Armando brings up a GREAT point! | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Armando brings up a GREAT point!

There is such a thin line between love and hate. If we have no turnovers last Sunday and win the game........ with the exact same people and philosophy in calling the plays.... Henning is a genius. However since we turned the ball over and had a poor outing....... he is an idiot.

I played football in high school, college, coached high school for a few years, and my dad coached high school football for 33 years. One thing I learned about play calling in this game...... the only good plays are the ones that work. When they don't work everyone, the play caller included, thinks you should have done something else. If we give R& R 40 carries last week and lose the article is the same but everyone wants to know why we didn't pass more. They'd be asking why did we try to force the running game..... why didn't we take what the defense gave us. If we tried throwing it deep to Ginn alot and it didn't work and we lost. Everyone would be screaming we need to make better use of our other players and not try to force it to Ginn. That is the way it is at every level of football from pop warner to the NFL. If what you did didn't work everyone will know how you should have done it. My dad and his coaches used to joke all the time about calling that play we score on and calling that defense where they turn the ball over.

The problem I have with all of this rhetoric is this....... how can people believe that a beat writer has more knowledge on the best ways to attack an NFL defense than an actual offensive coordinator who spends countless hours preparing and studying to do his job the best he can? Seriously some of you actually seem to think Armondo would be a better option at OC than Henning. That is when you can see who the truely desperate fans are.

We played a bad game offensively mainly due to turnovers. It was not the first time our offense has struggled and it won't be the last. Maybe if we struggle this week Armondo will be brought in to consult our offense on how to force our way into the endzone. Heck I'm sure there an 31 other teams looking for the best ways to run their offense as well...... I'm sure any team coming off a loss will have a fan base ready to buy what he is selling. I'm sure they'll like this idea............ just force your offense into the endzone regardless of what the defense is doing. Brilliant!!!

I don't believe in whole "get the ball into your playmaker's hands" idea, at least in the passing game. I do believe that we should run the ball more on average (no chance to do that in ATL) but last I checked the "Randy' ratio didn't work in Minnesota. That's one of the reasons why Mike Tice got fired. People complained earlier on this thread about us getting the ball to guys like Haynos. Well, the fact of the matter is, we made our bread and butter last year by getting guys like Haynos on the field and creating mismatches or blown coverages, resulting in big plays, big conversions, or scores. Look at the flea flicker we ran in Atlanta where we gained a good chunk of yardage. There's nothing wrong with this type of play, except in the minds of some I guess it was a waste of a play cause it didn't get the ball in the hands of Ginn.

The fact of the matter is that we give Ginn a good amount of times to make plays and he doesn't do it that often. We give it to him on end arounds and WR screens just go get the ball in his hands. I realize that Pennington doesn't throw downfield enough to utilize his one apparent skill, but the fact remains that Ginn just haven't even shown the skills at the NFL level that could make him useful to a QB like Pennington- he doesn't get open on short and intermediate routes cause he is fast but not necessarily quick and he doesn't run routes well. Pennington has gotten the ball to Bess, Camarillo, and others in the passing game very consistently, even in bad outings like the Atlanta game. I really don't think then when its third and 6, Pennington is just overlooking a wide open Ginn to throw to another receiver. I think its that Ginn, despite his ability to get deep consistently according to some on here, is there on third down. Either he's just not getting open, or he's getting extra defensive attention, in which case we really shouldn't be forcing the ball too him even if he is a "playmaker".

Our offense has thrived on being able to get the ball to the open man. If you look at most of the succesful QB's in the NFL, that's what they do more often than not because its a pretty smart offensive philosophy. That shouldn't change when we get that strong-armed QB some here desperately want- he should still throw to the open guy, and the only difference will be that he will be able to hit open guys in deeper parts of the field more regularly.

I agree...but it appears that the powers that control the team don't want to be overly aggressive...it seems they want a control type of offense...with gimmicks thrown in from time to time. I believe you attack the defense...you run to wear them out and you throw when they drop coverages to protect the run defense.

dead on

Did you read the article. Armando said pretty much exactly what you said. With the exception of Ginn, Ricky and Ronnie.

