has ankle weights on and Brieda probably doesn’t do some things as consistently well in practice despite being the more talented player. I don’t think anyone thinks we’re all set at RB but Gaskin might really be the beat all around back we have right now.

I will say that so far....Gaskin is the only in the backfield who has displayed any twitch or burst. Maybe its because he can hide behind his blockers or gets lost in the chaos.

You never watched Marino, yet you have this theory?

Marino had an ego. How could he not. However, this is hogwash.

Marino wanted to win more than anyone I've ever seen. He wore his heart on his sleeve, and you could tell all he cared about was winning.

Of course I watched Marino, but not every weekend like I watched the Dolphins since the Fiedler years, when I was older. At the age I was, I could tell you very little about what was happening on the field, but one thing that was always immensely evident was Dan's fire.

Of course Dan wanted to win. Maybe his idea of wanting to win put too much on his own shoulder's though? A guy who executes at a high level and cares about winning will always have a hard time not believing that they give the team the best chance to win.

He looks like a 3rd down back playing all 3 downs. The truth is our other backs have looked pretty horrible. Howard looks slow hasn't gotten more then 2 yards on one play and Breida goes down on first contact

I was young during most of the Marino years and somehow never watched him play. I was always surprised by his name in video games. But it seems like in those years we were far more comfortable enabling Marino, making sure he had passing weapons, and getting backs which were good accentuating the passing game. It doesn't seem like we ever thought hey, we've got this high level QB, but even those he's a best weapon lets give him a bruising back so we can force him to make less high level throws a game and lessen the load on both our QB and defense. But maybe Dan didn't want that? He was definitely an alpha and maybe he wanted the offensive philosophy to be all about him and wanted pass catching backs. He wouldn't be the first.
It’s possible Dan didn’t want it but we did hand the ball off a lot. We just never got big running plays on a consistent basis. I don’t know why he wouldn’t have wanted a better back. Check out ‘91-‘93 when we were legitimate contenders - a top tier back that did better than 3.7-3.9 YPC May have made a difference. I do think part of the issue was also that our O-line wasn’t as good at run blocking as they were at pass protecting. But a better back that could do a little creating or punishing on their own could have helped.

Gaskin and Breida have roughly equal averages per carry. Breida's 26 yard reception today was the longest play we've had from any RB.

I’d like to see Breida more. I think it comes down to Gaskin being surprisingly decent in pass-pro. At least compared to Breida.

Back
Top Bottom