Are We Too In Love With Myles Gaskin? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are We Too In Love With Myles Gaskin?

He’s a solid #2. He’s got a lot of room to grow in the weight room. He’s a keeper but not the future. Nahjee Harris and Gaskin would make a nice backfield.

I like the idea of harris paired with him. Of course that’s probably gonna cost us a top 50 pick.

I think we were all surprised when we came out of the gate riding Gaskin harder than our other two backs. Clearly the coaching staff saw something in camp and thought he confirmed that on the field week one. A quarter of the season though, I'm wondering if our staff isn't a little too in love with him.

He's done well. He hasn't made bad plays. He's made some good ones. He makes a guy miss from time to time. He's got decent speed. After what we went through last year, seeing a guy with 4 YPC is nice. I rarely feel like he's leaving clear yards on the field.

He's not a problem. But I don't know if I look at him and really see an NFL starter either. I see he does a number of things well enough, but I don't know if there is anything he's great at, except possibly catching out of the backfield (which in and of itself is usually a backup RB role). I've seen Breida get a lot more run elsewhere. I KNOW there are things that he is elite at because I've seen it happen. Up until Mostert two weeks ago I believe Breida was clocked the fastest in the league. He's got top caliber speed and home run vision. And he's not like some guys like Drake, who look for big plays to a fault and ignore 4 yards that are there looking for 20 and losing two. He still runs north/south.

Are we being too cute in trying to make Gaskins a found guy? I know that Flores is big on playing the guys he thinks deserves to play, but is he making the right decision by not utilizing a guy who has been about as productive per touch, despite less consistent touches, and also has a track record? Is Gaskins JAG, albeit one that executes?

(please note that I'm aware RB is far, far down our list of problems. I just thought it would be fun to discuss).
Yes. He's extremely marginal. I watched some of the Bucs/Chargers yesterday. The Chargers were down a couple of backs and had to go with a rookie. He was their third choice, would be getting any carries unless an emergency, and he was as good as Gaskins.

Its what the Dolphins do. They try to build their team with marginal players. And the results speak..no scream...for themselves.

Would like to see more Brieda. Howard is useless. I think a lot is the play calling. We gashed the jags up with that pistol type formation which allows our back more time to read holes and get up to speed but then used it maybe once this week. Our formations give our plays away too much without showing anything to keep defenses on their toes

I have a hunch breida’s lack of usage could be ball control issues. He always had them in SF. He’s lost a fumble already this year, and on another occasion I’ve seen a close call. If he had any issues in training camp/practice that could very well be why he’s seeing so little snaps.

No big plays like Miller and Drake provided...need them

The decision to pass on blue chip RBs this draft was genius. Grier and Flo are always one step ahead of the rest of us.

Well we have a few 2nd RB's on the roster and our coaching staff thinks he is the best one. I'll side with the guys calling the shots. He seems to catch the ball well, pick up blocks in the backfield and slip through holes. I'm ok with him getting the ball more than the other backs, as he seems to be pretty complete.

I get that, and it's clear to see that Williams has been affected somewhat coming off the surgery. But always want to extrapolate a guy who has proven he can play in the NFL into a longterm starter. Most teams are 4 deep (at least with guys like that).

I think receivers can be overrated in this league and that you can win without dynamic receivers as long as you play within your means. But I don't think we should just look at a guy like Preston Williams and say we're done here when we can definitely get a lot better.

I know Ford's ceiling is as a move the chain slot guy but I'm still a little surprised by how Fitzpatrick has under utilized him after 4 games. It seems like, after DVP's big breakout following Preston's injury, Fitz was so excited to have some potential big play horses in Preston, DVP, and Gesicki that he just doesn't want to settle on an underneath throw without potential for a big play. If those guys aren't there he'd rather just run it himself. And that's surprising because he and Ford ended the year with a lot of chemistry.

Fitz is targeting DVP too much IMO. If he’s the only guy getting open that’s an issue but Fitz is constantly going to him.

I don't see any problems with Gaskin. He's not a superstar, but you don't need that at RB. If the line does its job, he'll do his. That's all you need, baseline competence. Superstar RBs are a luxury, and some of them are a mirage you end up sinking millions in salary into. I'd rather have anonymous competent backs.

Back
Top Bottom