Armando brings up a GREAT point! | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Armando brings up a GREAT point!

I kinda agree and disagree...I believe the Dolphins should be using Ronnie and Ricky alot more as running backs...and still use Ronnie in the wildcat, but the Dolphins should use White in the spread...thats his strength...put 5 receivers in and spread the defense...heck the Pats been doing it for years now.

5 wide....you're talking about only having 5 blockers....unless the line improves tremendously, White will get killed by a free rusher!

I could not take reading his story but I so hate "taking what the defenses give you". What if the defense does not want to give you anything? Do you just quit and/or lose?

You take what you want. You dictate to the defense. You line up and say stop us if you can. It is 3rd and one and we are going to run the ball.

Let them line up 8-9 men and risk Ronnie or Ricky break a long one off in them. I remember Ricky doing that a number of times in the Wanny days.

5 wide....you're talking about only having 5 blockers....unless the line improves tremendously, White will get killed by a free rusher!

LOL...Come on...like in college they don't try to rush him...thats what makes him dangerous...he can make one player miss and run for yds...or throw to a open receiver. Thats the spread offense. Give me 11 on 11 and I like those odds...I don't like 11 on 10 as it is with the wildcat.

I kinda agree and disagree...I believe the Dolphins should be using Ronnie and Ricky alot more as running backs...and still use Ronnie in the wildcat, but the Dolphins should use White in the spread...thats his strength...put 5 receivers in and spread the defense...heck the Pats been doing it for years now.

I guess my point is when White runs the Wildcat it becomes the spread. I agree.. let Ronnie run the Wildcat.. as for White.. Leave him on the sidelines. I'd rather see Henne on the field instead of White.

I'm getting tired of Henning getting cute. Everybody knows who are playmakers are. Give em the ball.

LOL...Come on...like in college they don't try to rush him...thats what makes him dangerous...he can make one player miss and run for yds...or throw to a open receiver. Thats the spread offense. Give me 11 on 11 and I like those odds...I don't like 11 on 10 as it is with the wildcat.

Sure....maybe we can call up WV and borrow their O-line too....or will they not work in the NFL either?

Ok with Marinio after his 2nd year when we went to the playoffs we were usually 1 and one.
Ok with Ricky Williams running the ball in his 2nd year we finally went to the playoffs and were 1 and done.
Now in Sporanos first year along with Penningtons 1st year we go to the playoffs and are 1 and done. That was with a team that was 1-15 the year before.
Hum lets see we want to throw in the towel on a rookies coach and a veteran QB who has "always" spread the ball around just because we are not doing it the same way we did it in years past when it tooks years to build a team to get to that point.

Sorry I am not ready to throw in the towel. IMO if our offensive line could run block better you would see us run the ball more. Ginn is not there yet unless you count him being able to outrun the DB's but even then we really do not know if he will fight to catch that ball. Bess in his short time is as much of a threat as Ginn just as Welker was when he was here and we had Chambers to throw to.
Our TE's set a phins record last year for receptions. Thats pretty impressive seeing that was the result of a 1st year coach.
Need to think a little longer on this one folks.

Sure....maybe we can call up WV and borrow their O-line too....or will they not work in the NFL either?

I know WV had all great O-line players...or did they just know what to do?
It's called repetition...you only get great by doing the same thing over and over.

My God has Armando suddenly got a brain transplant? No...he just said something people agree with...that doesn't make it right.

What it should do is make those that agree with him "re-assess" their opinions...you have to remember that Armando is ALWAYS wrong...

I know WV had all great O-line players...or did they just know what to do?
It's called repetition...you only get great by doing the same thing over and over.

You're right, these O-lineman we have are new to the idea of blocking...

It is, but his point is, if you want to throw to Ginn even if he has extra ppl covering him, THROW IT ANYWAYS. Take a chance. At least that's exactly how I felt watching the dolphins last sunday. "For god's sake take a bleepin chance C. Pennington ."

And then when they do that and the ball gets picked off, Chad Pennington is an idiot for forcing the ball into double coverage.

Listen, I understand the difference between the concepts of attacking a defense at its weakest point, versus attacking a defense with your strongest weapon. But last year the biggest strength of this offense was its well-rounded ability to attack a defense at its weakest point and win. Miami has a bunch of solid but not spectacular skill position players that are well coached. They don't have Randy Moss.

