Arm strength is NOT how far you can throw it | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Arm strength is NOT how far you can throw it

If you can’t understand that a player recovering from a major injury, requiring medical clearance to participate in any drills, wasn’t able to do your precious test at the combine then I don’t know what to tell you. You are implying that Tua was scared to trow and expose his overly weak, not NFL level arm is ridiculous. He was HURT and unless you are 100% and able to preform at your highest level it makes zero sense to do anything at the combine. Plus he wasn’t even medically cleared to participate.
He was talking about Watson.

How many QB's have been a consistently, good or above average QB, inspite of not having "Arm Strength"? If he can win, inspite of his short comings, who the hell cares, if he comes up short on the damn fastball!!!
Don’t concede the bogus arm strength argument. That’s all propaganda.

I routinely see people on all forums (and this one is no exception) think that arm strength is how far a QB can throw the football down the field.

That is not correct. Its velocity.

For example, I've seen Chad Pennington complete a 60 yard pass (in the air) and he was one of the weaker arms in recent NFL history for a starter. Pennington's problem was velocity.

Here is the true formula for arm strength: How far a QB can throw the ball, when taking into consideration VELOCITY of the ball.

Pennington could throw it 60 yards, but there was no speed/zip with the ball. So it took a long time to get there and the ball kinda hung in the air. So what Pennington did was only throw long when he knew he had a good chance of completing it (meaning, the WR had steps on the DB, so the ball taking longer to get there wouldn't matter). Youll notice on many (notice I didnt say "all) of Tua's deep throws, he has a wide open guy or the guy has many steps on the DB. I think Tua is only throwing long in certain situations where you knows he can make it work - thus his small sample size.

This video below is the best comparison I could find of what i'm talking about. UNFORTUNATELY, it uses Josh Allen as one of the examples. I wish it used a different QB, like Rodgers, because people will think I purposefully picked it because of Allen, but I did NOT. It's just a really well done comparison showing how VELOCITY is what mattes with arm strength. Not distance. Not "deep throws".

PS, dont flame me. I think this is a fair discussion.

The first clip has been discussed to death, Tua hesitated on the throw and that was the reason for the interception. Nothing really to do with velocity on that, if he had thrown it sooner it was a TD.
Now does velocity help? sure but timing is more key when passing to your target.
Tua's strength is not really his arm strength it's his accuracy. Throwing it deep or with power effectively is not really arm strength but more leg strength as legs drive the power to the arms to be able to throw deep. Kind of like how boxers train their legs heavily in order to land strong punches.
Tua as everyone understands has come off from a devastating hip injury which obviously would impact his strength (legs/hip).

Anyway to me arm strength is not the most important aspect of a QB (Jamarcus Russell anyone?), timing and accuracy are more important and Tua is actually better here.

Speaking of accuracy I'll leave this for you

Last edited:
He was talking about Watson.
He might have been in the post I responded to I don’t know, but he made it very clear in other posts he was making a point that Tua was scared to test his velocity at the combine.

This fits well in this thread, because arm strength has nothing to do with DISTANCE.

What weak armed QB's need to work on is velocity.

- Out passes
- Any throws to the sideline
- Corners

Its why teams crowd the middle against Tua and leave the sideline open.
Have you taken a math class? Do you understand velocity verses distance traveled at all?

Rounding of course
62mph = 91 ft/sec
42mph = 62 ft/sec

1 yards = 3ft.

20yards = 60ft

20 yard throw @ 62mph = .66sec
20 yard throw @ 42mph = .97sec (keep in mind Tua's velocity is 53mph which makes it = .77sec)

So on a 20yard pass the difference is 0.6ft at 62mph vs. 53mph of course this doesn't factor in release time which is greater than 0.1sec of difference and will affect the usable 0.6ft of advantage the defender might or might not have based on ball velocity.

The whole arm test at the combine is a joke. It is for fans only. Watson threw like 47 mph and even said he didn't give a crap.

NFL teams use game film at FPS to determine Evelo. They due this because that don't want to see the average Evelo on all throw. They want to see it on different types of throws in a game (not in shorts and t-shirt). Plus the big thing to look at is time on target, which is a combination of three main things, release time, Evelo, and spin rate.
👆👆👆👆 This guy gets it, the OP doesn't but this guy does!

Have you taken a math class? Do you understand velocity verses distance traveled at all?

Rounding of course
62mph = 91 ft/sec
42mph = 62 ft/sec

1 yards = 3ft.

20yards = 60ft

20 yard throw @ 42mph = .97sec (keep in mind Tua's velocity is 53mph which makes it = .77sec)

So on a 20yard pass the difference is 0.6ft at 62mph vs. 53mph of course this doesn't factor in release time which is greater than 0.1sec of difference and will affect the usable 0.6ft of advantage the defender might or might not have based on ball velocity.
All this is data recorded while Tua was recovering from a severe injury to the source of said velocity. How can you not acknowledge this?

You clearly didn't read.

I specifically said I wish the example video did NOT show Allen. I wish it showed Rodgers or something. Unfortunately it was the best example of velocity comparison I could find and of course the video creator had to use Allen which just makes me look like a homer. But NO, I was not trying to bring up Allen at all. It was just the best comparison video there is of velocity. Forget that its Allen in it. Pretend its someone else.

I said this in the post...

