Are We Too In Love With Myles Gaskin? | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are We Too In Love With Myles Gaskin?

I like him. He's been productive.

I'm against spending a ton of money in FA or wasting a 1st/2nd rd pick in the draft on a RB.

This is a passing league.

I like him. He's been productive.

I'm against spending a ton of money in FA or wasting a 1st/2nd rd pick in the draft on a RB.

I don't mind a second rounder but first is overdoing it. Not only are RB's not that valuable in the grand scheme of things, but a lot of first round RBs end up pretty average to begin with.

A lot of the better RBs in the league weren't first rounders. You can find guys with starter ability. I'm just not 100 percent sure that Gaskins has starter ability - though he has proven he is a contributor and a nice offensive piece.

I think we were all surprised when we came out of the gate riding Gaskin harder than our other two backs. Clearly the coaching staff saw something in camp and thought he confirmed that on the field week one. A quarter of the season though, I'm wondering if our staff isn't a little too in love with him.

He's done well. He hasn't made bad plays. He's made some good ones. He makes a guy miss from time to time. He's got decent speed. After what we went through last year, seeing a guy with 4 YPC is nice. I rarely feel like he's leaving clear yards on the field.

He's not a problem. But I don't know if I look at him and really see an NFL starter either. I see he does a number of things well enough, but I don't know if there is anything he's great at, except possibly catching out of the backfield (which in and of itself is usually a backup RB role). I've seen Breida get a lot more run elsewhere. I KNOW there are things that he is elite at because I've seen it happen. Up until Mostert two weeks ago I believe Breida was clocked the fastest in the league. He's got top caliber speed and home run vision. And he's not like some guys like Drake, who look for big plays to a fault and ignore 4 yards that are there looking for 20 and losing two. He still runs north/south.

Are we being too cute in trying to make Gaskins a found guy? I know that Flores is big on playing the guys he thinks deserves to play, but is he making the right decision by not utilizing a guy who has been about as productive per touch, despite less consistent touches, and also has a track record? Is Gaskins JAG, albeit one that executes?

(please note that I'm aware RB is far, far down our list of problems. I just thought it would be fun to discuss).

I’m not in a monogamous fan relationship with Myles Gaskin...

I'm glad everything is so rosy in your view, but with all the resources that were invested in this defense and a head coach who supposedly is a defensive expert, this team is even competitive or competent on defense.

It's one and one-quarter seasons in to the rebuild. Of the 18 TOTAL Miami defensive players who took snaps yesterday? Nine were rookies or acquisitions in the offseason. On top of that? AVG has only played in 10 games for Miami. Sieler has only played in 8.

I get the frustration. But there are literally four players who took defensive snaps yesterday...who also took defensive snaps Game 1 of 2019. Only two players (Godchaux and Baker) were carry-overs from the previous regime. They're gonna get there, but they still need more parts and more time.

No, I don't think many if anyone is calling him a superstar, we are just impressed in him being effective, and is now a very good change of pace back...Miami now needs to find a true powerback that will help beat up the Defensive line during the game of our opponants.

It's one and one-quarter seasons in to the rebuild. Of the 18 TOTAL Miami defensive players who took snaps yesterday? Nine were rookies or acquisitions in the offseason. On top of that? AVG has only played in 10 games for Miami. Sieler has only played in 8.

I get the frustration. But there are literally four players who took defensive snaps yesterday...who also took defensive snaps Game 1 of 2019. Only two players (Godchaux and Baker) were carry-overs from the previous regime. They're gonna get there, but they still need more parts and more time.
I'm not buying it. There is literally not one guy in the front seven that has even flashed. Van Noy has been okay but hasn't nearly had as much of an impact as he had in New England. I'm more than willing to cut Igbinoghene slack because he is so raw and he has been thrown into a tough situation and I think he is talented and eventually get it, but the secondary has underachieved also. This is supposed to be Flores forte, but this defense has been awful and I just don't see them getting much better upfront.

No, but you can't use a small horse when you need a Clydesdale.

And our defense sucks. Yet again.

I'm not buying it. There is literally not one guy in the front seven that has even flashed. Van Noy has been okay but hasn't nearly had as much of an impact as he had in New England. I'm more than willing to cut Igbinoghene slack because he is so raw and he has been thrown into a tough situation and I think he is talented and eventually get it, but the secondary has underachieved also. This is supposed to be Flores forte, but this defense has been awful and I just don't see them getting much better upfront.
You are probably right.
as far as free agents
Van noy is doing okay
Jones hopefully plays at elite level. He is getting paid like that.
roberts. We totally missed there. Shoulda kept McMillan
Hill- he has been good
Lawson is average

be problem is our d line sucks
Wilkins is okay.
davis hasn’t done crap
The DT from ravens has been good

we need a big time nose tackle and pass rusher. Also safety.

Well, I would like to see more of Breida. Clearly, Howard's role is as the short yardage back.

Gaskin has played fairly well. I think Breida has more big play ability.

You are probably right.
as far as free agents
Van noy is doing okay
Jones hopefully plays at elite level. He is getting paid like that.
roberts. We totally missed there. Shoulda kept McMillan
Hill- he has been good
Lawson is average

be problem is our d line sucks
Wilkins is okay.
davis hasn’t done crap
The DT from ravens has been good

we need a big time nose tackle and pass rusher. Also safety.
I agree with most of what you are saying.

McMillan was limited in pass coverage so I understand the move. A three-down inside linebacker is a big need as well.

Would love a Tim Bowens type in the middle of the defense. Was always a big fan of his game.

I’m not trying to convince you. I simply disagree.

I’m not trying to convince you. I simply disagree.
Fine. Make your case. What do you like about this defense, especially in the front seven? Who looks like they are going to blossom into a better than average player in that group?

Fine. Make your case. What do you like about this defense, especially in the front seven? Who looks like they are going to blossom into a better than average player in that group?

See, this would be trying to convince you.

My point is that it’s way, way too early to pass judgment on the unit as a whole.

You should be thrilled we have Gaskin. Our Oline has not shown the same level of improvement in run blocking as it has in pass. We are are still not at an acceptable level there.

Breida averaged over 5 ypc with the 9ers, and with us he's at 4.0. That's the same average Gaskin is putting up while often taking the workhorse load. And though he lacks Breida's gamebreaking speed, he is a reliable receiver.

He doesn't have to be the "RB of the future." He was a 7th rounder last year, and he is adequately filling the starting role. He is getting the snaps because he is playing better than his current competition. I look forward to us drafting a RB and being lucky enough to have Gaskin in a secondary/3rd down back role.

Am I in love with him? No
Do I love the pick? Yes

Back
Top Bottom