In the end, the biggest problem this last Sunday, the reason we lost the game, was because we turned the ball over four times. Anthony Fasano has to not fumble those balls. Chad Pennington has to get rid of that ball before he gets sack/fumbled, and/or someone needs to make a better protection call that doesn't leave the 270+ pound DE Kroy Biermann a free lane into the backfield with the only thing standing between him and the QB being a 230 pound Ronnie Brown. That's not smart football. Chad Pennington needs to not make a bad read in that zone drop of Mike Peterson's that resulted in an interception. Without those plays, we probably win the ball game.

The defense yielded 10 points off four turnover, each of which gave the Falcons the ball in scoring range. Could they have scored those 10 points if they hadn't been handed the ball like that? Maybe, but doubtful. So we're talking about Atlanta walking away from this game with maybe 13 or 16 points, without the turnovers.

How many would Miami have scored if it didn't turn the ball over like that? Miami was about to have a 2nd & 4 at the Falcons' 10 yard line when Fasano fumbled that first ball. That's a very favorable down and distance mark. They could convert and have a 1st & Goal from inside the 5 yard line, which yields a touchdown more often than not. They got to the Atlanta 37 yard line, basically on the door step of field goal range, and then they get a 10 yard penalty, and throw an interception. If they hadn't done that, you don't think they get 3 points out of that drive? In the third quarter, Ronnie Brown has a 14 yard run, followed by a 10 yard pass to Anthony Fasano, this coming off the aforementioned drive where they drove the ball 43 yards down the field prior to the 10 yard penalty and subsequent interference...and not long before the drive where Pennington drove them down for a touchdown. What I'm getting at is, Miami had started to find a rhythm on offense. They had started to make plays, convert downs, get yards, etc. But, on this drive, Fasano catches one for 10 yards and fumbles again. It would have been 1st & 10 from the Miami 38 yard line, with the offense in rhythm. Could they have gotten another 3 or even 7 points out of that drive? Quite possibly.

Every turnover is worth 3 points. You have to view it like that. You turn the ball over close to, or in FG range, you're giving up 3 points. You turn the ball outside of scoring range, and the 40 yards of punt yardage that you're giving up equates to about 3 points (100 yards = 7 points). Turnovers on the goal line are worth closer to 7 points. Miami lost the turnover battle at -4. That's 12 points. They lost by 12 points. That's not a coincidence. Then you factor in other hidden yardage battles like penalties, special teams, fumble/interception returns, compare all of that with other minus plays that the other guys had, and you've got a good look at the way the ball game went.

Tony Sparano says Miami gave up 172 yards of hidden yardage, which equates to about 12 points. That's a friendly estimate, IMO. The way I see it, each turnover is worth about 40 yards. The Falcons piled on an additional 92 yards of returns on those turnovers. I tally that at 252 yards. Then you add 27 penalty yards.

On the other hand, missed FGs are turnovers. They're worth 40 yards each and Atlanta had two of them, plus they kneeled on the ball at the door step of our end zone at the end of the game...which to me is like a missed FG. A missed extra point is worth 15 yards. Atlanta's net punting average on 4 punts was only 31.0 yards, our punting average on 5 punts was 38.8 yards. That's about 35 yards lost by Atlanta in hidden yardage. On the other hand Miami's average starting field position on 5 kickoffs was it's own 17.2 yard line, where Atlanta's on 2 kickoffs was its own 47.5 yard line, and I'll call that discrepancy at about 106 yards lost by Miami.

Add it all up and Miami lost 385 hidden yards, Atlanta lost 205 hidden yards, that's about 12.5 points going against Miami. It suggests that if Miami hadn't been so much more focused on shooting themselves in the foot, they might have had a victory.

You're right, these O-lineman we have are new to the idea of blocking...

Well yes in a sense...they are new playing together...they are new playing with the wildcat and the spread.

When you consider that the LG, RG and Center are new...yes I would agree with you.

Smiley is new?

Certain things can be blamed on miscommunication, but when the defender owns you, one on one....thats all on you.

And then when they do that and the ball gets picked off, Chad Pennington is an idiot for forcing the ball into double coverage.

Listen, I understand the difference between the concepts of attacking a defense at its weakest point, versus attacking a defense with your strongest weapon. But last year the biggest strength of this offense was its well-rounded ability to attack a defense at its weakest point and win. Miami has a bunch of solid but not spectacular skill position players that are well coached. They don't have Randy Moss.

