Arm strength is NOT how far you can throw it | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Arm strength is NOT how far you can throw it

Here is the top of the list for the past few decades of college QB in terms of ball velocity. The ones in bold are QBs with marginal to good success in the NFL, I could also cut and paste many many more but I decided to stop here because well.........arm "velocity" is not the soul indicator of NFL QB success.

Josh Allen Wyoming 62

Logan Thomas, Virginia Tech, Bills (TE) - 60
Bryan Bennet, SE Louisiana, CFL- 60
Pat Mahomes, Texas Tech, Chiefs- 60
Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma, Browns 60

Jacob Eason, Washington- 59
Jake Luton, Oregon State- 59
Steven Montez, Colorado- 59
Davis Webb, California, Jets- 59
Brandon Weeden, Oklahoma State, free agent– 59
Colin Kaepernick, Nevada, free agent- 59
Kirk Cousins, Michigan State, Vikings- 59
Zac Dysert, Miami (OH), free agent- 59
Tyler Bray, Tennessee, Bears- 59
Stephen Morris, Miami, free agent- 59
Paxton Lynch, Memphis, Seahawks- 59

Jared Goff, California, Rams - 58
Ryan Mallett, Arkansas, free agent- 58
Austin Davis, Southern Mississippi, free agent- 58
The whole arm test at the combine is a joke. It is for fans only. Watson threw like 47 mph and even said he didn't give a crap.

NFL teams use game film at FPS to determine Evelo. They due this because that don't want to see the average Evelo on all throw. They want to see it on different types of throws in a game (not in shorts and t-shirt). Plus the big thing to look at is time on target, which is a combination of three main things, release time, Evelo, and spin rate.

Bills fans should be more worried about the velocity of their DBs

Ive given up on defense. I wish we would stop putting assets into defense. This is an offensive driven league. Just outscore the other guy. No point in trying to stop these offenses anymore. Its all a track meet.

Miami had a smart offseason with all these offseason moves.

Fleeced KC too.

Miami is a QB away from SB contention.

The whole arm test at the combine is a joke. It is for fans only. Watson threw like 47 mph and even said he didn't give a crap.

When I used to fail tests, I would often say I didnt even try too.

Saves some embarrassment.

How many QB's have been a consistently, good or above average QB, inspite of not having "Arm Strength"? If he can win, inspite of his short comings, who the hell cares, if he comes up short on the damn fastball!!!

Marino was the king of quick release and velocity, best dang arm ever many would argue, still never won a super bowl. Josh Allen looked pretty pedestrian in year 1 and 2 before Diggs showed up and then he started to improve in year 3. This is year 3 for Tua.

Anyway, what do you guys find more precious, the look on Bills fans and players faces during their 4 Super Bowl losing streak, mostly blowouts, or the look on Allen's face when the Chiefs scored in 6 seconds to tie the game last year? Tough call, they're all precious.

It's a good video but a bit misleading.
We need go know who are the defenders covering each pass.
Second, Allen hit Knox in stride where as Tua threw it to double coverage.

Third.TUAS pocket was collapsing. Even after thrown the ball. He got hit. Allen had a clean pocket

I haven’t read the entire thread, so if it’s been pointed out, forgive me, but when ranking the skill set of my preferred NFL QB, I’ll always rank accuracy over arm strength. Otherwise, you just have Jeff George and it’s been proven time and time again.

Tua has pinpoint accuracy and a release at an elite level. He’s not just really good at those 2 things, he’s top 5 in the world at both. As the debate about Tua has raged on, I’ve sat back and worried about all the other positions on this football team.

Tua’s gonna be just fine this year. Book it.

Marino was the king of quick release and velocity, best dang arm ever many would argue, still never won a super bowl. Josh Allen looked pretty pedestrian in year 1 and 2 before Diggs showed up and then he started to improve in year 3. This is year 3 for Tua.

Anyway, what do you guys find more precious, the look on Bills fans and players faces during their 4 Super Bowl losing streak, mostly blowouts, or the look on Allen's face when the Chiefs scored in 6 seconds to tie the game last year? Tough call, they're all precious.

Marino is top 3 all time.

I think this generation has forgotten how good he was because he has no rings.

Put Marino on the BB teams of 2001 to 2021 and he has as many rings as Brady if not more.

This fits well in this thread, because arm strength has nothing to do with DISTANCE.

What weak armed QB's need to work on is velocity.

- Out passes
- Any throws to the sideline
- Corners

Its why teams crowd the middle against Tua and leave the sideline open.
From Education.com

Velocity is the measure of the amount of distance an object covers in a given amount of time. Here's a word equation that expresses the relationship between distance, velocity and time: Velocity equals distance travelled divided by the time it takes to get there.

If you're throwing it just as far but it gets there faster, doesn't that just mean you're throwing it with less of an arc? And if you are throwing it with more of an arc but just as far, doesn't that mean you are actually throwing it further in the air?

They used a terrible analysis there, Tua was late with the throw, Allen wasn't. We saw Tua complete this type of throw to Gesicki against Kansas City..

When I used to fail tests, I would often say I didnt even try too.

Saves some embarrassment.
If you can’t understand that a player recovering from a major injury, requiring medical clearance to participate in any drills, wasn’t able to do your precious test at the combine then I don’t know what to tell you. You are implying that Tua was scared to trow and expose his overly weak, not NFL level arm is ridiculous. He was HURT and unless you are 100% and able to preform at your highest level it makes zero sense to do anything at the combine. Plus he wasn’t even medically cleared to participate.

Uh, what?

Tua was running and throwing at his pro-day which was like a week after the combine.

Nice try.

Yes but at the time and all of his rookie season he was @ 60%. So yes he was able to run and throw at the combine but that’s a hell of a lot different than being at your best. He only now is getting his torque back. All velocity comes from your hips. Pre injury he had a ton of velocity. He would sling it. Do you not remember the velocity on the game winning touchdown pass he threw to Smith in the national Championship game? Nick Hicks said that last off season was to STRENGTHEN the hip and this off season he is finally healthy and he can focus on getting the torque back in his throws. A perfect storm is coming with full health, oline reinforcements, better coaching, full support and an innovative system. There’s going to be a lot of crow being served this year, and I can’t wait.

I dont troll. I just talk football.

But I understand that in 2022 anyone who doesnt agree with your position is considered a "troll".

Devolved society.

PS, I grew up watching Marino vs Kelly. Loved those days. Loved seeing the Dolphins as a good team. Loved the rivalry. We'll never have that as long as Tua is QB. I want that again.
So this isn't a Allen/Tua comparison post (as you've tried really hard to convey), it just happens to be a clip with Allen and Tua....but you proceed to state how you loved the Marino/Kelly rivalry and you'll never get to enjoy that rivalry again until Miami gets rid of their QB that is inferior to Allen in every way. Got it....no comparison to see here, just coincidence.

Back
Top Bottom