The point (which clearly went over your head) is arm strength is not about how FAR you can throw it. It is about VELOCITY.

Thats why teams stack the middle of the field against Tua and force him to throw to the boundary. They dont think he has the velocity to make those boundary throws.
Why don’t you piss off, Bills fan? No one here gives a damn about your thoughts. We all know Tua’s arm isn’t electric. The question is whether his intangibles will be enough to overcome that, a la Brees. He’ll either prove it on the field or he won’t.

Rounding of course
62mph = 91 ft/sec
42mph = 62 ft/sec

1 yards = 3ft.

20yards = 60ft

Yes our educational system failed us if folks don't realize that distance is almost entirely a function of velocity + angle of release, given a stable platform/no wind.

Point is if you can throw it as far most everyone else, then your arm strength is about equal to theirs, and you should be able to generate the same velocity for various throws given a stable platform.

Eye test tells you that's where Tua is weakest...when he doesn't have a set platform, he's looked downright cringey at times. I've seen workout clips with his trainer showing his crew is aware of this and actively trying to strengthen this aspect. Makes sense that his injury would affect those throws the most.

I routinely see people on all forums (and this one is no exception) think that arm strength is how far a QB can throw the football down the field.

That is not correct. Its velocity.

For example, I've seen Chad Pennington complete a 60 yard pass (in the air) and he was one of the weaker arms in recent NFL history for a starter. Pennington's problem was velocity.

Here is the true formula for arm strength: How far a QB can throw the ball, when taking into consideration VELOCITY of the ball.

Pennington could throw it 60 yards, but there was no speed/zip with the ball. So it took a long time to get there and the ball kinda hung in the air. So what Pennington did was only throw long when he knew he had a good chance of completing it (meaning, the WR had steps on the DB, so the ball taking longer to get there wouldn't matter). Youll notice on many (notice I didnt say "all) of Tua's deep throws, he has a wide open guy or the guy has many steps on the DB. I think Tua is only throwing long in certain situations where you knows he can make it work - thus his small sample size.

This video below is the best comparison I could find of what i'm talking about. UNFORTUNATELY, it uses Josh Allen as one of the examples. I wish it used a different QB, like Rodgers, because people will think I purposefully picked it because of Allen, but I did NOT. It's just a really well done comparison showing how VELOCITY is what mattes with arm strength. Not distance. Not "deep throws".

PS, dont flame me. I think this is a fair discussion.

Not sure why this is even relevant right now. Tua has the off-season to work on his strength and velocity, and our coaches have time to develop a scheme to utilize Tua's skills best. If Tannehill can improve his deep throws after struggling with them early in his career, I am confident Tua can, too, even if he has to rely more on timing than brute strength.

troll 1986 GIF by absurdnoise

Look at my QB throw a rope - Beadle

Yes our educational system failed us if folks don't realize that distance is almost entirely a function of velocity + angle of release, given a stable platform/no wind.

Point is if you can throw it as far most everyone else, then your arm strength is about equal to theirs, and you should be able to generate the same velocity for various throws given a stable platform.

Eye test tells you that's where Tua is weakest...when he doesn't have a set platform, he's looked downright cringey at times. I've seen workout clips with his trainer showing his crew is aware of this and actively trying to strengthen this aspect. Makes sense that his injury would affect those throws the most.
Easy now, we don't want to blow up minds with all the other factors like a QB taking velocity off his throw or adjusting the angle of throw to allow the WR more time to break free.

Pure arm strength is a most notable advantage on busted plays or plays were you simply need to muscle it across the field. Typically these are low percentage plays regardless of who throws them and it's better to throw it away and live to play another down. Accuracy is more important over the middle than arm strength, 1 yard behind or ahead can make a difference but in terms of raw arm strength 0.6ft of difference doesn't equal 3 ft as long as you are accurate enough to fit the throw in.

This fits well in this thread, because arm strength has nothing to do with DISTANCE.

What weak armed QB's need to work on is velocity.

- Out passes
- Any throws to the sideline
- Corners

Its why teams crowd the middle against Tua and leave the sideline open.
Tua is fine to the sideline(especially to his left, cross body not as much but rarely throws there)and teams don't leave them open. Teams leave the deep area open. They play both safeties up in the box with zero deep guys which cause everything to get congested inside 20 yards middle and outside hence Tua had a +20% tight window throw rate.

Basically Miami's offense looked like hot garbage a lot of the time because nobody respected the deep throw. Now there is two trains of thought on this. The people who blame the QB and say he has a noodle arm. The second blame the crap OL and lack of any deep speed outside of Waddle.

I tend to think Tua is not the problem at all. I follow the data, he has shown to be elite on short pass game. But he needs the deep pass game. Tua was elite in college (Yaya college and Bama open stuff) and in limited data has shown to be very accurate deep in the NFL.

I think we find out this year on Tua (3 years removed from the hip). I think Miami at least fixed the OL enough with coaching and signing a couple guys. The WRs now have speed outside Waddle with Hill and even Wilson. Basically I think Tua will gets the opportunities to throw downfield. If he maintains his high completion % with added opportunities he will be a top tier QB, as they the field will open up. If his given opportunities and the completion % drops/very inconsistent on deep passes, we'll he will be about what he is a game manager that can complete a lot of short passes but not enough of a threat to lead any type of dynamic offense.

Back
Top Bottom