In the end, the biggest problem this last Sunday, the reason we lost the game, was because we turned the ball over four times. Anthony Fasano has to not fumble those balls. Chad Pennington has to get rid of that ball before he gets sack/fumbled, and/or someone needs to make a better protection call that doesn't leave the 270+ pound DE Kroy Biermann a free lane into the backfield with the only thing standing between him and the QB being a 230 pound Ronnie Brown. That's not smart football. Chad Pennington needs to not make a bad read in that zone drop of Mike Peterson's that resulted in an interception. Without those plays, we probably win the ball game.

The defense yielded 10 points off four turnover, each of which gave the Falcons the ball in scoring range. Could they have scored those 10 points if they hadn't been handed the ball like that? Maybe, but doubtful. So we're talking about Atlanta walking away from this game with maybe 13 or 16 points, without the turnovers.

How many would Miami have scored if it didn't turn the ball over like that? Miami was about to have a 2nd & 4 at the Falcons' 10 yard line when Fasano fumbled that first ball. That's a very favorable down and distance mark. They could convert and have a 1st & Goal from inside the 5 yard line, which yields a touchdown more often than not. They got to the Atlanta 37 yard line, basically on the door step of field goal range, and then they get a 10 yard penalty, and throw an interception. If they hadn't done that, you don't think they get 3 points out of that drive? In the third quarter, Ronnie Brown has a 14 yard run, followed by a 10 yard pass to Anthony Fasano, this coming off the aforementioned drive where they drove the ball 43 yards down the field prior to the 10 yard penalty and subsequent interference...and not long before the drive where Pennington drove them down for a touchdown. What I'm getting at is, Miami had started to find a rhythm on offense. They had started to make plays, convert downs, get yards, etc. But, on this drive, Fasano catches one for 10 yards and fumbles again. It would have been 1st & 10 from the Miami 38 yard line, with the offense in rhythm. Could they have gotten another 3 or even 7 points out of that drive? Quite possibly.

Every turnover is worth 3 points. You have to view it like that. You turn the ball over close to, or in FG range, you're giving up 3 points. You turn the ball outside of scoring range, and the 40 yards of punt yardage that you're giving up equates to about 3 points (100 yards = 7 points). Turnovers on the goal line are worth closer to 7 points. Miami lost the turnover battle at -4. That's 12 points. They lost by 12 points. That's not a coincidence. Then you factor in other hidden yardage battles like penalties, special teams, fumble/interception returns, compare all of that with other minus plays that the other guys had, and you've got a good look at the way the ball game went.

Tony Sparano says Miami gave up 172 yards of hidden yardage, which equates to about 12 points. That's a friendly estimate, IMO. The way I see it, each turnover is worth about 40 yards. The Falcons piled on an additional 92 yards of returns on those turnovers. I tally that at 252 yards. Then you add 27 penalty yards.

On the other hand, missed FGs are turnovers. They're worth 40 yards each and Atlanta had two of them, plus they kneeled on the ball at the door step of our end zone at the end of the game...which to me is like a missed FG. A missed extra point is worth 15 yards. Atlanta's net punting average on 4 punts was only 31.0 yards, our punting average on 5 punts was 38.8 yards. That's about 35 yards lost by Atlanta in hidden yardage. On the other hand Miami's average starting field position on 5 kickoffs was it's own 17.2 yard line, where Atlanta's on 2 kickoffs was its own 47.5 yard line, and I'll call that discrepancy at about 106 yards lost by Miami.

Add it all up and Miami lost 385 hidden yards, Atlanta lost 170 hidden yards, that's about 15 points going against Miami. It suggests that if Miami hadn't been so much more focused on shooting themselves in the foot, they might have had a 3 point victory.

Seems like alot of woulda..coulda..shoulda...but we have to deal with the facts...did Fasano want to fumble...of course not...it was a perfect tackle that caused that fumble. The truth as I see it is this...the Dolphins need to improve with their blocking assignments...route running and game planning. When you look at the stats...the Dolphins didn't play that badly...they just gave the game away. Errors and mistakes have to and can be corrected...but I'm disappointed that Sparano didn't have them ready to play.

Back
Top Bottom