I have to take exception with Ginn being a playmaker....how anyone can compare Ginn to Ronnie and Ricky...is mind boggling.

Ginn was the 41st rated receiver last season....he may be number one in deception...but he hasn't proven yet to be worthy of being called a playmaker.

I have to take exception with Ginn being a playmaker....how anyone can compare Ginn to Ronnie and Ricky...is mind boggling.

Ginn was the 41st rated receiver last season....he may be number one in deception...but he hasn't proven yet to be worthy of being called a playmaker.

I can accept that.. But he is our #1 designated receiver. And thought of as our "playmaker' in the passing game by many. My receiving playker is Bess. But Ginn seems to be thought of as the better "playmaker"

I can accept that.. But he is our #1 designated receiver. And thought of as our "playmaker' in the passing game by many. My receiving playker is Bess. But Ginn seems to be thought of as the better "playmaker"

I rather think of Carpenter as a playmaker than Ginn...at least Carpenter scores more points....103 to 24 for ginn rummy.

Ronnie and Ricky are what will win us ball games on offense. Whether they are rushing or catching out of the back field, those are our play makers. Feed them the rock and watch us move the ball.

I completely agree with Armondo, and I don't really care where he got his info or if he figured it out himself. He is spot on with this article.

There is such a thin line between love and hate. If we have no turnovers last Sunday and win the game........ with the exact same people and philosophy in calling the plays.... Henning is a genius. However since we turned the ball over and had a poor outing....... he is an idiot.

I played football in high school, college, coached high school for a few years, and my dad coached high school football for 33 years. One thing I learned about play calling in this game...... the only good plays are the ones that work. When they don't work everyone, the play caller included, thinks you should have done something else. If we give R& R 40 carries last week and lose the article is the same but everyone wants to know why we didn't pass more. They'd be asking why did we try to force the running game..... why didn't we take what the defense gave us. If we tried throwing it deep to Ginn alot and it didn't work and we lost. Everyone would be screaming we need to make better use of our other players and not try to force it to Ginn. That is the way it is at every level of football from pop warner to the NFL. If what you did didn't work everyone will know how you should have done it. My dad and his coaches used to joke all the time about calling that play we score on and calling that defense where they turn the ball over.

The problem I have with all of this rhetoric is this....... how can people believe that a beat writer has more knowledge on the best ways to attack an NFL defense than an actual offensive coordinator who spends countless hours preparing and studying to do his job the best he can? Seriously some of you actually seem to think Armondo would be a better option at OC than Henning. That is when you can see who the truely desperate fans are.

We played a bad game offensively mainly due to turnovers. It was not the first time our offense has struggled and it won't be the last. Maybe if we struggle this week Armondo will be brought in to consult our offense on how to force our way into the endzone. Heck I'm sure there an 31 other teams looking for the best ways to run their offense as well...... I'm sure any team coming off a loss will have a fan base ready to buy what he is selling. I'm sure they'll like this idea............ just force your offense into the endzone regardless of what the defense is doing. Brilliant!!!

No one is suggesting a beat writer for OC. But even a beat writer wouldn't derail a promising drive by sticking in Pat White after gaining a couple of first downs, then running a gong show of QB keepers, running back throwback passes, and flea flicker passes from the wide receiver to the backup tight end... the wide receiver mind you who was signed to a multi million dollar contract to CATCH balls, not throw them. It was a serious circus on that field when Miami had the ball.

The OC has accountability. Let's not forget that.

Don't let wordsmithery fool you. "Taking what a defense gives you" is the same thing as "attacking a defense at its weakest point".

Without writing a couple of paragraphs about how the dolphins is playing, we can safely just say that Miami is just too conservative and they love to avoid taking chances.

That is not the worst thing in the world but when you are turning the ball over like an idiot on every play then that will just complicate matters.

