Armando - More details on the Tannehill Philbin relationship | Page 14 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Armando - More details on the Tannehill Philbin relationship

Philbin always looked kind of reptilian so the fact that he was a snake is no surprise.

BNF.

Meh, I am not a Tannehill guy, but Joe did more to hurt this team than Tannehill could ever do.

Naanee, Bess, Hartline, Armstrong, Marlon Moore, Armon Binns . . . While trading away a top 10 wr. Any coach that would set up his qb, let alone a first round investment at qb with that type of group at wr has no room to place blame.

Joe Philbin did not bring those guys in, the GM did. That isn't on Joe one bit.

Translated message reads as follows:

Joe Philbin is no longer the head coach of the Miami Dolphins, while Ryan Tannehill remains the presumptive starting quarterback of the team. However, this is a mistaken half-measure, as the team should have cut ties with both of them this season. The Miami Dolphins need to move on with a quarterback who is better equipped to deal with lousy pass protection. The lousy pass protection is not all the fault of the offensive line. The lousy pass protection is also the fault of Ryan Tannehill.

I am not ready to say that Tannehill is finished in Miami and that he is beyond repair. He has had to deal with a couple of different coordinators that wouldn't allow him to audible or create something on his own. How can he be expected to be a bona fide leader when the coaching staff doesn't stand behind him and allow him to run the offense? I am hopeful that Gase sees something in him between now and the draft so that they won't have to use a high draft pick on a possible replacement. There are way too many other holes to fill that are a much higher priority than QB.

Hopefully the offseason brings some good news as far as Tannehill, Landry, Parker and the rest of the WR corps working together to develop the chemistry that will be needed for them to take the steps to become a better unit. Even hanging out and getting to know each other will go a long ways towards building some camaraderie. I know that Tannehill doesn't get into the "party" lifestyle but maybe he can get to know his teammates on their turf and they can build the trust needed.

I know I am always overly optimistic when it comes to the Dolphins but I see good things in the near and long-term future. The assemblage of the coaching staff seems to make a lot of sense on paper. Hopefully that translates to the field. Maybe they are finally getting it right after so many bad hires? I hate to say it, but it would be difficult to do worse.

Correct. You were right to bash him, and I was wrong to defend him.

You've gotta believe that if it were up to Philbin, Sherman would have been mis-coaching right up til the bitter end. And as an apparent concession to him, then leaving his neophyte nepotistic son in law in place to develop the franchise's most important asset* only underscores that Philbin cared less about the state of the team than he did his butt buddies. I also kept giving him the benefit of the doubt.. but should have known better as soon as he got rid of the Leadership Council, including Reggie, the player advancing the franchise's face most positively, who was begging to stay and would have given a home discount.. Not only was Philbin a poor coach, it turns out he was also a control freak of a scumbag too.

*Hue Jackson recently said that he only started getting serious consideration for higher level positions once he became the QB coach because of its visibility in developing the team's most important asset.

You've gotta believe that if it were up to Philbin, Sherman would have been mis-coaching right up til the bitter end. And as an apparent concession to him, then leaving his neophyte nepotistic son in law in place to develop the franchise's most important asset* only underscores that Philbin cared less about the state of the team than he did his butt buddies. I also kept giving him the benefit of the doubt.. but should have known better as soon as he got rid of the Leadership Council, including Reggie, the player advancing the franchise's face most positively, who was begging to stay and would have given a home discount.. Not only was Philbin a poor coach, it turns out he was also a control freak of a scumbag too.

*Hue Jackson recently said that he only started getting serious consideration for higher level positions once he became the QB coach because of its visibility in developing the team's most important asset.

Steve Ross made several big mistakes with Joe Philbin, but I think the two most ridiculous ones were when he told Joe "You fire Sherman, or I fire you" and then supposedly later "You fire Coyle, or I fire you."

Steve, if you really feel that strongly that Joe hired bad assistants, and Joe is going to bat for them, then why not just fire Joe? If his judgment is that far apart from your judgment, why would you continue to employ him as your head coach?

Just silly stuff.

Steve Ross made several big mistakes with Joe Philbin, but I think the two most ridiculous ones were when he told Joe "You fire Sherman, or I fire you" and then supposedly later "You fire Coyle, or I fire you."

Steve, if you really feel that strongly that Joe hired bad assistants, and Joe is going to bat for them, then why not just fire Joe? If his judgment is that far apart from your judgment, why would you continue to employ him as your head coach?

Just silly stuff.

In retrospect, the best outcome for the Fins would have been losing game 15. Then so humiliatingly defeated in game 16, there's no way that Ross could have kept Philbin in play. That victory over MN provided Ross with the excuse to sidestep the decision he should have made all along. We'd have lost the last 4 games, moved on to another HC, OC, QB coach and DC instead of being the 2015 freak show. The only good I can see that came out of it was getting the 14th pick and Parker still being available.

Guys the tragedy of this article isn't Philbin or Tannehill or their poisoned relationship.
The tragedy is the absentee owner who allowed this to happen. I like Ross but this is a monumental mistake.

I keep asking myself why was Joe retained?

Really couldn't tell you. It seems like Lazor's initial positive effect on Tannehill gave Ross warm fuzzies about his team, as broken as they were. What can I say other than a lot of people on here also liked Lazor in 2014, myself included. Not everyone, and kudos to them for having that foresight.

It really is bizarre as others have stated, why Ross would see the OC and QB's progress as hand-in-hand with Philbin deserving to remain HC, considering just how badly he botched many of his other HC duties. Maybe Ross saw that Tannehill would be his new superstar and be the face of Miami sports, sell jerseys by the thousands, drive up attendance, etc etc. Maybe Ross thought that a few tiny bright spots like that made Joe's hollow words have some substance, and the team would somehow turn it around.

I dunno but Ross is certainly making up his own idea of what a good team looks like every year.

Back
Top Bottom