Arent we getting a little too Cowboy'd? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Arent we getting a little too Cowboy'd?

Good post. I don't want to say Miami's had bad positional coaches; that would be an insult to some pretty capable people I'm sure. But over the past decade or so, I think in addition to the poor drafting and FA moves we've made... we also fall short on developing the players we've acquired. A confident team like the Steelers, it's been said, would rather draft a guy and groom him to be a Steeler than go hog wild in FA for other team's guys. There's something very laudable about this if you can do it. We haven't been able to, and I'm hoping that changes.

I believe it's the other way around. We haven't been confident enough to do this, all our previous staffs have been under the impression that the "quick fix" was the only way to survive. That may work short-term, but it has destroyed this great franchises' future, because we didn't develop the young players that we selected in our drafts. That's why so many of our ex-players are appearing on the active rosters of other teams as productive, and sometimes superior, players! We have to get out of this rut and build for the long-term, not this knee-jerk, gotta win now crappool that we're currently sinking in!

I believe it's the other way around. We haven't been confident enough to do this, all our previous staffs have been under the impression that the "quick fix" was the only way to survive. That may work short-term, but it has destroyed this great franchises' future, because we didn't develop the young players that we selected in our drafts. That's why so many of our ex-players are appearing on the active rosters of other teams as productive, and sometimes superior, players! We have to get out of this rut and build for the long-term, not this knee-jerk, gotta win now crappool that we're currently sinking in!

That's an interesting take. There is often grains of truth in the inverse to a possible solution. Over the last several years, IMO, of the draft picks that eventually get starting jobs with us, most of them seem to "float" into that position because we chose not to re-sign the starter ahead of them--not because we developed them to the point where they surpassed the talent of the incumbent to the position.

You bring up a good point about the quick fix. Undoubtedly that plays a part. I see other players rise in their organizations but when it comes to Miami it seems we either got a heck of a player from the draft who's ready to play immediately, or we don't. Not a lot of guys from previous drafts challenging for positions with us because we've helped them get ready to do so. Do our WRs get substantially better after being with us for 2 years? How about our DBs? Linemen? Were all those QBs we've tried since '99 really incapable of playing better, or are we somewhat to blame for not helping them elevate their play and getting them ready to win?

Whichever way it is, there's a problem here and I'm hoping the new regime has the answers for it.

These new coaches are coming from a winning franchise, so I can't really complain. I like the fact that Parcells has surrounded himself with his own guys, and hired a no nonsense head coach in T. Sparano. Let the rebuilding begin!!!

PHINZ RULE!!!

I just want too hear How About Those DOLPHINS after we win the Super Bowl .

Wayne Huizenga bought the fish.
Don Shula / Dan Marino made the fish tasty.
Jimmy Johnson loves to go fishing.
Wanstahe looked like a fish out of water.
Satan killed the fish.
Cam gutted the fish.
We now have the Tuna fish.
and we hope Tony Sparano doesnt sleep w/ the fish!!!

There is no "true identity" in this league. It's not called the copy cat league for no reason. Everyone is trying to take what the bests teams are doing and immulate that model and make it their own. I'm just glad we're doing it from a team that was 13-3 and selected a crap load of talent in the past 4 or 5 drafts.

no concern at all. Parcells is just surrounding himself with people that fit his system and people he has worked with in the past. It happens all the time in the real world. When a company cleans house and a new ceo is named many heads role beacuse the new ceo brings in his own people to run the show!

I don't care what they call us as long as we win, bring in the whole cowboy team if possible.

Am I the only one that is fearful of all these Ex-Cowboys?? I know the Cowboys stood #1 in the NFC.. but where is our own identity? Personally speaking, I can see ESPN calling us the Cowboys Jr team.. or possibly the CowPhins..

Parcells
Ireland
Sparano
Gaine
and rumors of Pasqualoni as DC...

ROFL....this is classic. We are 1-15 and they were 13-3. I think we could stand to be a little more "Cowboy-ed".

As to your sig as to why BP and not Shula, BP has rebuilt the Patriots, Jets, and Cowboys since Shula has done anything in this league.

FA is something Don Shula couldn't get his arms around. Bill Parcells was a master.

I guess if we brought over everyone from the Rams or say the Raiders, then we should be concerned. But bringing over personnel from a winning organization cant be a bad thing..

That winning organization hasn't won a playoff game since 1996.

ROFL....this is classic. We are 1-15 and they were 13-3. I think we could stand to be a little more "Cowboy-ed".

As to your sig as to why BP and not Shula, BP has rebuilt the Patriots, Jets, and Cowboys since Shula has done anything in this league.

FA is something Don Shula couldn't get his arms around. Bill Parcells was a master.

Parcells usually gets good FA's but he overspends on them. As far as drafting goes, he's not very good. I'd be worried a/ Parcells overseeing everything and not coaching. he rebuilt teams by coaching. He took over underachieving teams his last 2 stops, teams that had talent but had morons coaching them.

Parcells usually gets good FA's but he overspends on them. As far as drafting goes, he's not very good. I'd be worried a/ Parcells overseeing everything and not coaching. he rebuilt teams by coaching. He took over underachieving teams his last 2 stops, teams that had talent but had morons coaching them.

I have been pretty much saying the same thing since Parcells came aboard.

Back
Top Bottom