[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Before Super Bowl VIII against Minnesota, Joe Namath said on television, "If Miami gets the kickoff and scores on the opening drive, the game is over." Miami got the kickoff, scored on the opening drive and the game was over. In all three 1973 playoff games, the Dolphins took their opening drive on methodical marches of between 60 and 80 yards, between eight and 10 plays, and in no less than five minutes and no more than eight minutes scored the opening touchdowns. They were never tied or trailed thereafter. They won one game by 18 points and two by 17. The defense didn't give up a first-half touchdown in the three games. The offense finished with at least 196 yards rushing in each game. Griese passed all of six times in the AFC Championship against Oakland and seven against Minnesota when Csonka set Super Bowl records of 145 yards on 33 carries.[/SIZE][/FONT]

WOW...What an idea...run the football, pass little...hmmm.

Csonka has 33 carries...and Ronnie and Ricky 17 together...O'Yes..we are going in the right direction.

RUN THE DARN FOOTBALL, You idiots!!!

You want a receiver...

For most of Warfield's tenure in Miami the Dolphins ran an offense which stressed running the ball. Warfield was considered a major threat on any given play. Even though he only caught 29 passes during the 1973 NFL season, 11 of those receptions were touchdowns, with four coming in the first half of the regular season finale. Three years earlier, when he arrived in Miami, he caught only 28 passes but he averaged 25.1 yards per catch.

28 X 25 YDS AVG IS 700 YDS...what did Ginn get...in a full 16 game season...where corners can't mug you after 5 yds?

And that was with the great cannon armed QB named B. Griese...:chuckle:

The only chance that Ginn will ever get to the NFL Hall of Fame is to buy a ticket and look at Warfields statue....to see what a great receiver looks like.

[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Before Super Bowl VIII against Minnesota, Joe Namath said on television, "If Miami gets the kickoff and scores on the opening drive, the game is over." Miami got the kickoff, scored on the opening drive and the game was over. In all three 1973 playoff games, the Dolphins took their opening drive on methodical marches of between 60 and 80 yards, between eight and 10 plays, and in no less than five minutes and no more than eight minutes scored the opening touchdowns. They were never tied or trailed thereafter. They won one game by 18 points and two by 17. The defense didn't give up a first-half touchdown in the three games. The offense finished with at least 196 yards rushing in each game. Griese passed all of six times in the AFC Championship against Oakland and seven against Minnesota when Csonka set Super Bowl records of 145 yards on 33 carries.[/SIZE][/FONT]

WOW...What an idea...run the football, pass little...hmmm.

Csonka has 33 carries...and Ronnie and Ricky 17 together...O'Yes..we are going in the right direction.

RUN THE DARN FOOTBALL, You idiots!!!
Of course R & R attempts are going to be down given the context of the game. In the 4th quarter Miami had a pass/run ratio of 14/2 given the score of the game. You would really be okay with Miami running the ball in the 4th quarter down by 19?

If Miami was up by 19 instead of down by 19 the pass/run ratio would most likely be reversed leading to R & R having similar attempts to Csonka.

Of course R & R attempts are going to be down given the context of the game. In the 4th quarter Miami had a pass/run ratio of 14/2 given the score of the game. You would really be okay with Miami running the ball in the 4th quarter down by 19?

If Miami was up by 19 instead of down by 19 the pass/run ratio would most likely be reversed leading to R & R having similar attempts to Csonka.

I'm sorry that BS...they don't run enough be it in the first half or the second half....it doesn't matter if your down...running gets you the pass...not the other way around. I rather believe that if they ran more..alot more...they wouldn't be down 19 points. You can't score points if your standing on the sidelines...and when you get ahead and run...you take up time and make the defense tired...this is not theory...it's proven fact.

The coaching staff appears not to have any faith in the offense. Henning is calling plays not to lose the game instead of to win. There is no swagger to the offense. If something goes right its almost like they are surprised.

Back
Top Bottom